Author Topic: Help  (Read 3708 times)

Offline whittler

Help
« on: July 03, 2008, 09:40:42 AM »
Hi whittler here, I need some advice. I am selling my house in the US, and the market is down the tubes.
I am not sure yet where I want to sink my roots, and my son thought I should rent my house till the market breaks, and try the P.I. After I pay my bills I will only have $1,500 usd, net a month.
Could I live in comfort, ie a room with air, internet, and able to go out a couple times a week ?
I don\'t drink or smoke.
So what I need to know is can I make it or am I stuck in Indiana, till the market breaks?

Thanks,

whittler/ aka Mike

ps I hope  I gave you enough info

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:44:51 AM »
Hi whittler here, I need some advice. I am selling my house in the US, and the market is down the tubes.
I am not sure yet where I want to sink my roots, and my son thought I should rent my house till the market breaks, and try the P.I. After I pay my bills I will only have $1,500 usd, net a month.
Could I live in comfort, ie a room with air, internet, and able to go out a couple times a week ?
I don\'t drink or smoke.
So what I need to know is can I make it or am I stuck in Indiana, till the market breaks?

Thanks,

whittler/ aka Mike

Mike,

$1500 is just slightly less than the salary of President Gloria Arroyo.  Since you don\'t smoke or drink, you\'ll do just fine on that amount.  Unless of course you like to spend money on women, or expensive food, or limousines.   :o  ;D
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 10:01:46 AM »
I don\'t drink or smoke.

Thanks,

whittler/ aka Mike

Hi Mike & welcome,

You can get some reality checks on how much to live here by reading some FACTS.

These are cost of living figures from members (including mine) for you to figure for yourself:

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?board=9.0

But, yes, $1500 will give you a decent lifestyle here, just think about medical costs though.

Good luck!

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 10:23:32 AM »
whittler wrote;
  can I make it or am I stuck in Indiana

Reminds me of that old Credence Clearwater Revival song, \"Stuck in Lodi again\".  LOL

Yes, you can do quite well on that amount in the RP.  Where you live will likely determne your lifestyle.  Your money will not reach as far if you live in a big city like Manila or Cebu City.  You could live on the fringes of a large city, more or less in a suburb to stretch your money farther.  Living on the fringe not only is less expensive but you\'re still close enough to all the amenities that a city has to offer.  Like American style food for one.  Or you could live out in the province, what we call \"the sticks\" in the US.  There your money would be a king\'s ransom. 

Have you been to RP before?  If not, come on over for a visit and test the waters.

Good luck.
Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline whittler

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 12:37:12 AM »
I want to thank everyone for their fast response. I probably won\'t make a move until next year so
I can build up a nice saving acct. for a back up.
I ask this question in another part of the forum, but did not understand the different visa\'s.
Do I need to get a visa before I come over, or do I get one as I arrive like in Thailand ?
Do you have a retirement visa ?
Sorry for all the dumb questions, but I don\'t even know what to ask.

Thanks again,

whittler/ aka Mike

Offline whittler

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 01:06:05 AM »
Sorry guys I got ahead of myself. The visa question was answered. But I do have another question.
I have a friend who lived in PI for awhile, and said he liked Cebu, what area is Cebu when looking
for cost of living ?

Mike

Offline BenK

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 01:44:25 AM »
Cebu is the second-largest city, in the Visayas, central part of the country. Some guys live around there could tell you more about it, personally I like the mountains (northern Luzon or central Mindanao) better, little bit more agreeable climate. But that\'s just me.

HEY, where in Indiana ya from? I\'m from Highland, grew up running around Hammond/East Chicago/Cal City. Went the other direction when I grew up and got respectable and had a house downstate in Madison for a while until my first marriage blew up on me. Miss the house, don\'t miss her.
That\'s not chicken.

Offline whittler

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 10:19:35 AM »
Hi BenK, I am from Aurora, which is next to Lawrenceburg, which is next to Cincinnati, Ohio.
I am not sure where I will go yet. I have a lot of research to do.

Thanks.

Mike/ aka whittler

Offline Manila Cockney

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 03:48:19 PM »
I don\'t drink or smoke.

Thanks,

whittler/ aka Mike

Mike,

$1500 is just slightly less than the salary of President Gloria Arroyo.  Since you don\'t smoke or drink, you\'ll do just fine on that amount.  Unless of course you like to spend money on women, or expensive food, or limousines.   :o  ;D

Yes but he will not have GMA\'s expense account to live on! In 2007 her travel expense alone was 49.04 million pesos per month

http://www.pcij.org/i-report/2008/op-audit3.html

Offline larry

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 12:44:38 AM »
You will be fine on that amount  like they say  keep some money in bank for  hospital stays as they want cash up front  or wont let u go !! example an stent placement in manila heart hospital will cost u 180 thousand peso =4 thousand dollars

Offline Manila Cockney

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 09:40:37 AM »
You will be fine on that amount  like they say  keep some money in bank for  hospital stays as they want cash up front  or wont let u go !! example an stent placement in manila heart hospital will cost u 180 thousand peso =4 thousand dollars

Nearly 4 years ago, 2 weeks confinement after entering emergency from a heart attack, many tests including MRI and angiogram, plus a stent implant, total cost at Asian Hospial for small private room was 650,000 pesos. The cost of a boston scientific drug-eluting stent aloine was 126,500 pesos plus another 32,500 for the baloon.

What you need is a credit card with a high enough limit.

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 10:32:23 AM »
Whittler wrote;
  what area is Cebu when looking for cost of living ? 

I would think you\'d be allright living in Cebu City if your lifestyle is not too extravagant.  i.e. not too much barhopping, that sort of thing.  If you live just outside Cebu City it should be even better.  There is a member of LinP3, not sure if he\'s made it to the forum yet, but he lives in Talisay City about 20-30 minutes from Cebu City (non rush hour).  He has monthly expenses of $850.  That includes his rent on a new 4 bedroom house, and taking care of his wife, baby and a live in maid, all their household expenses plus eating out at restaurants on a regular basis.  It does not include medical or other emergencies.  I believe his income in $1500 like yours and assume he saves the difference.  Hopefully he\'s here and will also post.  You could also try Minglanilla just past Talisay.  On the north you could try Compostela or even Liloan.  Lapu Lapu City on Mactan Island, also Cordova there.  These are all within relatively easy distance from Cebu City for shopping, cinemas, malls, etc.

Good luck.

Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline BenK

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 02:58:52 PM »
Hi BenK, I am from Aurora, which is next to Lawrenceburg, which is next to Cincinnati, Ohio.
I am not sure where I will go yet. I have a lot of research to do.

Thanks.

Mike/ aka whittler

Excellent! My parents moved to Lawrenceburg a year or so ago, but I\'ve not seen the place since I was here by then obviously.
That\'s not chicken.

Offline BenK

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 03:07:00 PM »
Oh, and to put my two cents\' worth in on your original question, we have a family of six in two apartments with the full range of modern conveniences (air conditioning, two of all the appliances, computers, TVs, cable, internet, etc etc) on the fringe of Metro Manila, and our actual expenses are more or less P40,000 a month, which is somewhat less than $1,000. So I\'d think you would do just fine on your budget, especially since you don\'t have the bad habits I do.
That\'s not chicken.