Author Topic: Senior Discount Card  (Read 519 times)

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
Senior Discount Card
« on: May 08, 2019, 05:35:09 PM »
Just FYI:

To clarify ALL the misconceptions regarding Aliens/Foreigners having and using a Senior Citizen card here
in the Philippines.

⦁ The bill to grant this to aliens/foreigners has been before the Philippine Congress for a few years, but
it has not yet been approved and passed into law.
⦁ Until the Philippine congress approves/passes the law, we are guests in this country are not entitled
to it. If and when it is approved, it will probably be only for permanent resident aliens with valid proof
of permanent residency, not aliens on a tourist visa. (If you have been here for a long time but still do
the tourist visa procedure, you may not be eligible).
⦁ Many barangay offices/officers and even city/municipality offices/officers may tell you YES you may
get the senior card, and even issue you a card, BUT it is still not legal YET.
⦁ If you get and use a senior card and you are reported to the authorities, you can be deported! If you
wish to take the risk, then by all means, go ahead, but you have been forewarned of the
consequences.
⦁ Remember, if it is offered to you or you inquire if the establishment does offer the discount, you are
not in violation of the law, but if you specifically request the discount, "IT IS A DEPORTABLE
OFFENSE".
⦁ If a local who does not like foreigners (for whatever reason), overhears you requesting the discount,
they can report you to the authorities which can cause a lot of problems for you including
DEPORTATION.
⦁ If the establishment offers you the discount, that is fine, but to specifically say "I am a senior and I
want the discount", you are putting yourself in harms way. You may ask "Do you offer the senior
discount to foreigners?" That is not asking for the discount, but only inquiring if they do.
⦁ If you really need the 20% discount at any fast food place: McD, Jollibee, etc., you may be living in
the wrong country. For every p100 you spend (approximately $2.00 U.S), you are saving a whopping
p20 (less than $.40 (40 cents U.S).
I have received the senior discount in some medical establishments without asking, and denied in others
(not asking for the discount, only inquiring) because I am NOT authorized for the senior discount. It's at the
sole discretion of the establishment!
For purchases at Jollibee/McD I have never asked, but I have received the discount a few times. The
procedure to get the small discount is not worth the time and effort and the small amount of savings that I
do not get will not break me.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Senior Discount Card
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 09:32:03 AM »
"SENIOR CITIZEN OR ELDERLY - refers to any Filipino citizen who is a resident of the Philippines, and who is sixty (60) years old or above. It may apply to senior citizens with "dual citizenship" status provided they prove their Filipino citizenship and have at least six (6) months residency in the Philippines."

It is just for pinoy citizens.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 11:37:14 AM »
On a more positive note, the Senior Discount Card (Golf), is available to foreigners, and it begins at the age of 55  :) 

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 04:05:26 PM »
Just FYI:

To clarify ALL the misconceptions regarding Aliens/Foreigners having and using a Senior Citizen card here
in the Philippines.

⦁ The bill to grant this to aliens/foreigners has been before the Philippine Congress for a few years, butit has not yet been approved and passed into law.
DEPORTATION.
⦁ If the establishment offers you the discount, that is fine, but to specifically say "I am a senior and I
want the discount", you are putting yourself in harms way. You may ask "Do you offer the senior
discount to foreigners?" That is not asking for the discount, but only inquiring if they do.
⦁ If you really need the 20% discount at any fast food place: McD, Jollibee, etc., you may be living in
the wrong country. For every p100 you spend (approximately $2.00 U.S), you are saving a whopping
p20 (less than $.40 (40 cents U.S).
I have received the senior discount in some medical establishments without asking, and denied in others
(not asking for the discount, only inquiring) because I am NOT authorized for the senior discount. It's at the
sole discretion of the establishment!
For purchases at Jollibee/McD I have never asked, but I have received the discount a few times. The
procedure to get the small discount is not worth the time and effort and the small amount of savings that I
do not get will not break me.

Chuck

Chuck.

Perfectly correct in all respects!

But it's quite amazing that there are, by Filipino standards, very well off looking foreigners who will demand the senior discount on a cup of coffee and a doughnut. I saw it this morning in a coffee shop in SM Mall in San Fernando Pampanga. The missus then ups and tells the idiot off and informs all in earshot that foreigners are not entitled to Filipino senior discount. Emphasis on the "Filipino". LOL!

One very pissed off and embarrassed alien then slunk out of the shop. I couldn't stop laughing  :) :) :) :) :)

RA 9257 of 2004, is the relevant Act.
Section 2 Definitions .... (a) "Senior citizen" or "elderly" shall mean any resident citizen of the Philippines at least sixty (60) years old;

(That could mean that Fil/Ams, Fil/Brits, Fil/Any other, who are resident overseas and are on a visit, may not be entitled persons either.)

and

Section 10. Penalties, ..... If the offender is an alien or a foreigner, he shall be deported immediately after service of sentence without further deportation proceedings. ...

I have had a discount offered to me in many stores, mainly for big ticket items, which I gladly take. In ChowKing, Jollibee and MacDoh's in our town, I sometimes just settle for "jumping the queue" by being called to the front by the servers; if there's a long queue that is. Otherwise I sit and the missus does the ordering.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 04:18:30 PM by Peter »
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline ermita_virus

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 08:30:08 PM »
Why is this racist discrimination not in international news? Yet another benefit we pay for, they we cannot avail, because of the colour of our skin. If this happened abroad, cities would burn to the ground!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog