Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: phone calls to the states  (Read 19448 times)

Offline clarkee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Air Reserve Technician
phone calls to the states
« on: February 18, 2019, 05:21:57 PM »
What method of service do you expats use to make calls back to the states?  I know there's magic jack but I'm not too familiar with this method.  Any other suggestions?

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: phone calls to the states
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 07:33:16 PM »
If you have any kind of internet speed Skype works great. I don't use the video part just calling. I put $20 credit and it last forever.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 07:36:00 PM »
I don't make alot of calls to the U.S., but when I have to, I use Skype on my desk top or cellphone with my own assigned U.S. phone #, which I pay a small amount and calls are pennies on the dollar, ie $20 would last quite a while. Also all 1-800 toll numbers are free. Just check out their website and read all about their service. I had Magic Jack years ago, but it stop working properly after a few years on my desk top.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline clarkee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 09:37:52 PM »
Thank you all for the info!

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 06:01:54 AM »
Thank you all for the info!

With Skype you can get a stateside phone number tethered to your Philippine receiving device. Either pc or smart phone.

That comes in handy when online forms or customer service reps can't deal with oconus phone numbers.

Hope this helps

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 09:30:12 AM »
If you have any smartphone and wifi connection, there is always the services out there like Viber.  Free as can be.  The issue with these services is both you, and the person you are calling need to have the app downloaded.  Magicjack allows you to both have a landline with a US phone number as well as their app that acts like a regular phone in the US also. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 10:39:25 AM »
Skype works well.  I use the local number in the US for ppl and places that need or want to call a local number.  It rings right through to me in the phills or to the builtin voice mail.  I use the same to call others in states.  It is usually pretty good,  at least as good as my mobil was when in the states.  There are some small fees/subscriptions to pay to get all those futures.

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 02:32:27 PM »
I also use Skype on my smartphone.  After downloading the app I loaded up 10 USD in credits (I think that is the minimum you can load) and started making calls.  Skype to Skype calling is free.  To the U.S. 800 numbers are free.  According to the article in the following link connection charges for calls to the U.S.: < 5 cents initial connection + 2.3 cents per minute.  https://www.lifewire.com/what-are-skype-connection-fees-3426578

I did not pay to get a U.S. phone # because I didn't need one.

You need an internet connection.

Charges to connect to landlines or cellphones are based on the place you call to.  (connection charges)

Where you call from does not affect the charges.  (So the service travels as long as you have an internet connection.)

If you are going to make regular calls to the U.S., they have monthly subscriptions which could end up being cheaper.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 02:42:57 PM by suzukig1 »

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 04:35:28 PM »
I use the same phone I had in the USA, with the same phone number.  I have t mobile and they have an international plan  I pay a fixed price and as long as I have internet connection I can make and receive unlimited calls.   Dial direct, and the connection is great.  In addition, I can connect to the local networks and use the internet, again, at no additional charge. 

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 05:52:14 AM »
I was just wondering this myself in preparation for a possible visit later this year. Now I have the answer with Skype.

Thanks guys!
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline User444

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 12:09:00 AM »
I registered on Google Voice's website for a free US number and then I can call or text from that or I use Gmail to make free calls.
Never argue with an idiot who provides false information. First, they will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 06:27:45 AM »
Be carefull what animation theme background you use, it can lockup your screen, unless you remove and reinstall your cellphone's battery. Other than that the Google voice app is pretty neat with a alot of features, but I'm not using the app, my old Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has enough features I can handle. Some Play Store apps can hijack your phone settings and very difficult to reset after hours of trying, but it can be done. Anyway, I don't do alot of adding new apps to my cellphone anymore, because I have so many apps on my phone already. I actually uninstall alot of apps I really don't use on a daily basis, plus apps contains popup nuisance commercials. Downsizing my apps helps to keep the clutter down and save storage space for more important stuff. Eventually I want a new, bigger and faster phone.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 03:19:47 PM »
Orrrr...
You just go RUFUS style!
Leave a message on your answering machine.

"Hi, I'm in the Philippines and you are not.
F U - leave a message and I'll call you when I get back!"
 :D :D :D :D :D
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 03:34:18 PM »
On a serious note...

I use TextFree app on my mobile by Pringer.
It gives a US number to text to and works as long as you have internet connection, and is free.
You can also pick your number (within unused selections).
I think you can make short calls for free as well but can purchase more talk time if needed, but I never had the occasion to call anyone.
They can text me!!!

(The answering machine message is real BTW.   ;))
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline clarkee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 06:38:19 AM »
Everyone, thanks for the info!  By this thread it would seem the majority use Skype.  I've never used Skype because I never needed to.  If I live or visit the Philippines I need the cheapest way to call back to the states for emergencies, banking issues (even though Navy Federal has a 1-888 #) or making calls to friends and relatives.