Author Topic: Swearing  (Read 7488 times)

Re: Swearing
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2008, 09:38:09 PM »
To some people, to swear is a way of life. Every time, they get angry they shout unprintable words.

But I noticed that if a person has been raised in a family that cursing is not in their house vocabulary, no matter how angry they are, they either just seal their mouths or just say: Ay , naku. This way, they do not hurt anybody and their blood pressure stay in the normal level.

There is something among Filipinos that foreigners should remember especially when they are very angry and they cannot control their mouths.

Although Filipinos are generally gentle and polite and have long patience or pasensiya, but once their \"hiya\" or ego is shattered by somebody especially when they think that they did not make any mistake, there are three things they usually do: Go  away to avoid further hurt feelings; they go away and wait for the right time to fight back; or fight back there and then, not thinking of any consequences.

Maeara,

Wise words of advise that many should heed.

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2008, 07:12:11 AM »
Ah but I seldom swear about people (and when I do, it tends to be at politicians). I reserve my outbursts of colourful language for inanimate objects. Especially computers.

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2008, 08:05:37 AM »
Ah but I seldom swear about people (and when I do, it tends to be at politicians). I reserve my outbursts of colourful language for inanimate objects. Especially computers.

I also seldom swear, and although I spend a lot of time on computers, I have given up swearing at them; it doesn\'t seem to make them work any better  ;D ;D

Colin

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2008, 08:58:18 AM »
Back in the days of old, when we sold a computer system we would give away an inflatable baseball bat or inflatable oversize hammer for beating the sh** out of the monitor in a moment of frustration, maybe it would be applicable here.
Wayne  ;D ;D

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2008, 01:44:48 PM »
Or maybe an inflatable shotgun.

A 56-year-old man from the Midwestern US state of Wisconsin has been arrested after shooting his lawn mower in his garden because it would not start.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2008, 02:24:18 AM »
Or maybe an inflatable shotgun.

A 56-year-old man from the Midwestern US state of Wisconsin has been arrested after shooting his lawn mower in his garden because it would not start.

Justifiable homicide in Gray Wolf\'s \"Book of Offenses\"   ;D ;D
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2008, 03:36:42 AM »
Steve, I think you\'re in Bacolod where they speak Illongo so I don\'t know if this happens to you or not.  I don\'t know if it happens with Tagalog speakers or not either.  But in Bisaya I often hear my asawa utter words such as \"Sus\" when she seems to be swearing.  I have asked if her if that refers to Jesus or not and she says no but I often wonder.  Do you know Pinoy/Pinay\'s that also use such exclamations?

Sus
is same as Oppss!.  It\'s just an expression not swearing.

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2008, 08:44:04 AM »
Steve, I think you\'re in Bacolod where they speak Illongo so I don\'t know if this happens to you or not.  I don\'t know if it happens with Tagalog speakers or not either.  But in Bisaya I often hear my asawa utter words such as \"Sus\" when she seems to be swearing.  I have asked if her if that refers to Jesus or not and she says no but I often wonder.  Do you know Pinoy/Pinay\'s that also use such exclamations?

Sus

Marie,

Doesn\'t change the fact that it IS short for Jesus and the tone it is said gives away that it means more that oopss! I agree that I would not count it as swearing though.
::)

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2008, 02:52:07 AM »

Sus

Marie,

Doesn\'t change the fact that it IS short for Jesus and the tone it is said gives away that it means more that oopss! I agree that I would not count it as swearing though.
::)

But my Suss is really Oppss  ;D.  Instead of saying oppss I say sus! For instance, if I\'m cooking & I used the wrong ingredients, I say sus not opps.  If it means Jesus for others it is simply sus for me or sometimes I say sus uy:D

Offline Beatle

• Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2008, 06:28:33 AM »
    What is Ay Naku when translated into English?

In Tagalog its \"sus\"   in English its jees ( sounds like g\'s ) it may make the whole word shorter,  but it still like saying the whole word,  example: some have used a broken up word like sh*t, why, you knoweveryone knows what it is you are saying, its not like your saying it but then again \"not realllllllly\" because its not spelt out fully

Ray
If you treat a servant like a servant, you will lead a alone. But if you treat a servant like a leader, multitudes will follow.  Beatle

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2008, 10:12:33 AM »
Beatle wrote;
   why, you know  everyone knows what it is you are saying, its not like your saying it but then again \"not realllllllly\" because its not spelt out fully

Hahaha.   ;D  I have always wondered about that myself.  It\'s the same with friggin\' or frickin\'.   ::)  When people say that I just smile and inwardly think \"you aren\'t foolin\' me\".   ;D  Darn them anyways.   ;)

Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline BenK

• Sr Member
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2008, 01:01:33 PM »
\"Sus maria\", which I hear about every 30 seconds, is still taking the Lord\'s name in vain, as it were, no matter what anyone says about it.
That\'s not chicken.