Author Topic: Positive & Negative  (Read 4269 times)

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
Re: Positive & Negative
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 04:17:49 AM »
Nothing i could add to this thread except all of a sudden i feel like I\'m among my brothers and sisters.
 If i could grow more humble  like Hsiao , maybe I will continue to grow also :) :) stillbilly

Offline Maeara

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 09:28:46 PM »
I am glad that there are many foreigners who think of the brighter side of our country, Philippines.
By the way, I hope our friends will no longer call our country as PI. Since 1945, we are no longer Philippine Islands (PI), because we are now known us the Republic of the Philippines or simply Philippines.
Although, we are not as rich and as big as the USA or Germany, but we are proud of our historical heritage and the vastness and richness of our resources, especially our people.
Many foreigners wish to stay in our country after their retirement because with one thousand US dollars a month, they can meet their basic needs, and more.

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 02:22:45 AM »
I all ready asked people to do that but got negative responses. stillbilly

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 04:48:16 AM »
I all ready asked people to do that but got negative responses. stillbilly

From negative people, no doubt.  Keep promoting the RP, it\'s the proper and most accepted way.

\"Illegitimi non carborundum\" ...  Don\'t let the b***ards grind you down!

Jack the Promoter
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline rainymike

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 01:30:55 AM »
Nice post. In some respects, as I get closer to the move to the RP, I find myself thinking that I\'m becoming more of a citizen of the world than American or expatriate. Like the large multinational corporations, I\'m able to move around the planet and take advantage of the best opportunities available.

I will retain ties to the US and take advantage of its strength (keep my nest egg in American banks, for critical health care, certain goods) and enjoy the benefits of the RP (lower cost of living, different pace of life, adventure, opportunity to learn a new culture and language, volunteer work, etc.).

But it need not stop there. The RP is a good jump point to Indonesia, mainland SE Asia, China, Korea,  Australia/NZ and Japan and those present other opportunities as well. I hope to develop ties with friends that I have in those countries as well (lol ... believe it or not ... I\'ve developed several Asian friends from online gaming).

Retirement is the beginning of a new adventure. I am not suited well to vegetating. I agree with you 100%, that life is what you make it. And I think the RP presents a huge number of possibilities for personal growth. It\'s not perfect, but life is not about perfection, it\'s about seeking whatever it is that you need to seek - and enjoying the journey. I worked hard to achieve the American dream and discovered that it was a mistake. It now seems more of a dead end trap for me. Time to open up to new opportunities and feel alive again and that in our own little ways that what we do does matter and can make a difference.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 06:23:41 AM »
Excellent post, Mike!  If more people had your attitude, this would be a much healthier, happier planet.  I hope I can do the same thing when I \"retire\". 

I\'ve never been one to sit for very long.  It bores me to tears to sit and just do nothing for too long.  Relax, yes, but just do nothing, accomplish nothing, it ain\'t my style.  I prefer to travel, see new places, new faces and learn something new every chance I get.  I hope to be able to do all of the above within the next few years, while I\'m still reasonably young enough to be able to climb that mountain and swim across that river.  One day I\'ll sit back and say, \"I did that!\"

Good luck to you in all your future adventures!
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline John Amend-All

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 11:14:19 AM »
... and I believe you\'re coming to the Philippines at the right time, at least as far as the Far East is concerned. Some of the horror stories I have been reading about the UK economy in the next decade make my hair curl. No doubt similar things are being said about US, too.

This is the part of the world to be in, IMO. Our recent trip to Macau was an eye-opener; the young Chinese there looked self-confident, attractive and well dressed, yet prices are still reasonable from our perspective. After all, if a modern economy is based on brains, Orientals are no slouches in that area.

John