Author Topic: Pinay wows Brits  (Read 6757 times)

Re: Pinay wows Brits
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 01:46:19 PM »

Download it using utorrent or similar, Azureus Vuze is too slow, and the constant loading of graphics will slow down your internet connection. I use utorrent here, and consistently get 50+ kB/ps download speed from Smart Bro or about 10% over the 384kbps they quote in their literature, I think the speeds have gone up recently.

Wayne

This depends on your internet speed. I have PLDTDSL excite and average download speed using utorrent is about 200 kB/s. This does not seem to effect the rest of the internet much, but I do slow it down if I want to watch live streaming football. Its got to the stage now that I only watch CNN, Bloomberg, BBC World and the 3 sports channels on Cable. The majority of what I watch, mostly UK TV is coming from the internet.  The Mrs is impressed as she can watch American Idol without adverts before its on the so called live satellite broadcast on Star World.       
[/quote]

You are obviously in a different league to most of the rest of us with your high speed connection. I would happily pay more for faster connection, but it is just not available here. Still, I would be interested to know the link to the UK TV broadcasts.

Colin

Offline Manila Cockney

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 02:34:28 PM »

[/quote]

You are obviously in a different league to most of the rest of us with your high speed connection. I would happily pay more for faster connection, but it is just not available here. Still, I would be interested to know the link to the UK TV broadcasts.

Colin
[/quote]

This is the one I use

http://www.thebox.bz/main.php

Its a private torrent which means you have to register and seed back to keep the ratio up. Its worth it though as it has the best selection of old and new programmes

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 03:00:32 PM »
For those that miss UK progs like Eastenders (i am NOT one) etc I find isohunt is one of the best sites

http://isohunt.com/torrents/eastenders?iht=3

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 11:15:52 AM »

More from ABS-CBN:

Filipina in UK talent show thanks fellow Pinoys

By REYMA BUAN-DEVEZA
abs-cbnNEWS.com

She\'s not just talented, she\'s also a grateful person.

Two days after www.abs-cbnNEWS.com broke the story of Madonna \"Mado\" Decena, a Filipina who got a standing ovation from her English audience after wowing UK\'s popular talent search \"Britain\'s Got Talent,\" she took time out of her busy schedule Thursday, April 24, to say how much she appreciates the attention being given to her by fellow Filipinos.

In the e-mail she sent to www.abs-cbnNEWS.com, the official news Web site of ABS-CBN, Decena praised the news site for publishing her inspiring story.

\"Hi..kamusta po... salamat sa magandang article na isinulat nyo sa akin... i\'m very pleased with how media responded to this journey of mine..salamat..I was surprised with the attention that you gave me ..and i\'m very grateful,\" Decena said.

\"I hope win or lose I would be able to inspire a lot of Filipinos especially our Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) all over the world who are sacrificing, and working hard for their loved ones to have better lives,\" Decena added.

The new YouTube sensation is also grateful that ABS-CBN\'s ANC and TV Patrol World newscasts had featured her touching story. 

\"...also..I heard I was on the morning show of ABS-CBN and TV Patrol...that was very nice of you..I hope soon I could go back to say hello to everyone. ingat at kamusta sa lahat. GOD BLESS,\" Decena said.

Mado wows \'BGT\'

Late last week, Decena got a standing ovation as she auditioned for \"Britain\'s Got Talent\" at Manchester Theatre.

Presently, Decena is one of the favorites in the second season of the show. \"Britain\'s Got Talent\" is a talent search for Britain\'s next best amateur act. Singers, dancers, comedians, and other performers of all ages join the reality contest produced by \"American Idol\" judge Simon Cowell. The show has the same format as its US counterpart, “America\'s Got Talent.”

Decena became a crowd favorite in the search after the show\'s judges Simon Cowell, actress Amanda Holden and journalist Piers Morgan voted her through to the semi-finals.

\"With the performance, taking everything into account  I absolutely love it,\" Cowell said after Decena\'s rendition of \"I Will Always Love You.\"

\"I have nothing to say, it\'s absolutely brilliant,\" Morgan said.

Decena is a 32-year-old single parent and singer who left the Philippines 18 months ago to find work in the UK. She left her two girls in the care of their grandparents. She said she decided to join the contest for her kids.

\"Well it\'s a chance for me to get more work, more opportunity for me to sing, for my kids,\" Decena said.

\"If I do well in this competition it would be life-changing not only for me but for my kids, it\'s a chance for us to be together.\"

Decena recently appeared on the The Stage Newspaper’s Showcall Showcase and on the Paul Bridson Showcase.

She also performed in a Charity Gala at The Opera House, Blackpool, along with Joe Longthorne and Frank Carson, and as a guest singer with the Andy Prior Big Band at The Grand Theatre, Blackpool on New Year’s Eve.

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 07:30:12 AM »
GUIDE NOTE: The ongoing thread about the use of Torrents to watch TV programs is of interest to the wider membership. It has been split & moved to the MEDIA board

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=992.0

Re: Pinay wows Brits (plus Mestiso)
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 05:40:26 PM »

If my wife is correct in her observations,..she recons the little lad singing on the same show is a \" Mestiso \" ??  His name is Charlie Green . His mum was back-stage and she certainly looked like a Filipina and his dad was also hugging him and he looked like British.
They both made us feel proud to see the Philippines getting some good recognition.. Well done to both  !!!

John

John,

Dee & I have just watched Episodes 1 & 2 and agree the boy is Mestiso. Absolutely brilliant watching. Great tele & great entertainment. So much talent this year, it is going to be tough choosing. For those not watching get from

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1319127

or

as MC said

http://www.torrentz.com/search?q=britains+got+talent

Download using Azureus Vuze then watch on your PC or burn to CD or DVD

.........and from today\'s GMA News.

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/92450/PEP-Half-Pinoy-kid-sings-his-way-to-Britains-hearts

Half-Pinoy kid sings his way to Britain’s hearts
04/30/2008 | 04:58 PM

Charlie Green, a ten-year old half-Filipino, sang his way to the next round of Britain’s Got Talent, a talent search created by American Idol judge Simon Cowell who also acts as judge in the show, alongside journalist Piers Morgan and actress Amanda Holdren.

During the program’s second week of live auditions in Birmingham, Charlie gave a spirited rendition of Frank Sinatra’s 1966 hit record “Summer Wind.\" He was cool and composed throughout the entire performance, even doing some old-fashioned jazz scatting and finger snapping.

After he sang, the audience gave Charlie a standing ovation and chanted his name for a few seconds.

Piers, who called the boy “Old Charlie,\" was entertained with both his singing and dancing. Amanda went as far as giving a bold forecast: “I predict, you [Charlie] could win in this show.\"

Even the panel’s harshest critic, American Idol judge Simon Cowell, had nothing but praises. He said, “Charlie, I think you’re a little star! I really, really like you!\"

In the end, Charlie got three “YES\" votes from the judges, and is now set to move on to the next round of competition.

Waiting for him at the backstage were his Filipina mom Cecilia Sumargo— who hailed from Dumajug, Cebu—and British dad, who both gave him a warm hug. When asked about the boy’s reaction to the judges’ comments, he said, obviously starstruck, “They’re really good! They were better than I thought!\"

Charlie is the second Filipino to make waves in the said talent search. First was the 32-year old single mom and club singer Madonna Decena, who auditioned in Manchester, and wowed the judges with her powerful rendition of “I Will Always Love You.\"

Auditions for Britain’s Got Talent are currently ongoing and will air locally on the first quarter of this year. - Philippine Entertainment Portal

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 04:32:46 PM »
The latest news from \'Britain\'s got talent\'

Two Filipinos prepare for \"Britain\'s Got Talent\" semifinals

by DANNY BUENAFE
ABS-CBN Europe News Bureau

The countdown begins for the semifinal round of the United Kingdom\'s primetime program, \"Britain\'s Got Talent\" (BGT).

Two Filipino performers will try to push their luck, after both received a rare standing ovation during their separate taped auditions for the program.

Single mom Madonna Decena and 11-year-old Charlie Green met each other for the first time during a courtesy call with Ambassador Edgardo Espiritu and Philippine embassy officials in London.

Green was accompanied by British dad Roger, and Filipina mom Cecil who hails from Cebu City.

It will be recalled that BGT judge Amanda Holden shed a tear while Decena sang  Whitney Houston\'s \"I Will Always Love You\", which the singer dedicated to her two daughters in Manila.

This was in contrast to Green\'s performance. The three BGT judges were in an upbeat mood as the child confidently rendered the song \"Summer Wind\" by Frank Sinatra.

With almost 150 acts, the number of performers will further be reduced to 40 as part of the initial selection process for the semifinals on Saturday.

Both Decena and Green are counting on the support of all UK-based Filipinos as the grand finals will mostly be decided through text voting.

The finals will be held on May 31st.

Offline John Amend-All

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 04:42:20 PM »
Just read that Charlie Green got eliminated in the semi-finals. Wrong choice of song was the consensus. Madonna struts her stuff tonight. Hope you guys in UK/Europe can watch and update us.

Story here:

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage.aspx?StoryId=119898

John

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2008, 03:51:16 AM »
Charlie sang his heart out, what an entertainer, but yes, the song was one his fathers pal had written for him !!
Not all bad news though, I heard that Simon Cowel (the main judge ) has offered him a singing contract. Obviously he knows good talent when he sees it, and knows he,ll make money with him too.
Good luck young lad !!
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2008, 05:36:55 AM »
Well, we watched Madona singing so hard for her kids back home in the Phils, but sadly she hasn,t made it to the finals.
I,m sure she will have had enough recognition to give her a boost in her singing career and there is a touring show going round UK with some of the best acts from the competition. Madona will no doubt be selected to join them.
Well done anyway, you done your home country proud.
John

A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

Offline John Amend-All

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2008, 09:23:30 AM »
Yes, John. I think the important thing for her was the exposure. She is now known and I\'m sure the kids will be able to join her shortly.

John

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog