Author Topic: Retirement visa or Tourist visa?  (Read 34001 times)

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
Re: Retirement visa or Tourist visa?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 01:53:41 PM »
Thanks for starting this thread :) It basically answered most of the questions I had regarding the tourist vs retirement visas.  Just to clarify one point though:  The initial 21 one day stay is visa free correct?  I'm a little confused as the Ph Aust embassy site says Australians can enter without a visa for 21 days but I see you guys discussing initial visa applications or is that just for the first up 59 day visa?

This is all great information guys, my planned moved has just come forward a bit :)
If you are going to stay longer than 21 days, arrange a visa.

If you will not leave regularly, make it a 59 day visa which is shown as a 3 month visa on the website.

It is 3 months because you have 3 months from date of issue to use it. Once you enter, you can only stay 59 days without extending. By the way the first extension from 59 days to 4 months costs about P7600. Some people prefer to travel out of the Philippines rather than pay P7600.

If you will be travelling in and out of the Philippines regularly, arrange a 6 month or one year multiple entry visa. Brett described the one year multiple entry as new but it has been around for as long as I have been visiting the Philippines.

If you come in on a one year multiple entry visa, you can still only stay a maximum of 59 days, unless you arrange an extension.
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 02:03:11 PM »
Thanks guys for the advice, he is in Leyete at the moment, after a short txt convo he was given the 59 days on arrival.

It all gets a bit confusing, this time for my renewal I was also asked to supply information about how I am supporting myself as I have been here over 18 months now (which was easily arranged)  Its not as if I am living on welfare handouts from the Philippines Govt.  :o

Cheers
Brett

Hello Brett

Just in case it is helpful for your friend on Leyte, I read on another forum that every Monday you can now get your extensions in Ormoc City at the city hall. They also do the Emigration Clearance Certificate. It may be more convenient than travelling to Tacloban or to Mandaue City.

Although, a trip to immigration in Mandaue is a good excuse to visit the big city and live it up for a day or 2.
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • A happy retired Aussie living a relaxing lifestyle
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 06:12:28 AM »
Thanks sibbick1, good advice, I shall pass that on to him  :D

Cheers
Brett
I have never seen the world brighter and less prosperous.

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 11:22:52 AM »
Brett,

Your friend had better go to Immig. and get his passport stamped.
A multiple entry visa just means he can come and go for the period of
time the visa is in force (1 year). If he is here more than 21 days at a time
he needs to get an extension or he will be fined.

Graham

Whoops, sorry guys, my bad. I truly thought it was for only 21 days.

Graham

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • A happy retired Aussie living a relaxing lifestyle
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 11:55:11 AM »
Thanks to all,

The matter is solved, he checked his passport and it was stamped 59 days.

Cheers
Brett
I have never seen the world brighter and less prosperous.

Offline FLYBOYRD49

• Sr Member
  • ZOOMER
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 08:46:57 PM »
 :) Hey guys good stuff, my Filipino wife, my daughter and I are retiring in Cebu after 7 years of planning. After reading all the comments it looks like the best is the Balikbyan Visa, that we ask for upon arrival, which means we have to leave the country every 1 year for day. I am curious though about the spousal visa if anyone can elaborate...oh and what about my daughter...anything for her?

Robert D....flyboyusaf....zoomer

Offline mikbal

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 09:34:34 PM »
   Was you wife still a Philippine citizen when your daughter was born?

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 10:30:20 PM »
:) Hey guys good stuff, my Filipino wife, my daughter and I are retiring in Cebu after 7 years of planning. After reading all the comments it looks like the best is the Balikbyan Visa, that we ask for upon arrival, which means we have to leave the country every 1 year for day. I am curious though about the spousal visa if anyone can elaborate...oh and what about my daughter...anything for her?

Robert D....flyboyusaf....zoomer

The balikbayan privilege is not a visa (see my other post on this today)

If you are married to a Filipina, I would have her file for a 13a Visa.  You have full privileges and never have to leave the country. 
Also, I would make certain to get this done before you move to Cebu and avoid the probationary period and extra fees.

Welcome to the group!   :)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline FLYBOYRD49

• Sr Member
  • ZOOMER
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 04:21:34 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply...and yes you are correct the balikbyan is not a visa, so I guess I will have to get info on the 13a visa, we can probably get this information online and download forms etc...correct?

flyboyrd

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 07:19:51 AM »
You can get all the info you need to decide right here on this forum!
 :)

Start here:
http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?board=58.0

You'll see several topics under 13a discussing various aspects of the 13a.  I recommend that you get one before you relocate to Cebu.  It will save you money and time and avoid the probationary period.

Louisville, KY USA

Offline FLYBOYRD49

• Sr Member
  • ZOOMER
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2013, 01:05:08 AM »
Planning on keeping a US address and bank, the question is if I am going to live in RP do I need to notify the US Embassy or anyone else, any other requirements, I should be aware of?

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2013, 01:18:16 AM »
FLYBOYRD49,
This topic has been covered extensively here: http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?board=58.0, but here's my lengthy two cents worth just for you!
Since your wife is a Filipina and will be traveling with her and your child, you will all get the BB stamp good for a free one year stay upon entry into the Philippines! BTW, as a new BI ruling, "balikbayan former Filipino citizens" can just purchase a one-way ticket to or from the Philippines and or other countries! It also includes you and your child, which is a first that I have seen this in print, but not confirmed on the BI gov website, but I do have a Facebook message from BI saying so. (refer to the link "Anyway Around This Rule" half way down the page). So, if one is going to stay in the Philippines for a year or indefinite, why pay the extra cost of a round trip ticket with an on-ward (throwaway) ticket when a Balikbayan is now exempted, but most airlines still don't know this new ruling or they've misinterpreted the ruling! So, it's best to ask your airline where you will be purchasing your tickets to be on the safe side!
One looses money refunding a return and an on-ward (throwaway) ticket!
The round trip and on-ward tickets only refers to regular non-Filipino, non-Balikbayan tourists!

THE ON-WARD TICKET RULE - former Filipino citizens, their spouse and children are exempted
http://philfaqs.com/get-there/do-i-need-a-return-ticket-to-fly-to-the-philippines/
In order to avoid any misunderstandings or arguments with any immigration and or airline officials, show them a copy of the article or BI memorandums to back up your statements to the facts or explanations! It would also be wise to send an email to the main BI office in Manila to get it in writing via your email conversations concerning this matter and also have point of contact in the future! 
BALIKBAYAN PROGRAM RA6768
http://www.philippinessanfrancisco.org/philippines-sf/consular-services-sf/faq-sf/#balikbayan
At least within that year, you can decide what visa is best for you, your wife and children.
Dual citizenship for your wife and children would be the best way to go and if you still have time left, do it there in the U.S., because it's much easier and faster and should only take less than an hour if you get to the Philippine Consulate at opening time! New Philippines passport applications will take 6 months in the U.S. and a few weeks in the Philippines, but a hassle! 
For you the foreign spouse, the BB Program with extensions up to an additional 24 months after your BB stamp has expired, 13a or the SRRV is available to you! There are pros and cons weather to apply for your 13a or SRRV in the U.S. vs doing it in the Philippines! The advantage of still being in the U.S., you can get your police clearance and or your FBI clearance and finger prints alot easier and will be used for your 13a or SRRV application, because once in the Philippines it's a hassle! Just do your own research and decide for yourself!
Other tips that may be helpful:
* Notifying or enrolling with the U.S. Embassy or State Department isn't mandatory, but read the info at the link below and make your own decision to do so or not!
http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/registration/registration_4789.html
* Notify your bank and credit card companies that you will be residing in the Philippines, because if you don't they may block your accounts when you try to use your credit cards outside of the U.S.!
* Bring ample amounts of your blank U.S. personal checks so you can write out personal checks for dollar deposits into your local Philippine dollar account, but will usually take 25 days to clear!
Read all the topics on here concerning banking in the Philippines to avoid all the pitfalls!
* About medical insurance health plans! Will your U.S. medical insurance company cover you and your family in the Philippines? Most hospitals here only accept cash up front, maybe except for Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Etna Medical Health Insurance! Since you are retired military, TRICARE here is not the same as in the U.S., you still have to pay cash up front here and then file for reimbursement to TRICARE, which takes a few months to get reimbursed, a real big hassle! BTW, it's best that you update you and your family's DEERS info and military I.D. cards at your nearest military installation before coming to the Philippines!
https://www.google.com/search?q=military+rapids

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 02:44:03 PM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline FLYBOYRD49

• Sr Member
  • ZOOMER
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 03:16:30 AM »
wow ART, seems that you have done many times....probably cut and paste...LOL anyway thanks for all the info, most of it I researched previously on the forum site as there is so much written, seems as when a new person joins they ask the same questions.

For me, I have most of my plan laid out, I am going to Chicago and get my 13a Visa paperwork started for me and my daughter, most likely in November as that will give me ample time for delays. As for banking, I am using CITIBANK for all of my pensions and SSN to be deposited, of which there are several branches in CEBU. I am also planning to open an account in PNB or BPI so that I can have a an account locally (more than likely it will be my wifes account). I am also planning on getting a VISA or MC thru the Bank as well.
As for medical my wife already as a PHILHEALTH account and I will have TRICARE as well for us.

I am not sure about driving, I am on the fence with this one, I have driven in Cebu before but I have heard so many horror stories that I am reluctant but we will see. I am leaving a US address for voting and tax purposes BUT I am unsure about filing income tax, may need advice on this one. This will happen mid 2014, sounds like a long time but you know as we get older time flies.....:0

Anyway thanks again ART for taking the time to help us.

FLYBOYRD

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 08:26:49 AM »
Yeah, retirement is a stage in our lives of a new beginning when we leave what we have known as the “human rat race” of the 30 to 40 yrs of our working career in the U.S. and leave it all behind us to live in a foreign land where our wives originated from. Hope everything works out for you and your family here in the Philippines! We are truly the fortunate ones, because not everyone can retire nowadays due to the global economy as it is today.
I just condensed everything into one page as sort of an up to date important footnotes useful in planning ones retirement which everyone goes through in planning their move. 15 years ago we didn't know any of these things and just took a "leap of faith" moving to the Philippines after I retired in 1997 with just a small pension and no money in the bank or credits cards, but we were debt free and got rid of everything we owned in the U.S.. We learned everything the hard way day by day trail and error upon on our arrival here in the Philippines, because we didn't have a computer, cellphone, land-line or forums like this to help, but we did fairly well all of these years! We’re now pretty much settled in our ways and doing well and hope all those who have recently retired here experience the same easy way of life into their retirement!
Just a heads up, TRICARE here in the Philippines is a different ball of of wax, because it's not what it is there in the U.S.! Just be sure you have high limit credit cards of at least $25,000 to cover the cost of huge up front cash payments for just in case of catastrophic illnesses or injuries or have a nest egg to it's equivalency, because everything here is a reimbursement type of coverage where you have to file your own claims after the fact and it's very complicated, tedious and frustrating, but at least PhilHealth here will help a little!
There's a Yahoo Group forum of retired military living in the Philippines who has lots of information concerning TRICARE you can check out or join as a member. As for filing your annual income tax, it's a piece of cake if you have nothing to declare in the U.S.! I've used Turbo Tax on-line e-filing, payment owed and or receiving refunds for the past 10 years and only takes about an hour from start to finish doing the EZ1040 short form, maybe 2 hrs doing the long form and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, about less than $60 for the short form on the average!   
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:40:12 AM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline FLYBOYRD49

• Sr Member
  • ZOOMER
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 09:11:12 PM »
ART, I envy you and I am so happy for you that everything worked out for you and your family, it must have been quite an experience when you think back about it.

Yes, you are so right, thinking of retiring after 50 years of working, including 30 years in the USAF, seems very tiring just thinking about it. However; I do feel lucky because I am able to retire, so many of my friends and colleagues cannot retire, they just cannot afford it, most of them will pass on while still working. Our government has made it so difficult for people 60 years and up that they feel that they cannot survive unless they keep working....very sad. Some of my friends had to borrow from their 401k just stay above water, having re-financed their homes, putting their children through college etc! I have a close friend that worked at IBM as a programmer, he worked there for 25 years and at age 59 they let him go.  He still has kids in college and a mortgage, car payment and medical bills. At age 59 nobody wants to hire him so he is doing consultant work for $15 per hour, poor guy. So guys, those of you on this forum never forget how lucky you are and never complain because there is ALWAYS someone worse off than you.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 11:05:28 PM by Gray Wolf »

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog