|Peso Rate||Weather||Philippines Time||Join Our Mailing List|
- Category: Tourist Attractions
- Hits: 4434
The City of Manila has an area of 38.3 square kilometers, it is located on the west coast of the island of Luzon.
Fertile plains surround Manila, which straddles the delta of the Pasig River, a short navigable river that connects the fresh water lake of Laguna de Bay with Manila Bay and the South China Sea.
How To Get There:
Buses, jeepneys, taxis, and tricycles bound for Manila are available in many parts of Metro Manila.
Archdiocesan Museum (Intramuros Arzobispo Street)
This ecclesiastical museum was set of Manila up in 1987 by Jaime Cardinal Sin , with the theme "History of the Catholic Church in the Philippines. The collection includes ecclesiastical, liturgical, and various antique items.
Ayala Bridge (San Miguel Arroceros)
Built in 1872 by Don Jacobo Zobel de Ayala, the bridge was rebuilt in 1908, during the American Colonial Period. It became the first structural steel bridge spanning the Pasig River. The bridge links the San Miguel and Arroceros districts.
Binondo Church (Plaza Dela Basco,Binondo)
Founded by the Dominican Friars in 1596, this church is a fine example of Spanish colonial architecture. It was badly damaged during World War II and was only restored in 1972. Only the octagonal bell tower and some foundations remain of the original structure.
Carfel Seashell Museum (1786 Mabini St., Ermita)
The museum houses the most extensive collection of the rarest seashells found in this part of the world, and is the only one of its kind in the Far East. Kept inside glass panels are such rarities as Conus glorianiaris (Glory of the Sea.)
Central Bank Money Museum (Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas Complex Roxas Boulevard)
The Central Bank Money Museum was established on January 3, 1974 from the donations of illustrious ,collectors. Its aim is to trace the history of the Philippines through its currency, and to assemble a fine collection of rare and unusual coins from all over the world.
Located the northern bank of the historic Pasig River, this area is proof of the long relationship of Filipinos with the Chinese, which even antedates the arrival of the Spaniards.
Chinese Cemetery (South Gate on Aurora Avenue, Blumentritt)
Founded in the mid-1850s by Lim Ong and Tan Quien Sien (Don Carlos Palanca) to accommodate the many Chinese who were not allowed to be buried in Spanish cemeteries. The cemetery covers 54 hectares. Its sheets are lined with mausoleums which are richly adorned with marble and wrought iron, and some with stained glass windows. One building houses the ashes of the cremated on two floors and on the third, the bones of those who will return to mainland China. The poor are buried in terraces to the left of the Buddhist Temple.
De La Salle University Art Gallery (2411 Taft Avenue)
Exhibits include paintings done by Filipino artists.
Ermita Church (Ermita)
The patroness of this church, which was founded in 1591, by the Spaniards is Nuestra Senora de Guia, whose image was dredged up in a fisherman’s net about 400 years ago.
Ermita District (Ermita)
This area was a fishing village known as Lagyo prior to the arrival of the Spaniards. People started calling it "La Ermita" when a Mexican hermit arrived in the place and lived in the chapel built there for Nuestra Senora de Guia. When the Spaniards moved out of Intramuros, they integrated with the Indios in Ermita, which then became a fashionable residential area. Today, Ermita is the heart of the tourist belt area, with countless restaurants, bars, clubs, handicraft stores, and art galleries.
Fort Santiago (Intramuros)
The fort guards the northwestern entrance to Intramuros. It was built over a 150-year period starting in 1571, over the ashes of a wooden fort built by Rajah Sulayman, the last Filipino ruler before the coming of the Spaniards. The fort served as Spain s major stronghold in the islands. It looks out to the sea, its canons ready to ward off pirates and invaders. Fort Santiago is now also known as the "Shrine of Freedom," in memory of the heroic Filipinos imprisoned and killed here during the Spanish and Japanese eras. Partly rebuilt from the ruins of World War II, it is now a park and promenade housing a resident theater company (PETA) which uses ramparts, old garrison and small chapel to stage both traditional and modern plays.
Intramuros has existed for over 400 years. It was established by the Spanish colonizers as their bastion in the Far East. Its walls enclose the original city of Manila. Today, Intramuros has become a showcase of Philippine history and culture. Inside the walls are colonial churches, ramparts, dungeons, and plazas.
Liwasang Bonifacio (Plaza Lawton)
A park dedicated to Andres Bonifacio, leader of the Philippine Revolution of 1896 who, unlike Rizal, advocated armed revolution against Spain. Within the Liwasang Bonifacio is the huge Central Fountain Park of Manila, which was inaugurated in December 1994. This area is often used as a venue for mass political rallies.
Mabini Shrine (Pandacan)
Apolinario Mabini, the intellectual leader of the Philippine Revolution, lived in this house as a law student. During the American Occupation, it became the intellectual headquarters of the first Philippine Republic. The house itself is made of bamboo and nipa, a typical lower middle-class house during the turn of the century.
Malate Church (Malate, Manila)
Built during the second half of the 18th century, this unique church of Moslembaroque architecture is considered one of the oldest churches outside the walled city. It was founded by the Augustinian friars as a simple stone church under the patronage of Nuestra Senora de los Remedios.
Manila Bay (Manila)
Considered the finest harbor in the Far East, and the site of the infamous "Mock Battle" between the Americans and the Spaniards in 1898. Many historians believe that the Manila Acapulco Galleon Trade thrived because of the strategic location and deep harbor of the hay. Manila Bay is also the perfect site from which to view what many claim to be the most beautiful sunsets in the world.
Manila Cathedral (Plaza Roma, Intramuros -across the Palacio Del Gobernador)
The Cathedral is the seat of the Catholic Archdiocese of Manila. The present structure, which is actually the sixth to be built on the site, incorporates the stone carvings and rosette windows of the original. Stained- glass windows depicting the Christianization of the Philippines and mosaic artwork decorate the walls.
Museo Pambata (Children's Museum, Roxas Blvd., cor T.M. Kalaw Street)
The museum is composed of six theme rooms, namely: Kalikasan (Environment), Roxas Blvd., cor. Maynila Noon (Old Manila), Tuklas Kalaw (Science), Paglaki Ko (Career Option), Katawan Ko (Body Works), and Bata sa Mundo (Children in the Global Village). Aside from housing the works of Filipino artists, Museo Pambata is also a venue for programs and activities for children.
Paco Church (Paco, Manila)
Paco's Saint Pancratius Chapel is the site of many quiet weddings. The area around it was declared a national park in 1966.
Paco Park and Cemetery (Paco)
The cemetery was originally surrounded by a massive circular wall within which victims of the cholera epidemic were interred for the price of P20.00 for three years, renewable. When all niches were filled, remains of occupants whose leases had expired were transferred to the ossorio to allow for new burials. The last interment was in 1913. Remains of Spanish governors and of the elite were laid to rest in the Chapel of St. Pancratius. Today, only the remains of Governor-General Ramon Solano are still in the chapel. In 1966, the cemetery was declared a National Park which makes it a charming spot ideal for quiet promenades.
Palacio Del Gobernador (Plaza Roma Gen. Luna St.)
Formerly the home of, structure was expropriated and subsequently made the official residence and Intramuros office of the Spanish governor-generals in 1654 until an earthquake brought it down in 1863. Italy in ruins for almost a century until the Land Bank of the Philippines built an eight-storey building on the site in 1978. The office of the Intramuros Administration is presently housed there.
Quiapo Church (Plaza Miranda, Quiapo)
Records reveal that the district of Quiapo and its church were founded in 1586. The church was originally constructed of bamboo and nipa by Franciscan missionaries headed by Pedro Bautista. A stone reconstruction of the church followed in 1899 but was burned down in 1929. The present structure was built over a period of three decades from the 1930s to the 1960s.
Rizal Monument (Rizal Park)
The 50-foot-high monument was built in the early 1900s with the help of American Governor-General William Howard Taft. The statue of Rizal was made in Switzerland in 1912 under the supervision of Richard Kissling. It now stands on a rhombic base of solid granite block with an obelisk.
Rizal Park (Rizal Park, Manila)
The 58-hectare park is considered one of the largest in Southeast Asia. It runs from Taft Avenue up to the Manila Bay. It was known as Bagumbayan Field during the Spanish era also called "Luneta, "which means "Little Moon."For 74 years, it was used by Spaniards the as an execution ground for Filipino rebels and mutineers. In 1902, Daniel Burnham, the famous architect and city planner, chose Bagumbayan as the site of proposed American government center. He designed a U-shaped buildings, but only three were constructed. These are the Executive House, the Department of Tourism building, and the Department of Finance building. The park is now named "Rizal National Park" in honor of the Philippine national hero, Dr. Jose Protacio Rizal, who was executed there in 1896.
Rizal Shrine Fort (Santiago, Intramuros)
The shrine houses items used by the national hero Jose Rizal when he was imprisoned here a few days before his execution on December 30, 1896. Among the objects exhibited are various books and manuscripts, sculptures, sketches, paintings, souvenirs acquired during his trips abroad, and a collection of colonialstyle furniture from his home in Calamba, Laguna.
San Agustin Church (General Luna St. cor. Real St. Intramuros)
San Agustin is the oldest stone church in Metro Manila, dating back to 1571. It has withstood the ravages of time, natural catastrophes and wars. It intricately carved doors open to reveal a baroque pulpit, molave choir stalls and an 18th-century pipe organ.
Santa Ana Church (Santa Ana)
The church was founded by the Franciscan missionaries in 1578. The present structure was built in 1720
University of Sto. Tomas Museum of Arts and Sciences (UST Main Building Espana)
This private museum is considered the largest and most extensive in the Far East. It has 1,500,000 items in its collection which includes zoological and botanical specimens and ecclesiastical and liturgical items.
Dancing Fountain (Plaza Lawton (back of Bonifacio Monument)
The Dancing Fountain is highlighted by colored lights.
Museum of the Filipino People (Former Finance Bldg., Rizal Park)
The museum houses a collection of artifacts taken from a San Diego cargo ship dating back to 1590. The museum likewise showcases interesting porcelain items excavated from various archeological sites.