Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Philippines Social Security System  (Read 28671 times)

Offline rdjlazo@yahoo.com

• Sr Member
Re: Philippines Social Security System
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 01:34:03 AM »
Lunkan, You got it right. Involve the Barangay in clients and contracts. Let the agreement
be signed with Barangay officials as witnesses so they will know you are transparent.
Stay in touch with the barangay people. You can tell if you are in a dangerous place. Not all towns and
barangays are infested with evil people. Get involved in the community
 so you will know what\'s going on. Don\'t be arrogant and mayabang.
Good luck to you,
Rudy

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2012, 09:17:35 AM »
Of course much better if I can keep a low profile, perhaps even manage to make the neighbourhood believing I don\'t have money left, just REPRESENTING someone abroad, even if I use my own money. Best I guess will be if I will do voluntary work for an existing such aid Micro loan organisation, because then me just representing would be true  :)

Setting yourself up to become the next kidnap for ransom victim.   :P

I don\'t believe that people realise just how important it is to keep a very low profile as a foreigner. Don\'t get involved in anything outside of the immediate family except perhaps for charity work. Even then you can come to the attention of the wrong people. People here are often desperate for money to feed their families, and ALL foreigners are seen as rich.

Offline Lunkan

• Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 03:27:14 PM »
Of course much better if I can keep a low profile, perhaps even manage to make the neighbourhood believing I don\'t have money left, just REPRESENTING someone abroad, even if I use my own money. Best I guess will be if I will do voluntary work for an existing such aid Micro loan organisation, because then me just representing would be true  :)

Setting yourself up to become the next kidnap for ransom victim.   :P
Isn\'t it better they chose other than me, if I have no money left?  :)

---
>Colin   
Yes, I asked about that risk in an own topic a while ago.
But if I do something good (which can be voluntary work too) for NOT only the family, but for the village, then I think/hope  :)   village people can be interested in protecting me.

---
>rdjlazo
Yes, something like that. If I settle down in Bohol, in that village has \"mother-in-law-to-be\" been treasurer for that barangar, so although they don\'t belong to the powerful families, I suppose they have some contacts.

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2012, 02:35:36 PM »
I\'m confused as to why you want to help all the poor people, yet you don\'t seem to be very well off yourself.  They say that charity begins at home, don\'t build a chair with only 3 legs. 

There is a reason why those people are poor.  Many times it is due to bad habits, other times is because they accept the corruption. The poor brother in law in my filipino family, has a gambling and drinking problem.  He is not a hard worker.  The rest of the family are doctors, lawyers, engineers, nurses cause they worked for it. Some of them make a lot more than I do, and I make $43.75 a hour.

Offline Ricky A

• Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2012, 05:42:49 PM »
brother in law in my filipino family, has a gambling and drinking problem.  He is not a hard worker. 

hmm...thats odd.. ::)

ricky
B E   O F   S I N G L E    A I M  ;   H A V E   A   L E G I T I M A T E    A N D    U S E F U L  
P U R P O S E   A N D   D E V O T E   Y O U R S E L F   U N R E S E R V E D L Y   T O   I T

Offline Lunkan

• Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2012, 08:08:51 PM »
I\'m confused as to why you want to help all the poor people, yet you don\'t seem to be very well off yourself.  They say that charity begins at home, don\'t build a chair with only 3 legs. 

There is a reason why those people are poor.  Many times it is due to bad habits, other times is because they accept the corruption. The poor brother in law in my Filipino family, has a gambling and drinking problem.  He is not a hard worker.  The rest of the family are doctors, lawyers, engineers, nurses cause they worked for it. Some of them make a lot more than I do, and I make $43.75 a hour.
Well. I don\'t want to help all, but them who do their best themselves. It\'s very hard for poor people to get out of poverty even if they work very hard, specially if they have children. As a rich (American ?) said \"It\'s hardest to earn the first million.\"  :)

Much can be done with only one functioning leg too  :)

I have allways tried to be kind to kind people and evil to evil people  :)   much voluntary work done mainly as youth leader, but some other too.
/Youth leader in some sports.
I started when I started school, e g arrange soccer matches between school classes.
From the beginning it was only for fun. Later it became a combination of fun and assisting kids.
/Help-to-self-help.
I\'m NOT interested in helping people, who don\'t do what they can themselves. But when there are some bad apples among the good ones, then it can be hard to avoid assisting the bad ones some too  :)  But I find that\'s a problem.
Almost 20 years ago I started a small aid organisation, which mainly helped Eastern Europe after the Berlin wall fell,
helping some people there helping themselves by give them some equipment plus some knowledge. Mainly in Estonia. But there have been some other projects too e g spread how to become stronger mentally.
BEEP insurance people didn\'t pay me, when my knee broke, because I had to good mood !!! After only a PHONE conversation they made the conclusion \"I hear you don\'t have any big problem\"    ;D
/But concerning give some help to the closest village, it\'s partly a selfish reason, to make some bigger chance they will like me   ;D    I hope they will even want to protect me if needed, if not else because it can be good for them to keep me, so I can go on giving them some continuous assistance  :)

But concerning aid to individs I will put up demands too, although I know it can be hard to keep assistance away from an individ, if I assist relatives to him/her.
E g can do as someone said - if they ask for money, then offer them some small work they can get pay for.
But it\'s hard to judge when it\'s illness/injury involved, when it isn\'t obvious how ill they are.
(\"Mine\" says one of her brothers is lazy, but I believe it\'s more a question of lacking head suiting for studying :) which his siblings have. He didn\'t try to get any higher education, but he work full time and make a living for his wife and kids, which I count as trying.)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2012, 03:20:52 AM »

Do you really think that they will take your word that you have no meny left?   ???
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Lunkan

• Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2012, 10:15:09 PM »

Do you really think that they will take your word that you have no meny left?   ???

No, not realy, just joked, but having an uggly house and go dressed similar to farmers, perhaps can fool some  :)

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 05:18:31 PM »

/But concerning give some help to the closest village, it\'s partly a selfish reason, to make some bigger chance they will like me   ;D    I hope they will even want to protect me if needed, if not else because it can be good for them to keep me, so I can go on giving them some continuous assistance  :)

It doesn\'t really work like that in the Philippines.  You will have plenty of friends until you stop buying beer.  Giving aid and charity, without having your own house in order or expecting to buy loyalty does not work like that.  

It is on the old Spanish system.  If you are the Don then you are the rich guy and everyone will act nice to you, never mind what they really think.  You get to be the Don, by marrying the prettiest, smartest woman in town from the top family and coming with millions of dollars/euros to buy land and make serious business.

If you can\'t afford to be the Don, but act like one, then the locals will view you as gullible and take everything you have.  

People who emigrate to Phil\'s can be divided into these 4 groups.

1 grizzled pensioner
2 pioneer/entrepreneur (most Koreans are in this category)
3 someone who works for a multinational
4 the missionary/aid worker.

If you settle in the Muslem area it is a different game altogether, then the locals will view you as the dhimmi, and any money they can get out of you is justified, they will have not to return the favor cause under Islamic sharia you are paying the jizya tax.

Offline Lunkan

• Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2012, 01:56:52 AM »
OK. Mostly i have managed to read people\'s - not fake -  like-dislike level (if they don\'t have glasses) but I DON\'T expect I can read if they will protect me, because then there are more factors involved than liking,
but I HOPE they get more interested, if they feel it can be good for themselves to keep me alive  :)

I don\'t plan to use any money on assisting the village, before I have settled down with a house,  so I know if I have any money left  :)

PERHAPS I will pay beer ONCE, or if I want their attention sometime. Beer is NOT a Help-to-self-help cost...   ;D

I don\'t want to become such a Don anyway. I will dress up, when I go to meet officials, but I will try hard to AVOID to get such a Don relation to the poor people e g by mostly dress similar to as poor farmers do  :)

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 10:28:49 AM »
Lunkan,

You again are not listening to what people tell you.
It doesn\'t matter if you even dress in rags,

you are \"white\"!!!!!!!

Therefore you are \"rich\"!!!!!!!

I have a very small understated house here in Cagayan de Oro (Mindanao) My choice.
Yet I get people asking me for money all the time. I once told
the next door neighbour that \"I\'m only on a pension, I have no money to splash around,
do you think I would be living in such a small house if I had money???\"

His reply..................Said in a disbelieving tone.......... \"maybe\".

Not one Filipino who lives around me believes that I have no money.
It is perceived that I do because I have a steady income, I dress in clean clothes, not expensive.
My wife dresses nicely, not expensively. We own a 10 year old car. My reasoning, like other expats here,
also was to live quietly and unobtrusively, out of the limelight, so to speak.

Doesn\'t work............I\'m \"white\" therefore I\'m rich!!

No matter how you yourself downplay your life, you will \"always\" be considered \"rich\"
Take that as Gospel.

I applaud your desire to help your neighbours, very Christian of you...........but..........
They will take advantage of you every chance they get. They will have no interest in \"protecting\" you.
I have never yet met a Filipino/a, with the exception of my wife, who thinks of saving for the future.
It is unfortunate that they generally only care about today, not tomorrow.
I suspect there are others who will have a different point of view.
These are just my thoughts and observations.

Graham

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 10:46:45 AM »
The \"live for today\" thinking is very prevalent, especially among the poor. I suppose it is because they are used to a hand-to-mouth existence and just consume what they have. People with more money tend to look longer term and invest in property so they can pass something to their children. This is my observation anyway.

Richard

Offline Lunkan

• Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 01:46:17 PM »
Lunkan,

You again are not listening to what people tell you.
You missed my smiley  :)

Haven\'t you noticed I even started a separate topic concerning how big risk it is criminals in countryside will attack me physical in my home?   
(=I EXPECT break in tries, but because of I work at home mostly, I\'m at home mostly :)   so I asked in that topic, because I wonder how big physical risk it is to be attacked at home, when they want to make break in.
But I still hope people from closest village will like me enough  :)  to not make break ins.)

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2012, 07:59:04 PM »
The \"live for today\" thinking is very prevalent, especially among the poor. I suppose it is because they are used to a hand-to-mouth existence and just consume what they have. People with more money tend to look longer term and invest in property so they can pass something to their children. This is my observation anyway.

Richard

The save for tomorrow, protestant work ethic is a very western Idea.  The norm is the opposite in the rest of the world.  One has to be very careful projecting their own goals, attitudes and aspirations on other cultures.  Instead approach them as if they are of a alien race like the klingons, or Borg.  it will serve you much better. 

For example, in Pakistan it is normal to tell someone they will kill them if they see them alone with their daughter within 15 minutes of first meeting. Even if you are just there to interact on a professional level.

In Djibouti Africa it is considered normal to drop everything, stop all work, once the Khat plane flies over the city.  The locals then make a mad dash to the store to buy a bottle of cold coke, and wait anxiously for the delivery of their favorite drug that looks like bay leaf, and they chew for hours on end, mixed with soda to make a disgusting green paste in their mouth.  They then sit most of the afternoon stoned out of their minds, occasionally committing acts of rape and violence.  All part of their day.

Make friends who share your attitudes and interests, the rest, leave alone. 

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2012, 02:11:43 AM »
The save for tomorrow, protestant work ethic is a very western Idea.  The norm is the opposite in the rest of the world.  One has to be very careful projecting their own goals, attitudes and aspirations on other cultures.  Instead approach them as if they are of a alien race like the klingons, or Borg.  it will serve you much better. 

For example, in Pakistan it is normal to tell someone they will kill them if they see them alone with their daughter within 15 minutes of first meeting. Even if you are just there to interact on a professional level.

In Djibouti Africa it is considered normal to drop everything, stop all work, once the Khat plane flies over the city.  The locals then make a mad dash to the store to buy a bottle of cold coke, and wait anxiously for the delivery of their favorite drug that looks like bay leaf, and they chew for hours on end, mixed with soda to make a disgusting green paste in their mouth.  They then sit most of the afternoon stoned out of their minds, occasionally committing acts of rape and violence.  All part of their day.

Make friends who share your attitudes and interests, the rest, leave alone. 

Amen, brother!
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH