Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Cebu mayor wants to limit tall buildings  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Cebu mayor wants to limit tall buildings
« on: January 14, 2018, 07:43:22 PM »
Since IMO they are over building Cebu City with too many, way too tall condos, causing too much traffic, I think it is a great idea for the  mayor to reevaluate this situation, at least until the roads are expanded and fire equipment and training can be supplied to the cities fire departments and the sprinkler systems of the existing tall buildings can be checked to see that they all function properly.
CEBU City Mayor Tomas Osmeña admitted on Saturday that he was not sure how to implement his plan to limit the height of buildings in Cebu City.
But, he said he had to start somewhere.

“I don’t know when or how we will come to a conclusion, but we’re going to put these highrise buildings on hold,” Osmeña said.
READ MORE
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Cebu mayor wants to limit tall buildings
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 02:49:21 AM »
The wisdom of highrise condos in a country that is seismically active is questionable to start with. Add to that poor supervision during construction and either improper or non-existent sprinkler systems and you have a disaster waiting to happen. I agree with Mayor Osmena
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Bisaya gyud

Re: Cebu mayor wants to limit tall buildings
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 01:25:23 AM »
Interesting article in the Cebu SunStar talks about a possible ulterior motive for the proposed ban:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/opinion/2018/01/16/seares-tall-buildings-ban-unstated-agenda-584123
Visayas * Cebu * Leyte