Author Topic: What form of money to bring?  (Read 10064 times)

Re: What form of money to bring?
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 01:57:20 AM »
Thanks, Billy. Your reply is helpful. However, I have another question. How much Philippine money should I bring? I read a post last week that said do not bring large bills like 5,000 pesos because people will think you are rich. All this talk about thieves and so many warnings affects my mood about going home. Even though I am flying straight to Tacloban (plane change in Manila) all the warnings give me a headache. I am actually paranoid about what to bring and how to bring it. Supposedly there are kids allowed in the terminal who may try to lift your suitcase for you and steal your stuff. Are these warnings exaggerated? Even though I was born and raised in Tacloban it has been 25 years since my last visit. Is security lax at the international airport in Manila? I think all the reading I\'m doing via guide books is affecting my ability to think straight, and to rationalize events. With so many warnings I am wondering why anyone would want to retire in the Philippines.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 02:12:22 AM »
We are living in 2009 and p1000 notes are everywhere, but you cannot use them for a taxi most times or a street vendor, but don\'t worry and start having fun. The warnings are all bs IMO and there is no reason to worry and you even speak the language, so try to dress like people do in the Philippines, do not wear any fancy watches or jewelry and maybe wear shorts and flip flops and you will fit right in. I walk down the streets of Cebu and CDO all the time and no one ever bothers me and I am white. Try to get some smaller bills for taxis and use your larger bill in restaurants etc. No worries, just enjoy.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 02:22:21 AM »
quote author=Meg link=topic=1291.msg16306#msg16306 date=1243533440]
Thanks, Billy. Your reply is helpful. However, I have another question. How much Philippine money should I bring? I read a post last week that said do not bring large bills like 5,000 pesos because people will think you are rich.

I wouldn\'t bring any PhP with me as the exchange rate here in the USA will be too low. Keep 1 or 2 of the $100 bills handy to exchange in the Manila Terminal. The exchange rate in the USA is low.

All this talk about thieves and so many warnings affects my mood about going home. Even though I am flying straight to Tacloban (plane change in Manila) all the warnings give me a headache. I am actually paranoid about what to bring and how to bring it. Supposedly there are kids allowed in the terminal who may try to lift your suitcase for you and steal your stuff.

Manila Terminal is no better or worse than any other International Terminal. I will send you an Email about being alert with things to watch for while you are in other countries. It\'s pretty good.

Are these warnings exaggerated? Even though I was born and raised in Tacloban it has been 25 years since my last visit. Is security lax at the international airport in Manila? I think all the reading I\'m doing via guide books is affecting my ability to think straight, and to rationalize events.

Again, remember that sensationalism is what sells books!

With so many warnings I am wondering why anyone would want to retire in the Philippines.

Let me know if I can help you,

Billy
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 03:38:22 AM »
Hi again, Billy:

Thank you so much for the input. Much appreciated. You have been such a wealth of information. I am sort of embarrassed to be asking these questions considering that I am a native of the Philippines. But a 40 year absence makes me a stranger to my own country. As for dressing like the natives, I don\'t wear shorts or flip flops. I wear jeans, shirts and sandals only. I read in a guide that immigration officials frown on Americans wearing flip flops and sometimes even refuse to grant an extension on visas. See how paranoid one can get?

How do you find out what the exchange rate is in the Philippines? I know how to find out from the US because I have the url for a currency exchange site. If there is a url that shows the rate from dollar to peso in the Philippines, I would greatly appreciate it.

Take care. :)

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2009, 03:43:01 AM »
Mr. Lee - I really don\'t know much about the styles in the Philippines but I did go on YouTube and saw photos of people in Tacloban wearing western wear-jeans, t-shirts, etc. So, not sure about shorts and flip flops. I am a certified jeans wearing chick. Sandals, yes. Flip flops, no. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2009, 02:46:06 PM »
Hi again, Billy:

Thank you so much for the input. Much appreciated. You have been such a wealth of information. I am sort of embarrassed to be asking these questions considering that I am a native of the Philippines. But a 40 year absence makes me a stranger to my own country. As for dressing like the natives, I don\'t wear shorts or flip flops. I wear jeans, shirts and sandals only. I read in a guide that immigration officials frown on Americans wearing flip flops and sometimes even refuse to grant an extension on visas. See how paranoid one can get?

How do you find out what the exchange rate is in the Philippines? I know how to find out from the US because I have the url for a currency exchange site. If there is a url that shows the rate from dollar to peso in the Philippines, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi Meg,
I use this site to always keep informed of the current exchange rate....God Bless

http://business.inquirer.net/forex/
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
*** RIP DON H. ***

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2009, 03:01:14 PM »
Hi again, Billy:

Thank you so much for the input. Much appreciated.

Good solid advice from Billy

Try xe.com for foreign exchange in the initial tables you\'ll have to click on \"additinal currencies\" to see Philippine Pesos

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2009, 11:33:27 PM »
Hi Steve:

Thanks for the url on exchange rates. This will be of great assistance to me when I arrive in the islands. Much obliged, sir. ;D

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2009, 04:51:59 PM »
Hi Steve:

Thanks for the url on exchange rates. This will be of great assistance to me when I arrive in the islands. Much obliged, sir. ;D
You are most welcome...God Bless.....
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
*** RIP DON H. ***

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog