Author Topic: Swearing  (Read 7470 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Swearing
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 06:26:27 AM »
When I worked with some Philipinas in the US they referred to the boss who was particularly hated as a brooha...

Glo says it\'s something similar to swangi, or witch.   ???
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 03:10:13 AM »
When I worked with some Philipinas in the US they referred to the boss who was particularly hated as a brooha...

Glo says it\'s something similar to swangi, or witch.   ???

It is bruha meaning witch  ;D.

Offline mmason01

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 05:53:04 AM »
I spent ten years in Germany, living in a small village where I was the only American/foreigner.  I never had a problem with cursing, because I chose not to.  Granted, there were occasions where one would have fit well.   

In fact, though I spoke German daily, I only knew one curse word.

To me, sticking to language I would use in front of the elders in my family is best.

m mason
In search of \"MU\"

Offline swaussie

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 07:52:27 PM »
I have lived half my life in Sweden and the other half in Australia,I don\'t

understand why people get so upset about swearing.

For me its part of language and with workmates and friends(of course always being polite with strangers,women and children)we always have a good time using very colorful language,to us it is not what you say that is offensive
its how you say it.

From my experience with my family and friends in philippines so far it is all the same.

And if you get it wrong ,same everywhere,you can always apologise
like to know everything about life on the islands

Offline TCummings8

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 06:45:42 AM »
I guess you could say I\'m starting to mellow in my old age. I look upon what is going on in society as a whole and believe that if the mainstream wants to incorporate obscentities into every day language, then I\'m quite content not to be part of that mainstream society. I guess I have just come to believe  \"excessive vulgarity is just an indication of a bankrupt vocabulary\" not a necessary means of expression.
Bear
Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do.

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 10:08:10 AM »
RP Bear wrote;
I guess I have just come to believe  \"excessive vulgarity is just an indication of a bankrupt vocabulary\" not a necessary means of expression.

I quite agree.  There are other many fine, acceptable words that one can utilize instead of swear words.

I have never sworn much in my life.  Sure, if I become too heated   >:( I might let fly with a word or two or perhaps even when telling an off color joke, which is rare.  My dear old father never swore much and particularly didn\'t like it done around me when I was just a lad.  My mother?  Different story.  Imagine a cross between a truck driver and a drunken sailor.   ???  The woman constantly swore and still does to this day.   :-[   Realizing that words are just words the one thing I find most offensive is when people use the Lord\'s name in vain.  That to me is by far the worst.  Ya don\'t mess with God.  But hey, that\'s just me.

Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 11:55:40 AM »
RP Bear wrote;
I guess I have just come to believe  \"excessive vulgarity is just an indication of a bankrupt vocabulary\" not a necessary means of expression.

I quite agree.  There are other many fine, acceptable words that one can utilize instead of swear words.

I have never sworn much in my life.  Sure, if I become too heated   >:( I might let fly with a word or two or perhaps even when telling an off color joke, which is rare.  My dear old father never swore much and particularly didn\'t like it done around me when I was just a lad.  My mother?  Different story.  Imagine a cross between a truck driver and a drunken sailor.   ???  The woman constantly swore and still does to this day.   :-[   Realizing that words are just words the one thing I find most offensive is when people use the Lord\'s name in vain.  That to me is by far the worst.  Ya don\'t mess with God.  But hey, that\'s just me.

You are not alone in that belief my friend. Every time I hear the Lords name in vein or used as cuss words I cringe and have to control my instincts to go over and back hand them. I went through a period in my life where I did that also, but as I got older and closer to the Lord, I became more and more offended by it. My parents told me when I was a little boy that those who use bad language all the time had low education or intelligence. As I became older, I got to understand what they meant.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline John Amend-All

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 01:17:03 PM »
Every time I hear the Lords name in vein...

Is that mainline Christianity?

John

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 02:01:04 PM »
You are not alone in that belief my friend. Every time I hear the Lords name in vein or used as cuss words I cringe and have to control my instincts to go over and back hand them. I went through a period in my life where I did that also, but as I got older and closer to the Lord, I became more and more offended by it.

But they are only words, no better or worse than any other, so why get excited about them. They may have a special meaning to you but not to the person saying them. Live and let live. If you go round back handing people who do not share your opinions, then you have a problem. Anyway, I thought we were going to leave religion out of this forum.

Colin

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 02:30:34 PM »
Guide note:- Let\'s get back on topic please ::)

The point of this thread is swearing in Tagalog but other Philippine languages & use in RP are also on topic.

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 03:56:55 AM »
I\'m not into blasphemous language either.  But we like it or not they do exist, I swear  ;D  :D  :).

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 10:36:47 AM »
Steve, I think you\'re in Bacolod where they speak Illongo so I don\'t know if this happens to you or not.  I don\'t know if it happens with Tagalog speakers or not either.  But in Bisaya I often hear my asawa utter words such as \"Sus\" when she seems to be swearing.  I have asked if her if that refers to Jesus or not and she says no but I often wonder.  Do you know Pinoy/Pinay\'s that also use such exclamations?

Colin, that\'s why I said this;
But hey, that\'s just me.
I don\'t expect everyone to agree with me or think or believe the same as I do.  So, don\'t worry, I won\'t be on your doorstep some Sunday morning with copies of religious tracts to foist upon you.   ;D  ;D  ;D

Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 10:58:03 AM »
Steve, I think you\'re in Bacolod where they speak Illongo so I don\'t know if this happens to you or not.  I don\'t know if it happens with Tagalog speakers or not either.  But in Bisaya I often hear my asawa utter words such as \"Sus\" when she seems to be swearing.  I have asked if her if that refers to Jesus or not and she says no but I often wonder.  Do you know Pinoy/Pinay\'s that also use such exclamations?

I don\'t expect everyone to agree with me or think or believe the same as I do.  So, don\'t worry, I won\'t be on your doorstep some Sunday morning with copies of religious tracts to foist upon you.   ;D  ;D  ;D

Greg,

In your Asawa\'s mind it probably doesn\'t mean what it does, as mentioned in John\'s earlier post:

if you prefer mild blasphemy, applejuice (apo deus), \'sus maria (Jesus Maria) even \'sus marijosep.

My Asawa\'s family are heavily involved with the Church in Naga Cebu (clerks/admin etc) but regularly say \'Sus\' or \'Sus Marie Josep\'. I think it is like us saying \'Oh God\' and not meant as blasphemy but as an exclamation.

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2008, 11:01:38 AM »

My wife is a Christian, and I have heard her say \'Sus Maria\' occasionally, but if she drops something she says something which I am sure is very rude  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I don\'t worry about people trying to convert me, it is just not possible. I have had a lifetime to work out all the answers  ;)  ;D

Colin

Offline Maeara

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2008, 09:07:15 PM »
To some people, to swear is a way of life. Every time, they get angry they shout unprintable words.

But I noticed that if a person has been raised in a family that cursing is not in their house vocabulary, no matter how angry they are, they either just seal their mouths or just say: Ay , naku. This way, they do not hurt anybody and their blood pressure stay in the normal level.

There is something among Filipinos that foreigners should remember especially when they are very angry and they cannot control their mouths.

Although Filipinos are generally gentle and polite and have long patience or pasensiya, but once their \"hiya\" or ego is shattered by somebody especially when they think that they did not make any mistake, there are three things they usually do: Go  away to avoid further hurt feelings; they go away and wait for the right time to fight back; or fight back there and then, not thinking of any consequences.