Author Topic: Basic info  (Read 121740 times)

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Basic info
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 12:42:35 PM »
Does any one here know what is the biggest size balikbayan box?

A Filipino may send anything that is permitted, in any size box they like, as sizes are not regulated by the Philippines authorities (the Bureau of Customs I believe) who are responsible for the "Balikbayan Priviledge Program" (my words)

The term "balikbayan box" is a marketing ploy by shipping companies, to play on the expat Filipinos' senses.

Some shippers limit the sizes of their boxes for commercial reasons, so they can utilise the complete space available to them in a container for example. Check with the shipper as to their policy

When we were sending our final house stuff from Oman, the Filipino shipper made his own shipping boxes, for anything "outsize" we wanted to send.

A rosewood extending 15' dining table was packed in its own box and shipped as part of the wife's balikbayan priviledge.

We always paid for volume (d x h x l) when using ship cargo (3 to 4 months door to door) and by weight when we asked them to send by air (about 10 days door to door)

HTH's

Peter

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:49:42 PM by Peter »
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 02:30:19 PM »
A Filipino may send anything that is permitted, in any size box they like, as sizes are not regulated by the Philippines authorities (the Bureau of Customs I believe) who are responsible for the "Balikbayan Priviledge Program" (my words)

The term "balikbayan box" is a marketing ploy by shipping companies, to play on the expat Filipinos' senses. .............................

Peter

See < https://tinyurl.com/y5sjl7qf > for a Rappler article on this.

Peter

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 10:49:52 PM »
Thank you.
MS

Offline ermita_virus

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 09:31:58 AM »
No taxes if you ship your stuff in via Balikbayan Boxes.  I brought all of my power tools with me.  I also sent a Samsung 65" UHD TV, Bosch Oven, Ceramic Hob, Extractor hood.
lol Of course BB boxes are subject to taxes! Some taxes up to 100% the cost of the item. Where did you get that you did not have to pay?

Offline ermita_virus

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2019, 09:34:05 AM »
No taxes if you ship your stuff in via Balikbayan Boxes.  I brought all of my power tools with me.  I also sent a Samsung 65" UHD TV, Bosch Oven, Ceramic Hob, Extractor hood.

Also, this is an expat forum. Most of us are expats. So we can never be balikbayans, nor send or receive BB boxes.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 11:23:50 AM »
Also, this is an expat forum. Most of us are expats. So we can never be balikbayans, nor send or receive BB boxes.

Where does it specify we are an EXPAT forum?  The forum is made up of all types not just expats.  We have members that live around the world and only visit the Philippine, some spend part of year here and their country, some are here as BB with their Filipino spouse, etc.

http://immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/balikbayan-previlege

Chuck

Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 04:28:08 PM »

As Chuck pointed out, there are some (many?) who are resident here with their Filipino/a spouses.

Just a little clarification. Only Filipinos and Former Filipinos are (legally) entitled to use the BB Scheme to send cargo from overseas. Any family member is entitled to receive the cargo

As designated family members (granted by the Philippines' Family Code, as amended by RA 8533) we quaiified, foreigner spouses can avail of various legal entitlements, which includes the receipt of cargo shipped under the Customs, tariff/tax free, Balikbayan scheme.

After saying that, we used the BB scheme (about 70 large boxes plus 20 specially made boxes/crates for household white goods and furniture etc.) over a 3 year period. We used my wife's name as the shipper and her sister's as recipient, on the shipping documentation when we were both resident overseas.

I have received tax-free BB boxes here in my name, from her sisters in Macau and London - as surprise birthday presents for the wife.

Peter

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 04:58:13 PM by Peter »

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 05:44:51 PM »

I am a foreigner living in the R.P for 35 years on and off..I get BB boxes just about every year!

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2019, 05:40:53 AM »
Well...to respond to a few of the replies.

We have been sending BBs 2, 3 or 4 a year to PI for 19 years now.
Mi esposa always sends only within the guidelines of contents of the forms she signs.
We have on at least 2 occasions had our boxes opened and examined at either the customs deportation or delivery port.
Nothing was ever missing, boxes resealed, marked as opened & inspected and stamped as passed.

I'm glad we never sent anything unauthorized or considered taxable.
Every once in awhile when she says I annoy her...I just tell her she's gonna get a BB trip home.
MS

Offline ermita_virus

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2019, 09:55:16 AM »

The term "balikbayan box" is a marketing ploy by shipping companies, to play on the expat Filipinos' senses.

Some shippers limit the sizes of their boxes for commercial reasons, so they can utilise the complete space available to them in a container for example. Check with the shipper as to their policy

When we were sending our final house stuff from Oman, the Filipino shipper made his own shipping boxes, for anything "outsize" we wanted to send.

A rosewood extending 15' dining table was packed in its own box and shipped as part of the wife's balikbayan priviledge.

We always paid for volume (d x h x l) when using ship cargo (3 to 4 months door to door) and by weight when we asked them to send by air (about 10 days door to door)

HTH's

Peter

"Balikbayan Box" is the legal term. The law originally created by Marcos. The problem is that today, it basically does not apply, as all items have to be taxed. It's cheaper just to buy things locally. There are SOME instances when you can get an exemption. For example, you have to be a citizen, been out of the country for a year, and your receipts not totalling 10,000 pesos.

https://www.philippine-embassy.org.sg/the-philippines-2/customs-faqs-on-importation/

Offline ermita_virus

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2019, 10:31:24 AM »
See < https://tinyurl.com/y5sjl7qf > for a Rappler article on this.

Peter

That article is from 2016. The law has changed like 15 times since then.

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2019, 10:32:41 AM »
"Balikbayan Box" is the legal term. The law originally created by Marcos. The problem is that today, it basically does not apply, as all items have to be taxed. It's cheaper just to buy things locally. There are SOME instances when you can get an exemption. For example, you have to be a citizen, been out of the country for a year, and your receipts not totalling 10,000 pesos.

https://www.philippine-embassy.org.sg/the-philippines-2/customs-faqs-on-importation/

You are confusing part of the privileges allowed for returning Balikbayans (Chapter 2 #3) and Balikbayan Boxes.  Chapter 7 explains Balikbayan boxes.  Also, there are bulletins issued by Customs explaining Balikbayan Boxes.  Balikbayan boxes tax free up to P150,000 per year.

Offline ermita_virus

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2019, 10:46:18 AM »
Where does it specify we are an EXPAT forum?  The forum is made up of all types not just expats.  We have members that live around the world and only visit the Philippine, some spend part of year here and their country, some are here as BB with their Filipino spouse, etc.

http://immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/balikbayan-previlege

Chuck

No they are not. Your link contradicts you.

a. A Balikbayan, who may be either one of the following:

i.   A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year;

ii.  A Filipino overseas worker;

iii. A former Filipino citizen and his family who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines.

Offline ermita_virus

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2019, 10:52:17 AM »
I am a foreigner living in the R.P for 35 years on and off..I get BB boxes just about every year!
You can be arrested for lying about your citizenship though.

Offline ermita_virus

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2019, 10:55:10 AM »
As Chuck pointed out, there are some (many?) who are resident here with their Filipino/a spouses.

Just a little clarification. Only Filipinos and Former Filipinos are (legally) entitled to use the BB Scheme to send cargo from overseas. Any family member is entitled to receive the cargo

As designated family members (granted by the Philippines' Family Code, as amended by RA 8533) we quaiified, foreigner spouses can avail of various legal entitlements, which includes the receipt of cargo shipped under the Customs, tariff/tax free, Balikbayan scheme.

After saying that, we used the BB scheme (about 70 large boxes plus 20 specially made boxes/crates for household white goods and furniture etc.) over a 3 year period. We used my wife's name as the shipper and her sister's as recipient, on the shipping documentation when we were both resident overseas.

I have received tax-free BB boxes here in my name, from her sisters in Macau and London - as surprise birthday presents for the wife.

Peter

Nope. You can't get a declaration proving you are a Philippine citizen, if you are not. Well, you can. But that would be illegal.