Author Topic: Shoe repair school or program?  (Read 1006 times)

Offline talfarlow

Shoe repair school or program?
« on: July 08, 2019, 11:34:06 PM »
I'm curious if anyone knows of a shoe repair school or program? I'm already aware of the shoe industry in the Philippines but I'm curious about specifically, shoe repair training (not shoe making).

Cheers.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
Re: Shoe repair school or program?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 09:34:33 PM »
Didn't realise anybody still had shoes repaired 
Londoner at heart

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 11:07:13 AM »
I'm curious if anyone knows of a shoe repair school or program? I'm already aware of the shoe industry in the Philippines but I'm curious about specifically, shoe repair training (not shoe making).

Cheers.
Bachelor or Masters degree?

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 11:28:20 AM »
Bachelor or Masters degree?

Maybe there's a boot camp somewhere.  :) :) :)

Sorry, couldn't help it. Mea culpa!

I asked our local shoe/boot/bag/anything repair guy in the market this morning and he said he learned by watching and helping his dad. His dad, in turn, learned the trade when working with the USN in Subic in the 50's.

He didn't know of any formal training, but did recommend approaching TESDA who run all types of practical courses.

Peter

Edit: Here's a website that may be of interest. < https://www.charitep.com/tesda-courses/  >
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:45:33 AM by Peter »
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 12:21:37 PM »
I concur. Tesda is a good source. Tesda was able to give me the NC2 Comp Hardware Serv Cert with is the equiv of the US A+ except at a fraction of the price. $10 instead of $400.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline talfarlow

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 01:35:58 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies. I doubt the "repair" side of the shoe industry has a masters degree to it though I wouldn't doubt that within the shoe design/fashion and industrial side of things you can find things to fill up a masters program.
I will check out the TESDA courses. Unfortunately, the shoe making business has a number of "boutique" shoe making courses which often fall short of really teaching you the art while being very expensive.
As mentioned, the business is often handed down from many generations so it's difficult to just pop in to something for short term. The repair business is different though.....much less involved.
Any more information or thoughts on it are greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Offline talfarlow

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 01:58:38 PM »
Hi Steve and Myrlita,
By the way, I guess it wasn't or isn't a problem for a foreigner to enroll?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 02:56:24 PM by Steve & Myrlita »

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 02:58:12 PM »
Hi Steve and Myrlita,
By the way, I guess it wasn't or isn't a problem for a foreigner to enroll?
As long as you are a perm resident.

PS: I fixed my wife's name. Welcome to the forum.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline talfarlow

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 03:41:39 PM »
Ah, I'm not quite caught up with all of the details in the Philippines (I didn't know about the permanent resident requirement). I'm a US citizen, working in Vietnam with an eye on retirement in the next few years. Again, thanks for your responses.

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 04:20:38 PM »
Ah, I'm not quite caught up with all of the details in the Philippines (I didn't know about the permanent resident requirement). I'm a US citizen, working in Vietnam with an eye on retirement in the next few years. Again, thanks for your responses.

The Philippines Immigration folks are very, very strict on foreigners (when they catch them) who do not have the correct visa allowing them to be educated, employed, carry out social or voluntary work, etc. etc.

Coming in as a visitor or tourist, all you can do legally is to visit or tour. Having one of the different types of permanent visas will allow you to do what you want. Best to check with the BI website for info for your particular circumstances.
The BI has a website < http://www.immigration.gov.ph  > and an 'effbook' site as well.

Peter

Offline talfarlow

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 10:41:46 PM »
The Philippines Immigration folks are very, very strict on foreigners (when they catch them) who do not have the correct visa allowing them to be educated, employed, carry out social or voluntary work, etc. etc.

Coming in as a visitor or tourist, all you can do legally is to visit or tour. Having one of the different types of permanent visas will allow you to do what you want. Best to check with the BI website for info for your particular circumstances.
The BI has a website < http://www.immigration.gov.ph  > and an 'effbook' site as well.

Peter

Thanks Peter,
I'll check it out.

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 02:38:01 AM »
Hi Talfarlow, I live in and around Sta Cruz Laguna there are a couple of roving shoe repair men and also a few small shops and so you must have somebody in your area that repairs shoes, I'd ask them how they learned the trade.

I've had my leather dress shoes and leather walking shoes repaired and the roving repair guy sewed the soul to the shoe sort of like Dr Martin type shoes it sure saved me a ton of money and it looks nice, the cost was around $150 - 300 pesos.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 09:18:33 AM »
................................., the cost was around $150 - 300 pesos. .......

Hey M.C.A!

I've got a spare 300 pesos. Will you give me $150 American?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Seriously though. Our guy in the market has repaired a couple of pairs of boots and a pair of loafers for me. Excellent work. He uses a hand, sail-making type of needle and a small hammer and last. As you said, similar to "DM's" stitching.

Anything leather, nylon, or canvas. Bags, backpacks, shoes, boots you name it he's a whiz! PhP 50 to 250 is the usual charge, obviously dependant on the item.

Peter

Peter
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 09:28:24 AM by Peter »

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 11:53:43 AM »
In the Manila area Mr Quickie is one of the shoe/leather repair chains. Twice I've had expensive leather shoes I brought from the states resoled. Price was cheap and workmanship great. I would think that most people here in this kind of trade was hands on learning. Find yourself a tradesman that will talk to you and show you the ropes if they think you are serious.

Offline trevor

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 01:34:38 PM »
Talking about shoe repair. Had a pair of Echo shoes. Soft and very comfortable to wear and cost quite a bit. Well the sole cracked and i could not wear. Brother in law asked me if he could have it. Gave it to him. A few days later saw him wearing it with a new sole. Looks like new. Now i am saying to myself. Couldn't he told me i could have it resole. Guess i never ask. Aha.
Never look down on anyone and always extend a helping hand. Tomorrow the role may be reverse.
Life is what you make it. Nothing to do with luck.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog