Itís Your Money > Investment Vehicles

Philippine stock

<< < (3/3)

falcon:

--- Quote from: rob_45ca on February 09, 2008, 11:30:44 AM ---I am just setting up my account with one of the online brokers there, so I will have to let you know how thing go.

--- End quote ---

So which broker did you use and how is it going?† I\'ve never met anyone game enough to try PSE online.† I see BPI offers online brokerage but no idea how good it is.

rob_45ca:
Hard to say how it is going yet. It ended up taking a long time to just set up the account. I just liked JFC and after seeing him on TV I wanted to try a small investment in it. I will post more as time goes on.

Rob

clee353:
I\'ve actually opened an account with Citisec Online and have had a great experience so far. Their daily market comments are much better than what you would get reading the Inquirer, and they have a constant stream of equity reports.

Many of their analysts are CFAs (Chartered Financial Analysts) - the gold standard for investment analysis worldwide. Which, while not vouching for the money-making ability of each analyst [you do have to do your homework as well], should say something for the thoroughness of the analysis.

Also, through a fortuitous coincidence, I was able to have lunch with the Founder/Chairman Edward Lee, who explained his dream of bringing brokerage services to the masses. They have a pretty good, free, monthly community service where they explain the basics of equity investments. Hear they are thinking of bringing these outreach programs to the Visayas.

Carolyn353

clee353:
Oh, one more thing: not to sound like a shill for Citisec online (disclosure: i have no connection with them aside from being a client) - because I\'m not, but it is comforting for me to see the principals of the company declare themselves: https://www.citiseconline.com/Final2/B_home_new/HOME_InvestorRelations.asp

I posted another reply to a different thread on The Legacy Group. Not too comforting to note \'no one\' is \'in charge\': http://www.legacy.com.ph/thelegacy.html

Carolyn353

samatm:

--- Quote from: c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n on February 20, 2008, 01:50:39 AM ---
--- Quote from: steveinvisayas on February 16, 2008, 01:02:48 AM ---.............................. Yes we US expats get no tax break living overseas unlike you folks, sadly. ............................
Steve

--- End quote ---

You need to do some digging in the IRS code Steve......
US used to exempt up to first $85,000 of overseas earned income (this varied from year to year it was around $80-85,000 as I recall, when I was working in Bahamas \'81 & Bermuda \'85-86)

Wasn\'t seeing any capital gains at the time so don\'t know how/where that applies when filing when living outside US

--- End quote ---

Yes, but you must pass the physical presenence test of being outside the US for not less than 335 days in a calendar year in order to claim that exemption.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version