Author Topic: How has it changed in the Philippines in the past year  (Read 1962 times)

Offline dan tucker

How has it changed in the Philippines in the past year
« on: July 09, 2008, 02:52:29 AM »
  It has been about a year since I have been in Cagayan de Oro where my wife is from and where I will spend November 2008 to March 2009. I since that things have gotten worse over the past year.
  The exchange rate has improved for the US dollar but I understand that inflation is quite high. What does this mean? I am guessing that travel and food is higher but by how much?
  The rice shortage and the fact that the Philippines is the worlds largest importer or rice in the world can not be good. We are having to help out a little more with family expenses but that would not change if we were there.
   Would someone try to give me a feel concerning how they think things have changed.

Dan Tucker 

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
Re: How has it changed in the PIs in the past year
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 05:31:24 AM »
I run a store, food is about 50% more expensive, gas about 50%, rice is about 100%. Beer has gone up about 20%, public transport about 20%.
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline dan tucker

Re: How has it changed in the PIs in the past year
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 10:39:42 AM »
 That is exactly what I needed. Thank you.

Re: How has it changed in the Philippines in the past year
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 02:47:23 PM »
I run a store, food is about 50% more expensive, gas about 50%, rice is about 100%. Beer has gone up about 20%, public transport about 20%.

Wayne, I must admit that I was initially a little surprised at the figures you quoted, but after speaking to my better half, she who spends all the money  ;D, she agreed with them. Frightening! Perhaps when they start extracting oil from around Palawan things will improve.

Colin

Offline dan tucker

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 10:55:27 PM »
Collin,
    Thank you. I am guessing that the inflation rate might very from one part of the Philippines to another. Manila being higher than Cagayan de Oro where I will be from November to next March.
    My wife and I own a house there so there is no rent, however,  I am expecting that I will spend at least 20% more than a year ago ,when I were there last.

Dan Tucker

Offline Brad3864

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 10:15:32 AM »
Dan
To ride around Carmen Market and see 300 people in line to buy government rice is sad. The price of Super Premium is now 62p. I do not know how some afford to drive the 4X4s. It cost 3000p to fill my truck this week. Food has gone from about 5000p when we shop to 8000p. The loss in the dollar has hurt but inflation has hurt as much. Hope you are well.
Brad
Brad Hughes
Nam Vet happily living in
Cagayan de oro, Philippines