Author Topic: Sponsoring a team  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Ted

Sponsoring a team
« on: January 07, 2008, 08:07:11 AM »
Sponsoring a local sports team is one of the best ways to meet people, get involved in the community and improve your image.

I hired a bunch of local guys, mostly fishermen and farmers to build my house in a small town in Negros.  We usually ended the day playing some 1 on 1 or 3 on 3.  My foreman was a competitive guy and figured that he could get a winning team together if I would sponsor the team.
I sponsored a junior team and an over 40 team where I could play.  It was one of the best things that I could have done.  We took 2nd and 3rd in the barangay playoffs. 

These are not just sporting events.  It’s a chance for people to show who they are and what they are made of.  We always had water, a first aid kit and ice. We bought uniforms (jerseys only) and a game ball. I didn’t coach or interfere with the decisions.

Part of my motivation was to counter an image of me that was being spread by the local mayor.  They had sent the police calling on numerous occasions and encouraged people to put me in the police blotter. I had 47 police blotter entries by the end of the year.  I countered that by naming our team “Blotter Boys” and “Naughty Boyz”.  We were half way into the season when they caught on and tried to change our name to “beach boys”.  Sorry, we already paid our registration and bought our jerseys.

It wasn’t unusual to have to ice down an ankle or bandage an injury, whether it was our team or not.  It was really appreciated. We played clean and took our foul calls as they came.  (The municipality hired the refs). It was the first year that a fight didn’t break out at the end of the season dance.

I met people from the town that had only seen me in passing or had formed an opinion of me based on rumor.  We changed a lot of opinions about the “rich foreigner”.  I don’t think I’ll ever be one of the locals but at least they don’t call me “hey Joe” anymore. 

We had a big following. Part of the reason was that I paid about 200 pesos for the next 40 of our fans to get in “free”.  Our jerseys were all over town.
The end of the season party was the event of the year for our players, at least those who could still remember it.

The mayor changed the rules in our small backwater town so no more foreigners can play.  It was fun while it lasted.

Ted

[attachment deleted by admin]

Re: Sponsoring a team
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 08:43:46 AM »
Ted,

Welcome to the forum. Great story. A friend of mine does the same thing with local football & basketball. Great for the community spirit & as you say, helps us foreigners be a part of it.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Sponsoring a team
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 03:59:59 AM »
Great post Ted and welcome to the group!

What a story!  I loved the way you played off the mayor.  \"Blotter Boyz\",  what a great name!  Cool pic, too, bro!

I wish you all the luck in your next venture.  I feel it safe to say this won\'t be the last we hear from fish ako?  Keep up the good life, man!  You\'re my hero of the week!

Jack

[attachment deleted by admin]
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH