Author Topic: Certified organic coffee and more  (Read 2311 times)

Offline robbie_d

Certified organic coffee and more
« on: April 07, 2019, 01:38:42 AM »
Hi all,

This is my first post.

I am wondering where i can buy certified organic coffee, how much it costs and for how many Kg.

Also, i am wondering the same thing for the following items which do not have to be organic.

Red rice
- longstamen red rice (from Africa)
- Red cargo rice (from Thailand)
- Camargue red rice (from Southern France)
- Bhutanese red rice (from Bhutan)

Kangaroo Brand Australian Low GI (white) Rice (GI = glycemic index)

white or red quinoa
wild rice 
Chinese black rice (not the glutinous black rice)

One gallon jugs of:
Distilled water
or
Reverse osmosis water
or whatever sizes are sold.

The area in which i am trying to find these products (and their quantities and prices) is Balanga City, Baatan. 
I found one health food store in the area, online, but being a foreigner living in another country, i'm feeling a little apprehensive about asking the store for prices in case of "dishonesty".   

Thank you

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Certified organic coffee and more
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 05:29:14 PM »
Hi all,

This is my first post.

I am wondering where i can buy certified organic coffee, how much it costs and for how many Kg.

Also, i am wondering the same thing for the following items which do not have to be organic.

Red rice
- longstamen red rice (from Africa)
- Red cargo rice (from Thailand)
- Camargue red rice (from Southern France)
- Bhutanese red rice (from Bhutan)

Kangaroo Brand Australian Low GI (white) Rice (GI = glycemic index)

white or red quinoa
wild rice 
Chinese black rice (not the glutinous black rice)

One gallon jugs of:
Distilled water
or
Reverse osmosis water
or whatever sizes are sold.

The area in which i am trying to find these products (and their quantities and prices) is Balanga City, Baatan. 
I found one health food store in the area, online, but being a foreigner living in another country, i'm feeling a little apprehensive about asking the store for prices in case of "dishonesty".   

Thank you

Robbie.

Welcome to the group.

There is a Robinsons in Balanga, which MAY have some imported stuff, but I haven't been in it for a great number of years.

Waltermart on the highway (not the National Road) to Orion, just before the main LTO turnoff, outside Balanga proper, also has some imported products. A fairly good selection of cheeses last year when we were there, for example, so that could be your first stop in your continuing search.  :) :) :) They have only been open a couple of years, so were still expanding their retail outlets. Last year a healthfood store was in the process of opening.

Probably the best place to look for most of these items, particularly the rice, would be, IMHO, the "Royal Supermarket" in the SBMA (Subic Bay Metropolitan Area) adjacent to Olongopo. They have a large and varied selection of imported products from GB, USA, EU and Aus/NZ. There are also 2 "PureGolds" in the SBMA, a warehouse style one near the "Royal" traffic lights and regular supermarket in Harbor Point, both of which may be worth a look as they also have imported items.

There is (so-called) organic coffee beans available from SaveMore and SM mall supermarkets. We use Barako coffee sourced from Batangas. SM have a small Mall in Olongopo, just a short walk across a bridge from Harbor Point, in the SBMA.

There is distilled water readily available in most shops. Prices are on, or should be on, the shelves. We prefer "Absolute", which are in green labelled 1, 2, 4 and 6 litre containers.

There is an S&R in San Fernando Pampanga, if you're willing to travel that far. This is a "shoppers' club" type of operation. You pay a yearly fee to shop. We did find the odd item there we "couldn't do without"  :D when it first opened, but in general we found their products were vastly overpriced for our needs. We let the membership lapse after 2 years and haven't missed it. Robinsons and SM also have large malls in San Fernando, both of which we visit about once a month.

Hope this helps, but shout out if you've any more questions.

Peter (in Hermosa)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 05:54:55 PM by Peter »
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 06:50:34 PM »
Another outlet for good western items is Metro which is in Ayala Mall.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP LEE ***

Offline Colin

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Living in Puerto Princesa, Palawan
    • The Philippine Journal
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 04:54:06 AM »
We have a water cooler/heater and buy the several refills a time from a local reverse osmosis supplier. We have changed a few times over the years if we had doubts about them doing routine maintenance but have never had any quality problems. The heater side is very useful for making coffee.

Colin
Colin
Puerto Princesa, Palawan & London, UK

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 07:32:33 AM »
Robbie,

My bad!!!!!

< ... Waltermart on the highway (not the National Road) to Orion, just before the main LTO turnoff, outside Balanga proper, .... >

The wife's reading over my shoulder and says it's Vista Mall, not Waltermart. So who am I to argue?  ;) ;)

Apologies.

Peter

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 09:57:52 PM »
we get Organic ifugao white rice at the local rice dealers, and organic black rice at Robinsons.   As far as other "organic" items I am skeptical, I see many many many items marked as organic, but if you ask what makes the product organic you get a blank stare.  I am not sure if there are any agencies that oversee farming/produce etc to ensure it really is organic. 

Offline robbie_d

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 01:43:26 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks for the hearty welcome.

Wow! So many suggestions. I thank you, all, very much for your time.

But i am not over there. I'm sitting in still cold and rainy Montreal, Canada.
(You, lucky buggers!)

I am asking these questions because i've recently met, online, a brilliant young woman (a mother of two) in a songwriters forum.
She has a beautiful mind and her priorities in life are definitely in the right place. She never asks for money but i see a need.

We were discussing some health topics, and she sent me legit photos (with her name on each page) of her blood test results for a stubborn urinary tract infection which she's had since January.
I clearly saw, she is on her way to a serious kidney infection which could be fatal. She has severe pain in both kidneys.
She thought she only had a UTI, but i see a kidney infection blooming or perhaps even blossoming.
Statistics show that Asians are prone to kidney infections. Go figure!
I am very anti-BigPharma/medicine and treatments.
He doctor gave her drugs. One pill causes her to have abdominal cramps and another pill relieves those cramps but has it's own side effects. This is madness!
For MOST health issues, the problems stare up at us from our meal plates.
I asked her what she was eating, and she told me.
I gasped!!
She said, "What else is there to eat besides what i'm eating?"
That was it! I felt she really needed someone in-the-know to step in a bit further into her life and show her what else there is - even if i have to buy it myself.

I told her that doctors only study drugs and symptoms, and rarely about food and proper nutrition.
EVERY Pharma drug is eventually always liver-toxic.
So, yes, the doctor might help solve the UTI, but is not treating her kidney infection which could also spread to the bladder. His drugs will hurt her liver until she breaks down and will need (really unnecessary) operations which will severely alter her life unless she changes her diet, and starts natural, healthier treatments her body can and will recognize.
After she took the Pharma drugs, she still has kidney pain.
BigPharma didn't help.

The sad fact is this: A sick person is a doctor's steady client - until the client dies. "NEXT patient!"
The rest of my being in this forum is self-explanatory.

I'm pretty worried about this intelligent, single mom of two, young, pre-school boys. It would be a great shame if the worst situation grabbed hold of her health.
Another sad fact is she is young (early twenties), so this generation is the fast-food convenience-food generation.
In one of her facebook posts, she had a bowl of white rice and a caption which read, "POWER FOOD".
I shook my head.

I will have to do google searches for these shops/places, roads, and areas mentioned to see how close they are to Balanga City.
National Road, and Orion (according to the map of Balanga City) are clearly in the area, but other places mentioned are not clear. I'll have to search for these malls.

I am interested to know of locations in, or very near to, Balanga City at which to buy my list of items, and the prices for those items only.
Not Olongopo or San Fernando which seem pretty far on a map.
She just moved from living all alone in Olongopo to live with her mom (who's been caring her youngest son) in Balanga on my advice. I am happy she did that.
I don't know how costly public transportation is over there, and how long it would take to go there and back. She doesn't have a car and also doesn't have much time to run around asking for prices and specific items. I'm not there so i can't do this myself. (The internet is great, isn't it?)

My health-food-store search only showed one shop in Balanga City, at 382 Camia Street.
The phone number is 0 (939) 462-6079. I can't/won't call long-distance to ask questions to a shop clerk. I asked her to call but she's busy with work (a new job since April 1 2019).
She said she's managing a Hola Hola street food place? (shrugs shoulders) 

"So-called organic coffee" is certainly NOT certified organic. This coffee i want will not be for drinking, it will be used for inserting somewhere else into the human body.
It has to have the legitimate "certified organic" stamping on the package. I am not interested in dealing with "deceptive" shops who pass things off as organic or distilled when they're not.

I've searched for the Absolute distilled water - looks great. What is the ballpark price (in pesos) for the 6-liter bottle? I'm assuming a larger quantity means a lower price - or am i incorrect for assuming that.

I am, personally, only interested in the list i've posted because these foods are low glycemic index (GI) foods.
I didn't mention white rice (as its very high on the GI chart), or cheeses.

Nobody mentioned any prices.
I am not rich or even close to a being well-off guy. I'm struggling, myself, but my Canadian dollars can help buy her better quality food and buy her much more effective, natural treatments which is what the organic coffee and distilled water are for.
Once she is better, i can then suggest other lifestyle changes and health protocols so that she will NEVER become sick ever again.

I think i had read somewhere on this forum (if i'm not mistaken) that the city name would be necessary to mention in order to get accurate pricing as prices can vary from city to city.
I'm aware of the huge exchange rate but i was online checking out juice extractors and other small kitchen appliances sold over there, and when i converted the cost from pesos to Canadian dollars, there was not much of a difference to what i would pay in Montreal. It was only a quick search, though.

"Fair Trade" coffee will not do, nor will "so called organic".
Besides, the only "organic" item i am looking for is the coffee.
If it has to be imported, so be it. I'll send her the money to buy what she really needs to eat.
Okay, i have to search for those places mentioned.

Oh, one more question, please.
Robinsons was mentioned.
I did a quick google search and saw a few places with "Robinsons".
One place is simply called, "Robinson" on Anonas Street.
There is a place called, "Robinsons Place Bataan" on Dr. F. Anacleto Ave.
Another place called, "Robinsons Department Store Bataan" which looks like it's on Bonifacio Street.
Another place is,"Robinsons Supermarket" which looks like it's on Paterno Street.

Which Robinsons is it, please?

Thank you, all.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 03:09:16 AM by robbie_d »

Offline robbie_d

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 09:34:08 AM »
Hey all,

Life is funny, isn't it?

Two months ago, i never even thought of The Philippines, and now, i spend most of my days learning about where to shop in the Luzon area for black and or red rice, quinoa, pumpernickel bread, distilled water and organic coffee.

Please, remember that i am NOT in The Philippines nor have i ever been there - i am a blond-haired, blue-eyed Irish/Italian born and raised in Montreal, Canada.
My older (sixty-year-old) brother is living in Montreal with his Filipina wife who is twenty-five years his junior.
They have a twelve-year-old (autistic) child. My brother and i had a serious falling out about twelve years ago and as a consequence, i, very sadly, don't even know my own nephew, sister-in-law, and my own brother anymore. 
His wife is all i ever briefly knew about The Philippines - until recently, that is.

I am not looking for Western items, really. Most of the foods i am looking for are not from North America. They're more from Asia and South America.
I'm actually not so keen about the North American/European diet. I, personally, prefer Asian style food. I was even a Thai chef's apprentice for over two and a half years. So, Asian foods are the best, i think.
If and when i buy meat, i slice it and tenderize it for stir-fried dishes or soups.
I don't eat "steaks or "pork chops" nor do i cook roasts as "normal" white people do. I've been called an "egg" by Asian people.
I, rarely, shop in North American-styled supermarkets. I shop mostly in Montreal's Chinatown area.

In North America, a "mall" is a large complex with many different types of businesses inside the mall. Each store in the mall is a small space rented out to each business owner. There are ice cream parlors, clothing shops, electronic stores, shoe stores, kitchen supply stores, linen shops, dollar stores, beauty salons, fitness centers, women's makeup stores, barber shops, etc, and of course, there's always a food court with varied international types of cuisine.

What exactly is a "mall" in the Philippines, please? People are telling me to shop at Vista Mall or the  Robinsons Mall as if the whole "mall" is a (health)food store.

- Robinsons Mall.
   That's a mall, right? Or is that the name of a specific store in the mall?
   It's a little confusing. Is there like a food section and a clothing section and an electronics
   section all inside this Robinsons Mall place?

- Vista Mall Bataan is located on Highway 301 just across from the Capt Pio Del Mundo Street
   intersection, correct?
  That's the one? Is that a supermarket-type of place?

- The Metro in the Ayaya Mall is in the SBMA as is the Puregold Duty-Free store.   
  We have a supermarket chain, in Montreal, called, Metro. I wonder if it's the same franchise
  and the same type of store?   
  Ahh! Okay, i just saw their store logo and it differs from the Montreal Metro stores.
  The Filipino Metro seems to function more like the Migros, in Switzerland.

- Royal Supermarket at the Subic Bay Metropolitan Area.
   It says "Duty-Free", when i searched google for, "Subic Bay Metropolitan Area".
   What does"Duty-Free" mean, in this case, exactly? I know what Duty-Free means in a
   commercial airport while traveling abroad. Does one need to be in the military or something
   to access this area? Is there a membership needed to shop there?
   My friend's brother is either in the Filipino Coast Guard or in the seafaring military. I've
   forgotten what she told me. Does that help her with getting access to the SBMA?
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subic_Bay_Freeport_Zone#Shopping_centers

Thanks, again, eh.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 10:20:35 AM by robbie_d »

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 02:07:24 PM »
Robbie.

I won't comment on the medical needs of your friend, just to say, things sometimes,  in my experience here, aren't what they seem.

Now going on with things I do know.

I did think from your original post that you were already here, so just gave general hints of areas of interest.

Balanga, although the Capital City of the Bataan, is a very small place in terms of population and amenities, but is probably the world's centre of trikes.  :)

The Robinsons I referred to, is Robinsons Supermarket in the Robinsons Victoria Mall, Brg. Poblacion. It's in the town centre at the bottom end of Capitol Drive, near St Joseph's Cathedral. There was a very nasty fire on the premises last year, which took 2 days to bring under control, so I would say everyone, yes, everyone, in Balanga knows of it. Wife says it re-opened quickly and is operating normally.

The closest and easily accessible shopping area to her, for the items you require, may be the Vista Mall, just a short (5/10 minutes?) trike/jeepney ride from Balanga town centre. Another place for her to consider would be the PureGold Store on Capitol Drive. Both these places are open 7 days a week and she should know that if she's resident there.

Olongopo is about a 35/40 minute bus ride from Balanga (Either Genesis or Victory I've been told), while San Fernando is around an hour. The Balanga - SF route is served by Genesis and Bataan Transit (both a/c buses), as well as provincial "mini-buses" running that way. So it's no great hardship to travel to either place. It should be around PhP 80 each way on an a/c bus, PhP 55 on "mini-bus". As your friend has lived in Olongopo and travelled to Balanga, she should already be au fait with these bus lines. As well as the Olongopo/SBMA Malls.

I use the bus quite frequently, as I only drive in an emergency these days. Eye sight probelms  :( :(  and find them a convenient and stress free way to travel. The a/c buses have cavernous, under-floor storage areas, so larger items or boxes are not a problem. I've even seen a 4 metre, folding, step ladder coming out at one stop!!!!

The Genesis , Bataan Transit, Victory, First North Luzon and Saulog bus lines, which are operating in our area, are very clean and the drivers don't seem to be too crazy. LOL!

As jjcab pointed out, if a local product has "Organic" on it, it may not be to the standards we as westerners, expect.
Two examples.
Fish farmed Tilapia is sold in our market (Dinalupihan) as 'organic'. But they are, the wife says, fed the cheapest fish-feed pellets the farmer can find.
'Organic raised' chicken? It only means they may, or may not, be kept outside during the day and ground feed whatever they can find, with a few supplements thrown in.  (What we would call 'free-range' in the UK.) Organic? Maybe yes, maybe no. Who can say what the wind might blow in?

Imported UK/US/EU/Aus certified organic products are available, but they will not be available everywhere and you will pay an arm and a leg.

Water.
As I said we, mainly I, use Absolute Distilled for drinking, which is PhP 79 or 80.00 depending on the shop, per 6 litre container.
The Municipality piped-in water is clean (my American chemist friend tested it last year and it came up pure enough for him to drink during their stay with us. LOL!). We use the kitchen tap water, via a particulate filter, for cooking, washing up, boiling for tea, coffee, etc. etc. We also use tap water for bathroom activities; teeth cleaning and washing. No problems there.

We also have a water dispenser in the kitchen, which costs PhP 25.00 for a 20 litre "purified" refill. Delivered to the house from a local (Govt. certified) water station for that price. My wife (and daughter) prefer that water to drink and my wife uses it to make ice for selling in her store.
I don't drink any cold/chilled drinks or anything with ice in it, so I stick to the room temperature distilled.

SaveMore supermarkets stock imported red, brown and jasmine rice. SM Mall supermarkets have many more varieties. We use a local rice named "Blueberry". It's very similar to Basmati rice and the wife mixes it 50/50 with brown rice. Organic? Don't know, but it tastes good.

There is a SaveMore in Dinalupihan, where I go quite regularly, so next time I'll have a look at the varieties and prices. We'll probably be in San Fernando over Easter when our daughter is home from university, so visits to Robinsons and SM Malls are on the cards.

The bottom line really, as you don't think she has time, is for you to try to arrange a visit here and look at the options available. Very difficult for me to give relevant nutritional advice, as I just eat, to a certain extent, what I'm given  ;) ;) ;)

Hola Hola?  Last time I checked, that could be Mexican style street food. Maybe she means Halo Halo?

Health foods? Robinsons in SF has a Chinese herbal store where I sometimes get herbal medicines/remedies. They may be places for your friend to source some organic foodstuff or grains. Just an afterthought,

HTHs.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 02:25:53 PM by Peter »

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 02:55:07 PM »
Robbie.

I think our posts overlapped.

A "Mall" in the Philippines, can be anything from a full size, Western style, shopping centre to a small building with a supermarket with a couple of franchised outlets.

SM and Robinsons in San Fernando are full sized shopping centres with multi screen cinemas. Each has lots of shops, restos, hardware store, computer/tech zones selling all the latest gadgets, etc. etc.

Vista Mall Balanga, is a medium sized mall with a large international grocery store and probably 60 or 70 other outlets. Some restos as well.

No info on Robinsons, Balanga as I haven't been there for many a year.

Harbor Point Mall in the SBMA is a medium sized mall with a large PureGold supermarket and maybe 100 shops, cinema, full size dining restaurants, a pub or two (TGIF, Paddys) and the usual fast food outlets, Jollibee, Chow King, MacDohs, KFC, Yellow Cab Pizza, Korean restos. etc.
We eat at "Buddha's Bowl" when there. Nice if you like "hot" food.

Anyone can enter the SBMA. Tricycles and PUV's are banned. Traffic rules are American style and are seriously enforced. Cyclists must wear protective headgear as must m/c riders.

SBMA and "Duty Free". No, not retail duty free. It's business duty free if you invest in the duty free area, which is only part of the SBMA. Items purchased by individuals in retail outlets, still attract taxes.  So that's really clear as ....... mud?  :D :D :D :D :D

Peter

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 03:07:03 PM by Peter »

Offline robbie_d

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 06:23:57 AM »
Hi Peter and everyone else.

I won't comment on the medical needs of your friend, just to say, things sometimes,  in my experience here, aren't what they seem.
Hmm, i'm not quite sure what you are hinting at but i can appreciate your concern.
However, i did study her blood test results which were dated in March 2019, stamped and signed by various doctors. Earlier in our communications (which all started four months ago), she had shown me a photo of her Philippines health-card with her full name on it, with her photo, her date of birth. She is not tricking me if that's what you mean. If she was trying to, i'm sure she would have come right out and asked for financial help with a sob story by now. She hasn't asked me for a thing. Nadda!
Actually, she did ask me if i could help her find a job in Montreal as a maid. But i told her she would have to apply for a work visa and a passport and to learn to speak some French. I guided her to Immigration Canada online to ask for information.
Since then, i've started giving her online French lessons and teaching her the Montreal French (Joual) vernacular.

I did think from your original post that you were already here...
You must have overlooked this last paragraph in my first post.
By the way, i contacted that "health" store on Camia Street.  They sell tubes of toothpaste with fluoride in it (yea, that's really healthy). They don't sell any food, there.
They are more of a natural-supplement pharmacy.

The Robinsons I referred to, is Robinsons Supermarket in the Robinsons Victoria Mall, Brg. Poblacion. It's in the town centre at the bottom end of Capitol Drive, near St Joseph's Cathedral. There was a very nasty fire on the premises last year, which took 2 days to bring under control, so I would say everyone, yes, everyone, in Balanga knows of it. Wife says it re-opened quickly and is operating normally.
The address is, "2F, Galeria Victoria, JP Rizal St., Poblacion, City of Balanga,"
Thanks for the locations. You are helping me a lot.
She's only been living in Balanga for about a week so far.
She would visit her mom and youngest child once in a while. She is not very familiar with the city, just yet. It'll come with time.
But i doubt she would know about that fire unless she asks someone when she asks for directions to get to Robinsons Supermarket and the topic of a big fire should arise.

The closest and easily accessible shopping area to her, for the items you require, may be the Vista Mall, just a short (5/10 minutes?) trike/jeepney ride from Balanga town centre.
Is this the address for Vista Mall? 
Bataan Provincial Hwy,
MG3M+WJ City of Balanga,
As i had asked in a previous post - "...just facing the intersection of Capt. Pio Del Mundo and Bataan Provincial Hwy intersection"?

Another place for her to consider would be the PureGold Store on Capitol Drive. Both these places are open 7 days a week and she should know that if she's resident there.
Address: Recar Commerical Complex, Capitol Drive
Located in: Recar Commercial Complex
MGHR+C2 City of Balanga
The entrance to this complex seems to be on the corner of Zulueta Street and Capitol Drive. She is a new resident there since about one week. She's been spending a lot of quality time with her youngest child and with her own mom.
I'm sure her mom's been doing the shopping.
Because of me, though, she will probably have to venture out to shop for my list of foods, on her own. She owns a scooter or a small motorcycle. She sent a photo of her with it. I would prefer she uses the air-conditioned buses to bring this all back home. I wonder if the gas (petrol) for her scooter would be less expensive to get her there and back on these food-runs.

Olongopo is about a 35/40 minute bus ride from Balanga (Either Genesis or Victory I've been told), while San Fernando is around an hour. The Balanga - SF route is served by Genesis and Bataan Transit (both a/c buses), as well as provincial "mini-buses" running that way. So it's no great hardship to travel to either place. It should be around PhP 80 each way on an a/c bus, PhP 55 on "mini-bus". As your friend has lived in Olongopo and travelled to Balanga, she should already be au fait with these bus lines. As well as the Olongopo/SBMA Malls.
Yep, yep. She has mentioned taking the bus to visit mom. I am not sure about her shopping habits, though. As you say, she should know about the SBMA Malls. I'll run it by her and see what she says about it. Olongopo is not her hometown, though. I am not sure for how long she was living there, actually. 

I use the bus quite frequently, as I only drive in an emergency these days. Eye sight probelms  :( :(
So sorry to hear about your eyes problems. What is the issue with your eyes, if i may ask? Glaucomo, perhaps?

As jjcab pointed out, if a local product has "Organic" on it, it may not be to the standards we as westerners, expect.
Two examples.
Fish farmed Tilapia is sold in our market (Dinalupihan) as 'organic'. But they are, the wife says, fed the cheapest fish-feed pellets the farmer can find.
'Organic raised' chicken? It only means they may, or may not, be kept outside during the day and ground feed whatever they can find, with a few supplements thrown in.  (What we would call 'free-range' in the UK.) Organic? Maybe yes, maybe no. Who can say what the wind might blow in?
Fish farms aren't the best. I've seen on YouTube how many fish farms are filthy. I've stopped eating fish, altogether. I get my omega-3 from chia seeds.
I'll have some fresh, steamed oysters once in a while.

I'd much rather eat that chicken instead of the chickens in those HUGE chicken houses where the sunlight never touches their backs.
However, i am pretty much a plant-based eater for 90% of the time. 

Imported UK/US/EU/Aus certified organic products are available, but they will not be available everywhere and you will pay an arm and a leg.
Please define, "...will pay an arm and a leg", please?
Do you mean "an arm and a leg" in Php? Or in our western money?

In Montreal, i pay $10.00 (Canadian) for a 2 Kg bag of black rice.
And $7.45 for a 2 Kg bag of red rice. Both are not organic.

I could buy the following white rice:
Ox Head brand Scented rice 36 pounds $44.00.                                                 

Phoenix Jasmine rice 20 kg $50.00   
Phoenix Jasmine rice 8.18 kg $24.00   

Nupak long grain white rice 8 kg $12.00

Rice Of China brand (for restaurant and business) 44 lbs $35.00

But i stopped eating white rice almost altogether. Sometimes i'll mix it into the black and red rice - but not often. Mostly if i have guests for dinner because they have no idea about the many health benefits of black or red so they wouldn't really appreciate it. You know?... you don't serve caviar to people who will probably spit it out. 

Water.
As I said we, mainly I, use Absolute Distilled for drinking, which is PhP 79 or 80.00 depending on the shop, per 6 litre container.
According to a money conversion website, PhP 80.00  is equal to $2.05 Canadian.
6 liters of distilled water is PhP 80.00.
8 liters (or 2 gallons) of distilled water is $1.98 ($0.99 per gallon) at Montreal Walmarts (no taxes on grocery food, here). There is one Montreal pharmacy that sells one gallon for $1.60 per gallon but if you buy three or more, it's like $1.40 or less per gallon.
So, distilled water is actually less expensive in Montreal's Walmarts than it is in The Philippines. Hmm, that's interesting.

The Municipality piped-in water is clean (my American chemist friend tested it last year and it came up pure enough for him to drink during their stay with us. LOL!).
We also have a water dispenser in the kitchen, which costs PhP 25.00 for a 20 litre "purified" refill. Delivered to the house from a local (Govt. certified) water station for that price.

How is that water "purified" exactly?
For what i want for her, it has to be distilled - pure water.
Does purified mean distilled, over there?
Is it chemically treated water? What do you think?...is that Govt. certified "purified" water alkaline or acidic?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElUgttLExaw
The main purpose of me buying her distilled water is not really for drinking.

I, myself, will drink only distilled water (no food at all) whenever i do two-week long water fasts - usually done once per year. It's a total cleanse. It shuts down the digestive system
completely for two weeks. I don't even poop for about twelve days straight because there's no food in my digestive system. Does the body good! Plus, i drop about twenty lbs of weight and lose about six trouser sizes when i do a water fast. It also helps me to eat less because after the water fast is done, i have to re-start eating foods in a liquid state for a while and that is the hardest part because i want to stuff myself. BUT after a water fast, eating solid food can cause you to buckle over in severe pain. 

SaveMore supermarkets stock imported red, brown and jasmine rice. SM Mall supermarkets have many more varieties... Organic? Don't know.
There is a SaveMore in Dinalupihan, where I go quite regularly, so next time I'll have a look at the varieties and prices. We'll probably be in San Fernando over Easter when our daughter is home from university, so visits to Robinsons and SM Malls are on the cards.
Address: 2110, Dinalupihan
VF87+PQ Dinalupihan.
That's another long, two-hour round trip - minimum - just to buy a couple of bags of rice. Would be better to buy several bags per trip just to make the time investment worth it. I'll start her off with a bag each to see if she likes black rice, and, red rice, and even quinoa.   
So, yes. Please, let me know the prices for red and black rice and the quantities, and if possible, the brand names - maybe you can take a few photos with your phone and upload them into the forum?  The black rice should not be glutinous (sticky) rice. Prices for both organic and non-organic would be really gracious of you. Only black and red, though.

That Kangaroo Brand low GI rice in my first post would be nice to know the price, too. I've read that it's quite pricey but seeing as Australia is closer to you than to me, it might be not all that pricey. I've never seen it, here, but then again, i've never went looking for it, here. 
While you are there, please, see if they have (any color) quinoa, and (any color) chia seeds.
Try not to forget. And pumpernickel bread. I need to see the ingredient list on the package of the bread. I'm not interested in any other bread.
Her health could be at stake if she keeps eating white bread and white rice. She's been so busy with that Halo Halo gig that we hardly talk on FB. She must be quite tired and maybe in pain. Plus, now she is a full-time, live-in mom. I am really worried. Her blood work was not that good.

If SaveMore had a website, or FB page, i could easily just contact them with that to ask for prices and quantities. If it's better to communicate with them in the Filipino language, maybe your wife could write to them on their webpage or FB page. That would be greatly appreciated, and much quicker.

The bottom line really, as you don't think she has time, is for you to try to arrange a visit here and look at the options available. Very difficult for me to give relevant nutritional advice, as I just eat, to a certain extent, what I'm given  ;) ;) ;)
Well, i do all my own cooking and food storage. I was the third chef in that Thai owned resto (i had the keys to the place and their trust - it's too bad it shut down), and i went to culinary school, also.
So, i'm not asking anyone for nutritional advice, i am the one giving her nutritional advice. I just need the prices so i can know exactly how much money to send. I don't want to send too much because she might feel, i dunno, "obligated" to me somehow, or whatever. I don't want money to be an issue, really.  I am not sure if i am expressing myself well enough on that topic.
As i've mentioned, i am not a well-off guy, financially, and she knows that.  I don't have secrets from her.  So, she is well aware of my frugal nature, and i am really trying to be as frugal as i can be. But i do want her to have a better diet until she heals from that three-month long infection. So, i will buy these foods for her for a while just to open her eyes to other and healthier food options just to encourage her.
I am on welfare BUT i live very frugally and quite well at that, and i can and do save money. So, i can afford to donate some of my savings for a very good cause - her well being.  I don't expect anything in return from her. I only want her to take my advice seriously and to eat that food and for her to get well, again. If she listens to me, she will get well and will never get sick ever again, nor will her youngest child. Her oldest child is with the dad in another area.
Many of the guys i know who are in my very position, don't have a pot to piss in. But, i don't smoke cigarettes. I rarely indulge in weed, i don't drink or gamble, i don't buy junk food (often), like many of my friends all do because they have no idea what cooking is. All my meals are homemade and i cook in bulk - i basically run my home kitchen like a professional kitchen where very little gets thrown away. I ride my bicycle all year round - even when it's -30 C degrees outside.
I am living like a fit, retired guy but without the retirement cheque.

I could afford to pay for a visit, there, but the airfare to get there would put a serious dent in my little stash of cash.
I'd rather invite her to Montreal for a visit - in the middle of winter - just to show her what Canada is like for about eight months out of the year. She already knows what hot, humid, summer days are like. That's how i think. I'd meet her at the airport with winter clothes for her to wear lol and take her for walks at night and let her see and feel the big, wet snowflakes falling on her nose. THAT would be a REALLY nice trip to Canada. She might decide to live somewhere else other than in Montreal, though lol. Who knows.

Hola Hola?  Last time I checked, that could be Mexican style street food. Maybe she means Halo Halo?
Yes, it's Halo Halo. My error.
Too much sugar in that stuff.

Health foods? Robinsons in SF has a Chinese herbal store where I sometimes get herbal medicines/remedies. They may be places for your friend to source some organic foodstuff or grains. Just an afterthought.
The human immune system is amazingly capable of self-healing once the diet is corrected and meat is eliminated and the liver is clean. The first thing she needs is a liver detox (hence, the organic coffee and distilled water).
True-organic foods are really hard to come by, these days, with so much crap floating down from our global, chemtrailed skies, Monsanto's poisonous glysophate, the tainted water, mercury-filled oceanic lifeforms etc. The liver must be clean in order to deal with all of that.

Organic foods should be grown in greenhouses, otherwise, are they truly "organic"?
The coffee i want has to be, at least, certified organic.   

Thank you, Peter, for your informative response.
I really appreciate your time.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 06:58:52 AM by robbie_d »

Offline robbie_d

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 07:40:19 AM »
I need to correct myself.
She didn't show me her blood test results.
She showed me her urine test results.

Geez, what was i thinking?

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 10:06:19 AM »
Robbie.

I think you should understand that a family of 5 would think they were comfortable if they had a guaranteed monthly income of 15 or 16 thousand Pisos. Teachers for example draw a average salary of just under PhP 20,000 a month. Experienced nurses and healthcare staff about the same, maybe a little more if they in a supervisory role.
You can search for the Philippines' Government recommended salary levels of their employees.
eg. The President is on a salary of PhP 95,000 a month, last list I looked at. The head of the Army/Airforce/Navy on PhP 80,000

So what you, with a Canadian hat on, would regard as cheap, is what most Filipinos would regard as a luxury and be pretty far down the "must have list", if on it at all.

An arm and a leg? I've seen imported Uncle Bens rice retailing in the supermarkets.for around PhP 170.00 for a 1 kg box. Local market loose rice starts around PhP 27.00 rising to 55 or 60 a kg. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out where the Filipino's budget will be spent. Unhealthy by western standards, or not!

The rice variants I mentioned in SaveMore/SM/Royal are in 10 and 25 kg sacks. There may be loose rice varieties (red, black, whatever) available in her local palenke (market) There is in ours. It may take some searching, but don't be surprised by what you/she will find.

SaveMore is SM's budget branded store, selling some but not all, of the SM stocked products. SM Mall have, I was told, a Facebook presence. I don't know first hand as I don't use effBook or other similar data abusing sites.

SM have a website, as have Robinsons, so you can search away to your heart's content. Better to ask the seller directly for product information. What one may think is important, another may find trivial.

The internet is a wonderful thing, but sometimes there is too much emphasis on minute detail, especially when it comes to locations.
When a local is asked, for example, where is < "2F, Galeria Victoria, JP Rizal St., Poblacion, City of Balanga   > ,they'll scratch their heads and shrug their shoulders. The question should be, "Is Robinsons Mall the one near the cathedral?"
(It's about 100 metres away on foot. A 3 minute walk.)

Can't help with photos. I have a mobile phone which is ..... a telephone! Don't need 'smart'. When I take pictures, I use one of my cameras.

Water. Purified? Don't know the process, but the wife says they've got bright shiny equipment, with government seals on the pipes. LOL! Good enough for me.

If you are thinking of supporting her medical or nutritional needs in the long run, it may be more cost effective if you bite the bullet, come here, seen what is available and make relevant decisions, based on your personal observations.
There are others on here who can steer you towards the websites and airlines which offer the best (cheapo I mean) deals. Some fly (return) for less than $US 1,000 from the West Coast of America/Canada. If you do fly, then Clark/Angeles would be the most convenient destination airport for the Bataan.

My eyes? Failing night vision and depth perception. Still passed the Filipino D/L eye test requirements, but in the interests of "Keep death off the roads", I don't drive.

Peter

Offline robbie_d

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 12:48:11 PM »
I need to correct myself.
She didn't show me her blood test results.
She showed me her urine test results.

Geez, what was i thinking?
Okay! okay! I know you're all knocking your heads trying to answer that question (not) lol.

What i was thinking is simply this:
Urine is nothing more than highly filtered blood.
Urine is called, plasma ultrafiltrate, in medical labs.

So, whenever we pee, we are actually peeing out a blood by-product produced by the kidneys. It's totally and highly sterile in healthy people.

Now, you all know.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 02:55:11 PM »
Poor single mom with two kids, showing you her medical results and making sure you know, all she eats is rice.  From somebody that has been in and around the Philippines for about 27 years....   BE CAREFUL.   You never really know a person until you are with them, and have actually spent significant time together.  I do not want to insult your intelligence, or the woman you have been, however, what you described happens almost daily over here (girls in need meeting foreigners on the internet), and I would venture to guess...hmmmm anyway, just be careful.    Good luck

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog