Author Topic: Iloilo Cost of living, housing and Generial Infomation.  (Read 4466 times)

Offline oneiloilojeepney

Iloilo Cost of living, housing and Generial Infomation.
« on: December 13, 2007, 04:07:08 PM »
Iloilo is a small but growing city located on the East coast of Pany Island directly acroos from the West coast of Guimeras Island.
Iloilo has no major industry and is referred to as the \"food basket\" and \"training center\" of the eastern Visayas. There are many colleges , trade Schools, 3 Nursing Colleges and the prestigious U.P (University of the Philippines). Just outside the city limits are many farms and fishponds. There are 5 major shopping malls with built in theaters, 3 golf courses, many nice resorts and resturants. 4 good private hospitals and one in paticular, Savior International Hospital is the only cardiac center in the eastern visayas. Tricare Insurance is widely accepted here. There is a newly constucted airport in Cabatuan (25 min from downtown) that is to international standards. Cost of living here is aprox. 1/4 less than the big cities of Manilla and Cebu.

Housing : Short term leases, one bedroom apartments and fully furnished houses/apartments are all but impossible to find here. There are no condominium units/complexes yet. Leasing is usually for a one year period with two months down as security deposit and first month upfront as the norm. Maintance is a seperate issue spelled out in the lease agreement. Here some landlords are resposible and some will make it the resonsibilty of the renters. Iloilo is only 3 meters above sea level with some areas prone to flooding. There is a flood control project aprox 60% completed and sked to be finished August 2008.Typhoons are rare here.

Monthly Housing costs inside the city proper area in a nice gated subdivision.

2 br apartment/house P9,000 to P20,000.
3br 2 ba apartment P14,000 to P 20,000.
3/4br 2 ba house. P20,000 to P30,000.

Cost of Living: Monthly
Electricity P6,000  (I use aircon at night and have computers and major appliances).
Cooking Gas (LPG) 1 bottle P650.
CATV P550
DSL 386k P990
City water P 700
Bottled water for drinking 15 five gal bottles P500
Local Telephone service P800
Groceries (including laundry soap etc.) family of four P14,00. (I like imported american food along with native).

Hotel information: The Sarabia Hotel on General Luna st. is 5 min from downtown and offers middle of the raod prices and has a very nice pool/patio cafe area along with many nice resturants onsite. There is also a decent pensione house (Charter) located at the back of the hotel complex with basic rooms with hw and ac for P550 a night for a single for those wishing to economise.

Re: Iloilo Cost of living, housing and Generial Infomation.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 04:54:44 PM »
Great post!

Groceries (including laundry soap etc.) family of four P14,00. (I like imported american food along with native).

Shouldn\'t there be an extra zero though i.e. P14,000 which is roughly what I pay for two of us here.

Offline Rick

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 11:05:51 AM »
Great post!

Shouldn\'t there be an extra zero though i.e. P14,000 which is roughly what I pay for two of us here.

Where do you live? 14000 for 2 seems awful high. There are just 2 of us with occassionsl helpers and our grocery store costs run
about 5000 per month with another 3000 spent at the fish market.

Rick

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 11:29:14 AM »
Hi Rick,

As it says under my name - Sta Rosa Laguna. The bill is for everything though, not just food i.e. everything from SM supermarket (food water, snacks, bug spray, toilet rolls, washing powder etc etc) plus wet market meat, fish & veg.

Offline jayjayrp

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 01:18:54 PM »
I agree with Keith, that p1400 is a bit low.
We can and have spent that in a single day.
We get things when the item is in the market.
We freeze meat and fish, and put veggies in the frig.
JJ

Offline oneiloilojeepney

Re: Iloilo Cost of living, housing and General Infomation.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 07:26:48 AM »
Yes it was a typo.  P14,000 Fourteen thousand.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog