Author Topic: BEST TIME WASTER EVER INVENTED  (Read 2802 times)

Offline BenK

• Sr Member
BEST TIME WASTER EVER INVENTED
« on: May 31, 2008, 03:59:45 PM »
I think this qualifies more as \"hobby\" than \"computer stuff\" -- at least it does for me:

MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR X :o :o :o :o

Yeah, it\'s expensive, but I would have paid extra for this much fun. As if I wasn\'t kind of a geek before, now it\'s official.
Not being much for \"instructions\" or \"training\" or \"practice\", these were my first two flights:
#1 -- Fly an ultralight from Griffith, Indiana to Midway Airport in Chicago. No sweat.
#2 -- Feeling as though I had this whole flying thing under control, I decided to fly an Airbus 321 :o from Baguio to NAIA. Got it off the ground (someone swore that\'s impossible with that plane at that airport, but I did it), got all the way to Manila, missed my approach, tried to go around, screwed the damn thing into the ground in Paranaque somewhere. Oh well. Sorry, 104 dead passengers. At least I got you all close to your destination, eh? hahahaha

Back to the ultralight for a while I guess.
That\'s not chicken.

Re: BEST TIME WASTER EVER INVENTED
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 04:21:47 PM »
I think this qualifies more as \"hobby\" than \"computer stuff\" -- at least it does for me:

Yeah, it\'s expensive, but I would have paid extra for this much fun. As if I wasn\'t kind of a geek before, now it\'s official.
Not being much for \"instructions\" or \"training\" or \"practice\", these were my first two flights:
#1 -- Fly an ultralight from Griffith, Indiana to Midway Airport in Chicago. No sweat.
#2 -- Feeling as though I had this whole flying thing under control, I decided to fly an Airbus 321 :o from Baguio to NAIA. Got it off the ground (someone swore that\'s impossible with that plane at that airport, but I did it), got all the way to Manila, missed my approach, tried to go around, screwed the damn thing into the ground in Paranaque somewhere. Oh well. Sorry, 104 dead passengers. At least I got you all close to your destination, eh? hahahaha

Ben,

Best laugh i\'ve had in ages.

Glad you missed Sta Rosa. I believe Colin is a bit of a whiz with this program too

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 04:50:33 PM »

Ben,

Best laugh i\'ve had in ages.

Glad you missed Sta Rosa. I believe Colin is a bit of a whiz with this program too

I haven\'t used it for a long time. I guess I will have to dust of the joystick and reload the program. I used to try flying all sorts of aircraft from Puerto Princesa airport, and I also tried flying a 747 under the Golden gate Bridge  ;D

Colin

Offline BenK

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 11:34:45 PM »
UPDATE: So far I\'ve flown to Palawan (it counted, because even though I crashed and snapped my landing gear off, it was at least on the runway), flew successfully to Basco and back -- my landings are not pretty, but I\'m at least getting it there, and then got cocky again and tried flying the 747, first time was another bellyflop, second time ended up in Manila Bay on account of trying to make it do a loop.

I finally decided to take it sort of seriously and downloaded an extensive manual I found online for the Mooney M20, so that\'s my new toy. My objective is to fly it home (which would be the airport in Lansing, Illinois) from Manila. I\'ve already mapped out the route thanks to Google Earth, and as soon as I can demonstrate some competence (like being able to land on the main gear instead of the nosewheel and one wingtip), I\'m going to give it a try. Assuming, of course, I\'m not interrupted by the annoyance of actual work, like I was today.
That\'s not chicken.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 07:22:59 AM »
Ah the benefit of being retired is realised at last  ;D I can play \'Ace Combat\' on my playstation & take my A10 tank buster right down the canyon, feet off the ground & blow the pants off the bad guys all day. No 4 letter words like \'work\' allowed here

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 10:47:40 PM »
 :) no truer words have been spoken............ :)  billy2002

Offline samatm

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 09:50:24 AM »
I\'ve got flt sim 2004 and was wondering if the newer update is that much \"cooler\" .       I got a kick out of \"flying\"  the amphib caravan to spots all around the PI.... one of my favorite flights is from NAIA to landing on the lake  inside TAAL  then departing to Puerta Galera.    Also I liked flyng from ORMOC to CEBU ..geez only 20 mins....what takes at least 2 hrs by fast boat or overnight on slow boat.

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 10:38:53 AM »
I used FS2004 in the past, but have now got FSX ready to load, plus grand canyon scenery. A 747 through the grand canyon should be interesting  ;D ;D ;D

Colin

Offline BenK

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 12:38:30 PM »
I used FS2004 in the past, but have now got FSX ready to load, plus grand canyon scenery. A 747 through the grand canyon should be interesting  ;D ;D ;D

Colin

Do the old approach to Kai Tak in Hong Kong, you know, the really hairy, aim-it-at-the-mountain one over Kowloon...no \"checkerboard\" on the mountain but the scenery produces a square white building in roughly the same spot. I did it on the first try in both the airbus and 737, wrecked the 747 twice before I got it right. Set the scenario up with about a 15 knot crosswind, and that\'s just about right for that place -- it\'s as scary flying it in sim as it was riding it as a passenger in real life.

Lately when I\'ve had time, which has not been much, I\'ve been amusing myself by making the game give me all sorts of random multiple failures. That\'s fun.
That\'s not chicken.