Author Topic: How much will I have to pay in customs duties US to Philippines?  (Read 5367 times)

Offline zzenn

I bought a battery charger and some sets of batteries from an online store in the US. It was shipped here to the Philippines express. The total cost excluding shipping was $120. Now they\'re holding my package in customs, and I would probably not have known about it if I hadn\'t called the post office and asked what\'s going on.

I have to go and pick up the package myself in order to get it. How much can I expect to pay in import duties and various fees?

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: How much will I have to pay in customs duties US to Philippines?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 02:51:02 PM »
For electronic devices you could pay as much as 100% duty on the value of the goods...
In the future, send things in a B-box labeled household goods, or put on the customs forms that they are used items and the value is low.
I have used both and the payments , if any are very low.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline zzenn

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 06:43:27 PM »
Arrrrgh, that\'s pretty bad. It seems weird if there isn\'t a proper rule for this sort of thing.
Unfortunately, I cannot ask a store to send B-box, but it\'s good to know I can expect to be fleeced. I guess for more expensive items I\'d be better off literally getting a round trip ticket and buying it there myself. I don\'t much trust the Philippine postal system with anything expensive in untracked packages.

Offline zzenn

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 10:47:16 PM »
Okay, I had to pay what I guess came to about 40-50% tax. I am definitely not buying anything else mail order. Why on Earth is the tax so high though? It\'s a bit crazy.

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 12:36:44 AM »
Welcome to the Pilippines, Zzenn. Everything is not as it would seem and removing as much money from you is the name of the game, the more the better, unless you know someone, become friends with the Postoffice Manager, take him out to lunch and have him watch out for your packages, would be my advice. I met by coincidence a retired senior police detective, he is now my friend and drinking buddy, If I ever have a problem he has assured me it can all be resolved, no matter the problem.
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 01:39:33 AM »
In real estate it\'s \"location, location, location\". 
In the Philippines many times it\'s \"connections, connections, connections\".  ;) ;)

Welcome to the Philippines, Zzenn!   ;D ;D
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 01:46:36 AM »
Zzenn,

If I may ask, what did you purchase that couldn\'t be purchased locally?  Mind you, I\'m not condemning you, just wondering if what you purchased couldn\'t be located locally, or you simply chose to buy it online because you got a good price (or at least, what you thought was a good price)

If you have family back home, you can get things shipped to you door to door by DHL, FedEx or UPS and perhaps bypass, legally, some of the traps set up by the RP customs folks.  I may be wrong.  if so, I\'m sure we\'ll find the real answer soon. 

Stay tuned.   ;D

Jack

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 07:21:40 AM »
Is there a site that lists import duty? I would like to buy some photographic equipment that is just not available in the Philippines. With the good $/£ exchange rate, there are some attractive prices from a US online site that ships to the Philippines. The alternative could be a trip to Hong Kong.

Colin

Offline BenK

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 09:38:06 AM »
I know everything, because I\'m a genius :o:

Here is a handy link to a list of every legal reference to tariff rates:

http://www.chanrobles.com/tariffandcustomslaws.html

It\'s a bunch of legalese mumbo-jumbo, really, the rates are all in there but it\'s a pain in the ass to read. In general, rates are between 3 and 50 percent of the declared value.
There\'s not much way around it (other than having a connection and cheating), so the way I look at it is that if 1.5 times the price is still a good deal, I\'ll go ahead and order whatever it is I want to buy.
Use a decent shipping company also (FedEx, DHL, etc.) NOT the post office. That is, if you actually want to see your stuff. Mine is usually DHL, they\'re very good about contacting me and taking care of the packages.
If it\'s any consolation to you, most things any of us normal people are likely to have shipped in cost about the same here as it would in the U.S. (I used to have a U.S. customs brokers\' license).
That\'s not chicken.

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 09:45:10 AM »
I know everything, because I\'m a genius :o:

Here is a handy link to a list of every legal reference to tariff rates:

http://www.chanrobles.com/tariffandcustomslaws.html

It\'s a bunch of legalese mumbo-jumbo, really, the rates are all in there but it\'s a pain in the ass to read. In general, rates are between 3 and 50 percent of the declared value.
There\'s not much way around it (other than having a connection and cheating), so the way I look at it is that if 1.5 times the price is still a good deal, I\'ll go ahead and order whatever it is I want to buy.
Use a decent shipping company also (FedEx, DHL, etc.) NOT the post office. That is, if you actually want to see your stuff. Mine is usually DHL, they\'re very good about contacting me and taking care of the packages.
If it\'s any consolation to you, most things any of us normal people are likely to have shipped in cost about the same here as it would in the U.S. (I used to have a U.S. customs brokers\' license).

Thanks for the reply. I am glad we have a genius here  ;D ;D

I think i will check out Hong Kong prices first, I am planning to go there sometime anyway.

Colin

Offline BenK

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 10:12:25 AM »
In that case, the best thing to do is to ship it back BB before you leave HK, or at least get rid of the packaging before you put the stuff in your luggage. I had an older U.S.-only model Kodak digital camera I used to carry around, and nerd that I am, I conscientiously saved the box as a safe and convenient way to carry the camera/dock/cable on longer trips. Went to Singapore, flew back here, and had to do a bunch of tap dancing to convince the stormtroopers at NAIA that the camera was actually six years old. In the meantime, the brand-new Sony Ericsson phone I\'d just bought which was worth about four times what the camera was (and for which I had a receipt and was prepared to pay tax, if that turned out to be unavoidable), safely passed duty-free in my pocket.
That\'s not chicken.

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 11:21:32 AM »
In that case, the best thing to do is to ship it back BB before you leave HK, or at least get rid of the packaging before you put the stuff in your luggage. I had an older U.S.-only model Kodak digital camera I used to carry around, and nerd that I am, I conscientiously saved the box as a safe and convenient way to carry the camera/dock/cable on longer trips. Went to Singapore, flew back here, and had to do a bunch of tap dancing to convince the stormtroopers at NAIA that the camera was actually six years old. In the meantime, the brand-new Sony Ericsson phone I\'d just bought which was worth about four times what the camera was (and for which I had a receipt and was prepared to pay tax, if that turned out to be unavoidable), safely passed duty-free in my pocket.

If I do buy a lens in HK, I will just put it with others in my camera bag. I hope they will not want to see receipt for all of them.

Colin

Offline zzenn

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 09:02:41 AM »
Graywolf, it\'s a pretty advanced charger Maha mh-c9000 and while it may be on sale somewhere in the Philippines I simply don\'t know where to look for it. I tried the closest SM and also Mall of Asia but didn\'t have much luck either place. Since I needed the charger asap I decided to buy it online.

I\'m slowly getting used to the connections-connections thing. In some ways, it\'s a good thing :)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 10:00:38 AM »
Graywolf, it\'s a pretty advanced charger Maha mh-c9000 and while it may be on sale somewhere in the Philippines I simply don\'t know where to look for it. I tried the closest SM and also Mall of Asia but didn\'t have much luck either place. Since I needed the charger asap I decided to buy it online.

I\'m slowly getting used to the connections-connections thing. In some ways, it\'s a good thing :)

Roger that, buddy.  I was just wondering because we\'ve had members before who complained about how they had to do without, and then we found out they were complaining about an item that was readily available!   ;D ;D 

But I do understand about certain electronic equipment.  Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and pay.  I would definitely try to find someone stateside who could do you a favor and ship things that you can\'t readily find near you.  Just a thought, buddy.

Take care!

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 03:22:36 PM »
Here is the main website for the company. http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/buy.asp

They have dealers in Singapore and Indonesia.

They might have dealers in RP if you ask the Indonesians etc.

Wayne
Wayne  ;D ;D