Author Topic: Mind-numbing ramblings from the \"Newbie\"  (Read 2329 times)

Offline TCummings8

Mind-numbing ramblings from the \"Newbie\"
« on: May 28, 2008, 09:17:05 AM »
Being the new kid on the block, I just want to say how refreshing it is to have adult conversation and feedback without having to contend with the normal percentage of idiots that feel it is necessary to comment in a manner that would get them barred from Hustler Magazine. I have asked a few questions and got prompt, clear, concise, and beneficial advice. No one felt it was necessary to try and sell me Amway, insurance, or various medications for various usages. This website is a rare oasis of common sense and intelligence with a peppering of humor and accountability. In response to the lovely lady who thought there may be a hidden agenda regarding my sign-in name, nothing sinester or covertly lascivious intended. T is the first initial of my first name, Cummings is my last name, and 8 just happens to be a number considered lucky in China, and I just figured it wouldn\'t hurt to have a bit of luck in my life. I happen to be a retired HMC, USN who did some time with the Marines and various other commands. If it would make anyone feel more at home, feel free to call me Bear, it was a nickname I picked up many a year ago.
Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do.

Offline Beatle

• Sr Member
Re: Mind-numbing ramblings from the \"Newbie\"
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 10:22:31 AM »
Being the new kid on the block, I just want to say how refreshing it is to have adult conversation and feedback without having to contend with the normal percentage of idiots that feel it is necessary to comment in a manner that would get them barred from Hustler Magazine.

I think you hit it on the head when you used the word \" adult \".  But I have to add one word in front of it \" mature \"

Ray
If you treat a servant like a servant, you will lead a alone. But if you treat a servant like a leader, multitudes will follow.  Beatle

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 10:51:28 AM »
Being the new kid on the block, I just want to say how refreshing it is to have adult conversation and feedback without having to contend with the normal percentage of idiots that feel it is necessary to comment in a manner that would get them barred from Hustler Magazine. I have asked a few questions and got prompt, clear, concise, and beneficial advice. No one felt it was necessary to try and sell me Amway, insurance, or various medications for various usages. This website is a rare oasis of common sense and intelligence with a peppering of humor and accountability. In response to the lovely lady who thought there may be a hidden agenda regarding my sign-in name, nothing sinester or covertly lascivious intended. T is the first initial of my first name, Cummings is my last name, and 8 just happens to be a number considered lucky in China, and I just figured it wouldn\'t hurt to have a bit of luck in my life. I happen to be a retired HMC, USN who did some time with the Marines and various other commands. If it would make anyone feel more at home, feel free to call me Bear, it was a nickname I picked up many a year ago.

Bear,

Now that you\'re settling in and feeling at home with our group, I think it\'s time we saw \"The Bear\" in his element.  Got some pics you can share with the rest of us?  Go to our photo section
http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?board=97.0 and learn how we add photos to our posts

Maybe post a few of your favorites here:
http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=732.0
and let us see you in all your glory.   ;D ;D ;D

It\'s painless and fun!  You can check out the rest of us in the Photo section to see who you\'re communicating with. 
Jump In!   Looking forward to \"seeing\" you there!

Jack  -- \"Gray Wolf\"

(click on the pic)

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:45:30 AM »
Hi Doc.  Welcome to the grupo!  Although I didn\'t reup after my first hitch (hindsight proves that a poor decision  :( ) I am always glad to welcome a fellow sailor.

GregW
USS Cree ATF-84
1966-68
Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline mmason01

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 12:44:16 AM »
Just a note of thanks.

This is hands down the best RP Expat site I have found!  From the time I decided to come to the RP to spend a year or three, or more, I have sought current useful information. I found sites that were like classifieds for money making schemes, and some that were more like classifieds for the local chamber of commerce.  Then I stumbled into this one.

Here I have found information I never even thought about.  The information from \"costs of living\" to how to be useful in your community, has opened my eyes.  I see now that my original idea about my life there was an impoverished view (beach, walks, relaxing, fishing, traveling, but nothing resembling work).  I am beginning to get a picture of me becoming a part of a community, where I will be best served by finding a way to be useful.  That in itself will be an education.

When I was in the Air Force, I was a sponsor of choice in my office.  I had lived in the Kaiserslautern/Pfalz, Germany community for a long time, and knew how to get things done.  When a new person was coming in, I\'d always be privileged to show them the ropes and get them settled. I even secured a house or apartment and bought groceries, if asked, (they sent money for these things).  The feeling of making someone else\'s relocation almost painless was incredibly satisfying.  This site is similar in many ways.  It shows me things about which I have not thought, and gives me information that leads me to investigate further.

Who knows, perhaps I will be useful just helping new arrivals in my area.

So, thanks for a great site.

Michael

In search of \"MU\"

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 06:21:55 AM »
Michael,

Have you seen our parent website?  http://www.livinginthephilippines.com

There are over 900 pages of information on everything you can think of, and then some.  This forum is a mere shadow of the website and merely a place designed to discuss details and answer questions.  The website is a virtual encyclopedia of Filipino information.  Check it out.  It will take you days, if not weeks, to read all we have there.

Welcome to the group!

Jack
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 08:16:43 AM »
Well I didn\'t reup either and I don\'t think I would have made it through a 2nd time even in the most non-regulation outfit? Young, dumb and defiant!
B-Ray
USN-CBs
MCB-10 (Alaska detachment)

Hi Doc.  Welcome to the grupo!  Although I didn\'t reup after my first hitch (hindsight proves that a poor decision  :( ) I am always glad to welcome a fellow sailor.

GregW
USS Cree ATF-84
1966-68

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 10:53:18 AM »
B-Ray wrote;
  Well I didn\'t reup either and I don\'t think I would have made it through a 2nd time even in the most non-regulation outfit? Young, dumb and defiant! 

Same reason I didn\'t reup!  LOL    8)  I could tell stories about my defiance but this is not the time or place for that.  But, if I had reupped?  I would be looking at moving to the RP a lot younger with a nice pension.  Or going later in life (like I will do) but with two, count \'em, two pensions!  If I coulda, I shoulda, wish I woulda.   :\'( :(

Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 11:20:22 AM »
B-Ray wrote;

Same reason I didn\'t reup!  LOL    8)  I could tell stories about my defiance but this is not the time or place for that.  But, if I had reupped?  I would be looking at moving to the RP a lot younger with a nice pension.  Or going later in life (like I will do) but with two, count \'em, two pensions!  If I coulda, I shoulda, wish I woulda.   :\'( :(

I only spent my two years national service with the RAF for the same reason. I sometimes wonder what life would be like now if I had continued as a regular.

Colin