Author Topic: Hello all!  (Read 2558 times)

Offline David690

• Sr Member
Re: Hello all!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 02:16:45 PM »
        Ok, let me see if I can tackle some of the questions. I will be getting an SRRV retirement visa. My wife being from there makes it possible for me to get a lot of things done with all the contacts she has from college there in CDO. I have a picture of the kind of boat I'm looking for just a slightly smaller version. Can I post it here or do I have to put it in a different place? With where we want to end up I have been looking for safe harbors for typhoon season and was told Tambobo Bay would work. And I would have plenty notice from weather reports to know if one was on the way to get somewhere safe. To be clear only 4 of us would be living fulltime on the boat and when friends or family would visit the togetherness would be temporary. I have heard just from my wife's friend that boats are cheaper in Davao than in Luzon. Just what I was told, don't know but will be finding out soon. The last time I was over after 6 weeks I didn't want to leave. It was very hot for me after living in Alaska but I will just go swimming or find a cool spot to drink a beer. Thanks for all the input though. I don't know a lot but asking question gets me better prepared.  Thanks again.

Dan

I live in Davao and it is not my experience that boats are cheaper here.  In fact I could find very few boats for sale here at all, and none that suited my requirements.  Hence my decision to have my boat built in Manila.  Yes Tambobo Bay is a well known safe weather haven for yatties, I visited there whilst in Dumaguete.  Mindanao is by far and away the best region as far as weather goes, very few typhoons here.  Of course there are other reasons to be cautious as pointed out by others.

You should try looking at some of the FB groups for boating etc.  Here is one that might be useful https://www.facebook.com/groups/1038853306175212/

Cheers,
Londoner at heart

Offline uncledan

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2019, 10:55:47 AM »
                   Ok, not having any luck putting a picture in here. I honestly hadn't given any thought as to getting a boat from Davoa north. Neither of the routes thrill me. I wonder about the cost of trucking it to CDO? My wife just heard back from a builder and we should have some plans in about a week. Speaking of the hardware, due to my wife's abusive step-father she used to own a couple and had trophies as to her proficiency with them. She had to sell them before she moved here.  Still not something I would risk my family for. People tell me all the time about how dangerous it is in the Philippines, but forget about certain parts of the U.S. that are as bad or worse. Tomorrow is never guaranteed. All we can do is make the best decisions possible with the information at hand. I thanks all for the heads up. 2 more days till I retire! I hope to run into you all on my journeys.

Dan

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2019, 11:43:39 AM »
Dan.

< ... 2 more days till I retire! .  ...   >

Brings a new meaning to "TGIF"  :) :) :)

Happy and safe retirement.

Peter
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2019, 04:15:47 PM »
                   Ok, not having any luck putting a picture in here. I honestly hadn't given any thought as to getting a boat from Davoa north. Neither of the routes thrill me. I wonder about the cost of trucking it to CDO? My wife just heard back from a builder and we should have some plans in about a week. Speaking of the hardware, due to my wife's abusive step-father she used to own a couple and had trophies as to her proficiency with them. She had to sell them before she moved here.  Still not something I would risk my family for. People tell me all the time about how dangerous it is in the Philippines, but forget about certain parts of the U.S. that are as bad or worse. Tomorrow is never guaranteed. All we can do is make the best decisions possible with the information at hand. I thanks all for the heads up. 2 more days till I retire! I hope to run into you all on my journeys.

Dan

I've been quoted P100k to truck my 25ft boat from Manila to Davao.
Londoner at heart

Offline uncledan

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2019, 04:54:05 AM »
             I tried the facebook page and it's closed. That is a good price on moving your boat.

Dan

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2019, 06:03:29 PM »
             I tried the facebook page and it's closed. That is a good price on moving your boat.

Dan

It's a closed group, meaning you need to join.
Londoner at heart

Offline uncledan

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2019, 10:46:40 AM »
                    It probably shows that I really don't know FB. lol!

Dan

Offline Hank

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2019, 11:14:54 PM »
Dan writes,

To be clear only 4 of us would be living fulltime on the boat and when friends or family would visit the togetherness would be temporary. I have heard just from my wife's friend that boats are cheaper in Davao than in Luzon ... Dan

Hey Dan .. this just popped up today on eBay Australia .. might be of interest for you perhaps ..

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/60-Ft-Expedition-Motor-Sailer-Catarmaran/333251016160

DESCRIPTION: 60ft Custom Steel Expedition Motorsailer

BROKER: Owner

PRICE: US $245,000

PRICE NOTES: Partnership considered.

General Description

This custom-built steel Expedition motor sailing Cat was built in Brisbane, Australia by Marines PtyLtd. The original concept of the vessels build was to supply an Expedition Catamaran for either private cruising and or commercial use. It features 5 separate cabins (all airconditioned) and all with their own built in showers and toilets. As a catamaran she has a good horsepower to mileage fuel usage, set up with numerous fuel tanks allowing for extended cruising under power alone.

The sailing rig is set up with furling sails on both main and forestay allowing for easy handling. Enjoy under sail alone in prevailing conditions or the economy of motor sailing. There are 2 diesel driven separate generators with an additional unit driven from the main engine. This well-designed installation is coupled to a 5 Kw inverter powered by a large solar panel providing continuous energy to operate the vessels various appliances. The living areas both exterior and interior are spacious as one would expect for a catamaran of this size ..."

Recent Survey available to potential buyers.
More Photos available to interested buyers
Australian Registered as: Strictly Business

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2019, 10:21:53 AM »
Hank,

<    ... Hey Dan .. this just popped up today on eBay Australia .. might be of interest for you perhaps ..

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/60-Ft-Expedition-Motor-Sailer-Catarmaran/333251016160    ...   >

Mmmmmmm! Very tasty.  :) :) :)

Nice spec.  8) 8) 8) 8).

Peter
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline Hank

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2019, 09:41:54 PM »
Peter writes,

Hank,
<    ... Hey Dan .. this just popped up today on eBay Australia .. might be of interest for you perhaps ..
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/60-Ft-Expedition-Motor-Sailer-Catarmaran/333251016160    ...   >

Mmmmmmm! Very tasty.  :) :) :)   Nice spec.  8) 8) 8) 8).  Peter

Yes, she certainly sounds shipshape and deep-sea-worthy   :) :) :)

Mind you, at a quarter mill, she's also rather spendy for a boat  8) 8)  I'd be analyzing that marine survey closely, and organizing a couple more additional surveys.

It's good the hull is steel, but one might want a close examination of the plans, especially in terms of the internal structural bracing for the torsional forces on a 60 foot by 20 foot floating cat-platform. The shear forces at play on a wide cat-hull are considerable, and especially on the open ocean weathering the rather frequent tropical-cyclones in and around the area.

And, aside from this, I'd completely agree Peter, she certainly has nice specs and does sound a very tasty purchase. Maybe close to what Dan writes he is seeking.

Offline uncledan

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2019, 09:53:04 PM »
                    WOW! Nice boat but way out of my league! I wish I had that kind of money. I think I'm going to stick to a pump boat. I guess that's what a big banka is called. It will blend in with the locals a little better. I'm in the process of selling everything I own that I can't ship. I never knew how much of a collector I was! Houses are selling quick here so hopefully mine does too. Looking forward to getting my toes in some warm sand and water for a change. So tired of the rain and snow. I appreciate the heads up on the boat though.

Dan

Offline Hank

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2019, 12:35:36 AM »
Dan writes,

.. I'm in the process of selling everything I own that I can't ship. I never knew how much of a collector I was! Houses are selling quick here so hopefully mine does too. Looking forward to getting my toes in some warm sand and water for a change. So tired of the rain and snow..

Ahh Dan .. think your plans sound wonderful. Am sure you've thought everything through, well, as much as is necessary / practical / possible up to this point anyway. And I would simply want to wish you all the very best with your new and exciting adventure in life, Dan the Man :)

Cheers fella, Hank