Author Topic: Retirement visa or Tourist visa?  (Read 35803 times)

Offline whittler

Retirement visa or Tourist visa?
« on: July 03, 2008, 11:37:54 AM »
I have never been to the P.I. before. I am retired, and not sure how long I want to stay. What kind of visa do I get, and can I extend it ? Also do they have a retirement visa like Thailand ?

Thanks

whittler

Offline ray.len

Re: Retirement visa or Tourist visa?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 08:58:01 AM »
U can extend after the 21 days for another 30 days . Twice then u get an extension for a year. This has to be at an immigration office. If you enter the Ph with your wife then as you go through customs ask for a Balikbayan this will give you 1 year in the ph. You have to be with your wife and show proof of who she is etc. They will stamp your passport for balikbayan giving you 1 year in the ph.
  I did the extension thing before. I left and went back to the states. then found out about the Balikbayan.  You can go on line at the philippineembassy-usa.org and ask about this. They will send you info on it. also if your plane tickets are for longer than 21 days you should have info about the balikbayan   to show them at check in counter departing the us. it is ok to stay longer than 21 days.

Offline oneiloilokano

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 09:19:22 AM »
The best option is to start with the tourist visa. It\'s easy to extend and relatively cheap. That is assuming you\'re single.
If your married to a local then your best bet is to come here with her and avail of the one year free stay \"Balikbayan stamp\" and if you decide to retire here get the 13a Spousal Visa.

If coming here single you don\'t have to have a round trip ticket, but you need at least a further on destination. Most people will buy a \"trash ticket\" to Hong Kong or Singapore to meet the requirement.

You\'ll know after 1 year if you want to retire here. It\'s best not to go through all the expense of a SRRV (Retirement Visa) until your sure that the Philippines is for you.

Sure the cheap cost of living and Tropical climate attract Retirees. But there are some things unique to the Philippines that some foreigners just cannot adapt to.

Paul in Iloilo
USN CPO Retired, Married and living in Iloilo City since 2002.

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 04:35:33 AM »
U can extend after the 21 days for another 30 days . Twice then u get an extension for a year. This has to be at an immigration office.

Actually your first extension is for 38 days making a total of 59 days.  You can also obtain a single entry visa from the Philippine Embassy or Consulate serving your home area that will give you the full 59 days upon arrival.  It\'ll also cost you about half as much as that 38 day extension.  After your initial 59 days you may continue to extend for 16 months.  However you must do this in two month increments, always going to immigration to obtain the extension approx one week before it\'s expiration.  After 16 months you may extend for another 8 months, again in two month increments, but you will need the approval of the head office in Manila each time.  This can be done by having local immigration fax the paperwork to Manila.  That will give you 24 months or a total of two years in country.  At that point you must leave the country.  You may re-enter as soon as you wish and start the extensions all over again.
Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 11:35:20 PM »
The balikbayan option is what I\'m going to do.  Landing on a 21 day tourist visa by myself, then taking the wife on a quickie 4 day hong kong vacation and returning as balikbayan.  The reason for this is to save on the headache of extending a tourist visa or having a tourist visa expire while in the middle of a 13a application that takes 2 months. 

The wife gets her shopping needs taken care of, and don\'t have to waste time on the extra trips to the BOI.

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 06:58:41 AM »
Got my immigrant visa approved yesterday.  Just waiting on my name to show up on the website.  Simple process really.  The info desk at intramuros answered all our questions. No need for a fixer.  Btw there is a free notary at the immigration now. Ignore the scammers outside who are hawking notary services and demanding money for use of the taxis.

After the 5 minute hearing at immigration, took a taxi to LTO. 

2 hours, a drug test, physical, 2 papers and 1100 pesos later I have a local license.  I now have valid licenses for 3 countries, and 2 of them licenses to drive everything including semi trucks.

Offline BrettGC

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 11:56:06 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread :) It basically answered most of the questions I had regarding the tourist vs retirement visas.  Just to clarify one point though:  The initial 21 one day stay is visa free correct?  I'm a little confused as the Ph Aust embassy site says Australians can enter without a visa for 21 days but I see you guys discussing initial visa applications or is that just for the first up 59 day visa?

This is all great information guys, my planned moved has just come forward a bit :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:30:32 PM by BrettGC »
CPO RAN, Retired.  The "other" Aussie Brett :)

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • A happy retired Aussie living a relaxing lifestyle
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 12:25:08 PM »
Mate, don't make the same mistake I did when I came here April 2010.  I had the 59 day visa from their consulate in Sydney b4 I came here and thought that it kicked in after the 21 day free period.  It doesn't.  Its 59 days from the day you get here, so I was fined when I went to renew it for overstaying my visa.   >:( 

If you come here for a period of less than 21 days you do not need a visa, but if you plan on staying longer than the 21 days and don't have the visa to cover the initial time they won't let you into the country as I understand it.

Also, something new is the one year multiple entry visa they offer now, mate of mine got it in Sydney last month, he is here now for three months.  However I haven't checked his passport stamp to see if he has to renew it after 59 days here.  It all gets a bit confusing.  I think on my visa I only had a 3 month window to enter the country, but could be wrong so many San Mig Lights later.  Can't check my passport now as their Bureau of Immigration has it for my latest extension and renewal of my card, pick it up tomorrow.  (with more late fees again)  :-\

Cheers
Brett.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:29:13 PM by brett4gam »
I have never seen the world brighter and less prosperous.

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 05:47:36 PM »
Brett,

Your friend had better go to Immig. and get his passport stamped.
A multiple entry visa just means he can come and go for the period of
time the visa is in force (1 year). If he is here more than 21 days at a time
he needs to get an extension or he will be fined.

BrettGC,

Go to the Phil. Embassy closest to you in Oz and get a 59 day visa straight off.
It's much cheaper to do it in Oz than come here for 21 days and then extend for 38.

Graham

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 08:51:55 PM »
My understanding of a one year multiple entry visa is that it is good for 59 days every time a person enters the Philippines during the year of the visa, please correct me if I am wrong on that.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »
The mutiple entry visas should be good for 59 days every time you enter during the validity period of the visa.  Question really is did the immigration officer stamp 59 days or 21 days.  Check passport for stay thru date.  Max is 59 days per entry with out requesting an extension.  FYI the immigration officer can deny entry even with the approved visa. >:( :'( :o

Chuck
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:50:07 PM by bigrod »
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 12:00:03 AM »
And don't wait until day 59 to get your extension.  Get it a few days early to avoid any confusion.   ;)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 09:52:56 AM »
Thanks guys for the advice, he is in Leyete at the moment, after a short txt convo he was given the 59 days on arrival.

It all gets a bit confusing, this time for my renewal I was also asked to supply information about how I am supporting myself as I have been here over 18 months now (which was easily arranged)  Its not as if I am living on welfare handouts from the Philippines Govt.  :o

Cheers
Brett
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 10:11:53 AM by brett4gam »

Offline Rob from Mel

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 02:05:28 PM »
Brett , the government is only looking for a way to TAX you ha ha , regards Robert .

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 08:19:51 AM »
Brett , the government is only looking for a way to TAX you ha ha , regards Robert .

Haha.  Thanks Rob, I should of realised that! as anything they do attracts fees and taxes.

Cheers
Brett