Author Topic: Certified organic coffee and more  (Read 1128 times)

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Re: Certified organic coffee and more
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2019, 09:07:28 AM »
Can you steer me to the others on here who can steer me towards the websites and airlines which offer the best (cheapo I mean) deals to fly her here, please?
I'd like to have her here for six months which is the longest amount of time a tourist can stay here.

Thanks.
Not accurate.  Tourists can stay up to 3 years.  Get a 30 day visa when you arrive.  Get and extension for another month.  Then up to 6 month extensions for up to 3 years.  So much longer than 6 months.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2019, 11:43:59 AM »
Not accurate.  Tourists can stay up to 3 years.  Get a 30 day visa when you arrive.  Get and extension for another month.  Then up to 6 month extensions for up to 3 years.  So much longer than 6 months.

Joe.

<... to fly her here  ...>

I read it as he's wanting "her" to go to Canada.

If so, good luck to him/her to overcome the reported hurdles of a young Filipina being allowed by the BI, or other Filipino Government agencies, to travel alone out of the Philippines.

Hardly a day goes by without a report of "suspected human trafficking" being detected at NAIA and other airports, causing the offloading of, sometimes innocent, passengers.

I hope Robbie will do his/their "due diligence" before getting their hopes up.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:50:08 AM by Peter »
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2019, 12:24:07 PM »
Joe.

If so, good luck to him/her to overcome the reported hurdles of a young Filipina being allowed by the BI, or other Filipino Government agencies, to travel alone out of the Philippines.

Hardly a day goes by without a report of "suspected human trafficking" being detected at NAIA and other airports, causing the offloading of, sometimes innocent, passengers.

Peter

That changes things then.  And yes, it won't be easy getting her over to Canada.  Going to take a lot of work as well as probably a lot of "greased palms" to get that done.  Even then, probably not so easy.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2019, 12:11:19 AM »
To top it off, getting Canadian immigration authorities to grant her a tourist visa will be a major challenge.

His gf will be expected to show that she has very substantial ties to the Phils.  She will have to convince the authorities that she won't be a ship jumper; won't go TNT.  She will be asked how much money she has to pay for her trip.  Given that the OP was speaking in terms of sending only a few pesos to buy food, this woman does not sound like a woman of means.  If someone else is paying for her trip, there will be some checking as to that person's means. 

I have some considerable personal experience with applying for a Canadian TRV (temporary resident visa - a.k.a. tourist visa) from the Phils. Some years ago, when living in the RP, I applied on behalf of a woman who was living in my home in Quezon City. She had been living there for about a year and was on our payroll.  We went to the Canadian Embassy in Makati and announced we were there to apply for a tourist visa.  We were told that she was the last person who would qualify.   No strong family ties to the PI, no assets, no long and well-paid work history, young, etc.  I offered to post a cash bond of USD20,000 or so, saying I would agree to the forfeiture of the funds if she was not on the flight back to the Phils when we said she would return.  No go.
But then we were told she could go as my “personal servant”, limited to 3 months.  We took that deal.  That class of visa is long since extinct.

When I was in Cebu a few years back I met a Canadian who lives not far from me in Canada.  He was a man of some means, then age 68.  His Cebuana gf was age 40.  She had a master of education degree and a long history as a school teacher, earning about P30,000/mo.  Three years in a row they applied for a TRV for her.  Denied each time.  Finally, she made it.  Before she did, he made regular payments into her bank account, so when she last applied she could show a balance of about P400,000.  He also bought her a house, so she could show title to real estate.  I suspect the OP in this case is not up to putting on that kind of performance. 

I should add that there are probably more impediments to which the OP has not addressed his thinking.  Does his girl have a passport already?  I would be surprised if she did.  Before applying for a TRV for the young woman I mentioned above, we had to secure her a passport.  That was an adventure in itself.  Her birth records were about non-existent.  I recall many trips to the DFA to satisfy their requirements. 

Next, with passport in hand, the applicant will have to pay CAD100 for processing her TRV application and CAD85 for "biometrics".  So the OP will have to budget for that, as well is the cheap ticket being sought.  Then travel tax of P1,620 (about CAD40) will have to be paid.

The Canadian immigration website will tell you that a TRV application may be supported by a "Letter of Invitation" from a Canadian.  Usually, that is someone who knows the invitee reasonably well and, in some cases, who undertakes to cover some or all of the invitees trip expenses.  But here, the OP boasts that he is a welfare case with the attitude (as expressed in one of his posts): "Who wants to do a job they hate? Pffft! Not me."  I think I would leave that bit of info out of any invitation letter.  As an aside, permit me to observe that the lot of a large part of the world's population is undertaking work they dislike in order to pay their bills.  Most folks just buck up and bloody well do it.  I might also skip mention of wanting to bring here here to sponge off Canada's free medical plans. The OP wrote above: "If i could, i'd rather get her here just to have the free Canadian health care if things get out of control."  Unlikely that will inspire the confidence of Canadian immigration officials.

I must admit to the possibility that I have got things here all wrong.  One apparent non sequitur in the facts related by the OP is that the young woman in question had savings of USD1,000 to spend on her son's medical care.  How did she manage that kind of saving?  Very few young Filipinos could manage such a feat.  Not many older ones, either.  So perhaps there's an untold story that will result in an open sesame if she comes to apply for a tourist visa.

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2019, 03:12:37 AM »
Corrigenda:

I have no capacity to edit my posts, at least not after are about 30 minutes or so old, so please accept my apology for some typos in the above, to wit:

Penultimate paragraph, second sentence, "invitees" should read "invitee's". 

Same para., penultimate sentence, the phrase "mention of wanting to bring here here" should read "mention of wanting to bring her here".

Offline robbie_d

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2019, 01:00:33 PM »

Well, that's good to know. I was not aware of any of that. That sound like a better plan than her telling the immigration officers that she wants to stay for six months. That would raise eyebrows, i'm sure.

Hmm, okay, but Joe, does your opinion change if she is coming to Canada, and not me going to the PH?
Just wondering, because you are addressing me and saying "....when you arrive."

EDIT:
Okay, i just saw your next post.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:16:09 PM by robbie_d »

Offline robbie_d

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2019, 01:13:35 PM »
Joe.

Peter
Yes, you have read, correctly, Peter. I meant her coming to Montreal.

I am a bit confused about her not being allowed to visit Canada alone. I've heard of that sort of travel restriction happening only to Saudi women trying to leave Saudi Arabia alone. Perhaps, it's like that in other Islamic countries, as well.
I'll do some research about that. Thanks, for that info.

Speaking of "human trafficking", i've been watching a lot of videos about Pinay maids being hired out as maids, and even Filipino social workers are calling the whole maid industry human trafficking - but it's legalized. The government must be getting a piece of the pie.

Thanks 

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog