Author Topic: Solar and Wind power  (Read 1490 times)

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Solar and Wind power
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2019, 06:53:53 PM »
{hijack on}

So Dan and Bob ....

There might be something you can help me out with.  It ties in with the economics of PV.

One of the biggest loads that folks have is chilling.  Refrigerators and Freezers.  We've got one each smaller units.  They consistently pull 5 amps @ 240vac .... each.  Being thermostat controlled they kick intermittently throughout a 24 hour period.

Having this combo kick on at 0300, during the monsoon season when you have not had a good charge in weeks is awful rough on the system.

But it don't have to be that way.  Turns out there is an alternate refrigeration technology.  Absorption refrigeration.  Propane refrigerators.  RV chillers.

No electric compressors to power.  Uses a burner or heating element. 

Now a unit like that could be driven by propane,  biogas from A.D., a candle, a can of sterno, a kerosene lamp, hell even wood, 

....... or .........

a nichrome wire heating element either straight to PV or to a temp controller then to PV.

Now the system you want, Dan, is just carrying lights and fans at night.  A LOT less wear and tear on the potentially much smaller, cheaper storage system.

So either of y'all familiar the old Servel refrigerators?

Have any friends or contacts familiar with this?

I have looked high and low here with not much luck.  Before I try to ship in brand new appliances through customs I'd like to consult with some one in the know.

Salamat Po.

{/hijack off}

Offline uncledan

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2019, 05:29:36 AM »
            LIS,  I don't know much about propane fridges, but a lot of off grid people use them here in Alaska. Just to prevent a coronary, they are not cheap. An average 9-10 cuft model will cost around $1,500 usd without shipping. I'll ask some of the old timers to see if I can get more info.

Dan

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2019, 06:09:29 AM »
An average 9-10 cuft model will cost around $1,500 usd without shipping.

I know it.  Seems like every thing that might work good costs 3 times a much.

I'll ask some of the old timers to see if I can get more info.

I appreciate it.  I was hoping to connect with an engineer or service type.

Thanks

Offline uncledan

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2019, 06:53:15 AM »
     Let me find one and I'll hook you up. You mentioned transformers being of lesser quality. I found a place that has fantastic warranties for transformers and will be bringing my own when I move. I'm pricing one for a whole house and a shop. And the prices I've seen are not bad.

Dan

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2019, 07:43:01 AM »
Let me find one and I'll hook you up.

I really appreciate it.  Thanks.

You mentioned transformers being of lesser quality. I found a place that has fantastic warranties for transformers and will be bringing my own when I move. I'm pricing one for a whole house and a shop. And the prices I've seen are not bad.

I went with a Hammond Power Systems Q007YEKF.  Here is a link to the mfg.

"https://www.hammondpowersolutions.com/product/hps-universal/"

That particular transformer was recommended to me by a HVAC contractor I knew.  It is an encapsulated, isolation transformer that handles multiple input voltages and you can wire the secondary winding center tap to gnd. 

That gives you true stateside power.  2 legs of 120 referenced to the earth.  Mine has been in production since 2017 with nary a burp.

{sidetrack on}

On a slightly related topic.   I recommend you pick up some "Sanchem NO-OX-ID A Special" electrical grease.   Especially if your going to be on a boat or the coast line.

"https://www.sanchem.com/rust-preventative-coatings.html"

We had lots of problems with contacts inside consumer electronics and other connections corroding.  The same contractor recommended this to me. 

It's great stuff.  A little goes a very long ways. So you only need a tube or so. 

{/sidetrack off}

Hope that helps
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 07:54:46 AM by lost_in_samoa »

Offline uncledan

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2019, 01:33:16 AM »
         I checked out Hammond, now my next question. How many Kw do you use? And should the transformer need to be 20%bigger than your usage? I will need something big enough for my hose, shop and about 3 bungalows. How was shipping? VAT tax? These things are not light. I got the grease thanks. I'll probably bring too much but that's my MO. I'm not really good at electric so please forgive any lack of understanding that may occur in these conversations.

Dan

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2019, 04:10:15 AM »
How many Kw do you use?

That particular transformer is 7.5 kva.  They make them of the same configuration, (encapsulated, configurable primary / secondary windings, kryptonite housing, etc), in several different capacities.   Pick what matches your needs.

That implies that you accurately understand your needs before you choose.

And should the transformer need to be 20%bigger than your usage?

Power consumption is like closet, hard drive, penis, brain, and living space.  The moment you think you have got enough you realize you need more.   Try to build big enough so as to not be cramped in the next few years.

I will need something big enough for my hose, shop and about 3 bungalows. 

There are two schools of thought on this.

Centralized.  One big unit to service everything.  (Lower cost, simpler, easier to build,  single point of failure)
Decentralized.  Multiple smaller units servicing partial areas.  (higher cost, complex, versatile, robust)

Your call.  Before you jump out there and buy any thing,  plan out in detail the system you want to build down to the "N-th" degree.

Then find a local electrician you trust and bounce your plan off of them.  Good ones will find your mistakes and oversights.

How was shipping? VAT tax? These things are not light. 

For us it was not too bad.  We built slowly over time.  So there was no huge hit all at once.

I got the grease thanks. I'll probably bring too much but that's my MO.

I don't think it has a shelf life. 

On my first few connections I used wire-nuts.  Years later,  some of those connections developed a thin skin of oxidation / crap / ants / moisture in the twist connection itself.  I've had junctions heat up or stop working.  The worst were intermittent.  Severe P.I.T.A.

NO-OX cured that.  Now I solder.

I'm not really good at electric so please forgive any lack of understanding that may occur in these conversations.

No worries.  Right now you have access to killer advice from good electricians in AK.  Use that.  Plan what your gonna do before hand.

That plan will of course fall to pieces once you try to put it in place.  But at least you will start in a organized fashion.

Offline ABCDeVil

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2019, 10:06:52 PM »
On the use subject of "wind" to generate power for your house. I met a gent a few years ago, living Bohol or southern Cebu island way, who had a windmill mounted above his roof. The main collector for his power. But on those days/times without much/any wind, he became creative. As his home was a one level dwelling, with a veranda/porch/patio all the way around. With a big blue plastic barrel, cut in half and the to halves rejoined, forming an "S" shape. In the middle, was a large/strong post/pipe, being connected to bearings at both top and bottom. When the wind blows the barrels can rotate, generating power to his "Wind" system. On visiting his place, he showed me how easy it was, just to spin the split barrels with his hand and to my surprise, the barrels could spin for 20-30 mins. As there was a split barrel at each corner of the house, he advised me, that with a spin on each barrel, for about 10 mins each, was enough to run his LED lights all day.

Exactly how to connect up the barrels, thru cabling, was a bit lost on me, so I cannot give any info there. It just worked and was another alternative people could investigate further.

ABC

Offline uncledan

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 01:33:42 AM »
              ABCDeVil,    do you still have contact with this man? 

Dan

Offline JohnH

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2019, 12:55:10 PM »
An interesting thread. For what it's worth, I have a 3kw petrol generator that runs everything except the hot water during extended brownouts. Two points worth noting:
* My Samsung inverter aircon does not have inrush current. The amps rise slowly over the first few seconds
* The generator is not used often. After a couple of months, the petrol goes stale and the generator hunts or refuses to start. I drain the fuel and keep it in a sealed container

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2019, 03:49:55 PM »
{minor hijack on}

* My Samsung inverter aircon does not have inrush current. The amps rise slowly over the first few seconds

That's neat.  I did not know they were making aircon's with soft start motors.  My submersible well pump has one.  It's a Grundfos I believe.

And I have a Baldor single phase soft start that I run in conjunction with a 2HP motor on our little family rice mill.

It's nice to see manufacturers started doing that.

After a couple of months, the petrol goes stale and the generator hunts or refuses to start. I drain the fuel and keep it in a sealed container

I've seen "STA-BIL" on the shelves here.  I've got some in the Bodega.  Might want to look around your A.O. for a bottle.  Using it will extend the shelf life of your petrol.

Back in the states I've used stabilized gas that was a couple of years old with no problems.  Not sure I trust it as much here.  Fuel quality I get in my area is not good sometimes.  It will probably keep your jerry cans fresh a little longer.

Like you,  I drain my tanks after I finish whatever project.  Got in that habit as a kid.

{/minor hijack off}

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 03:58:21 PM by lost_in_samoa »

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2019, 08:32:18 PM »
An interesting thread. For what it's worth, I have a 3kw petrol generator that runs everything except the hot water during extended brownouts. Two points worth noting:
* The generator is not used often. After a couple of months, the petrol goes stale and the generator hunts or refuses to start. I drain the fuel and keep it in a sealed container

That's because it is an inverter aircon.  The compressor motor does not stop and restart, it just runs at a variable speed determined by the cooling requirements.  That's what makes them so much more efficient.
Londoner at heart

Offline JohnH

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2019, 08:50:06 PM »
David690: After a power failure, when I start the generator and flip the aircon breaker, the current rises slowly

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2019, 05:40:57 AM »
cooling the outside air and blowing it into the house.

Just stumbled across this.  I have not reviewed it but it may be of interest.

desiccant based air conditioning

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2019, 12:43:47 PM »
David690: After a power failure, when I start the generator and flip the aircon breaker, the current rises slowly

Yes another advantage of Inverter type Aircon is the soft start, with minimal if any inrush current.
Londoner at heart

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog