Living in The Philippines > RA 9225, Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition

Tax Implications for dual national retiring in the Philippines

<< < (3/4) > >>

Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am:

--- Quote from: bigrod on April 21, 2017, 11:46:57 AM ---While I agree with what you are saying, the following is from taxesforexpats.com.

TAXABLE INCOME

RESIDENT CITIZENS
Resident citizens of the Philippines are taxed on all their net income derived from sources within and without the Philippines.

ALIEN INDIVIDUALS
An alien individual, whether a resident or not of the Philippines, is taxable only on income derived from sources within the Philippines. Resident aliens are taxed in the same manner as resident citizens on income sourced within the Philippines.

--- End quote ---
So, taxesforexpats.com agrees also. "When in Rome".

starrt:
Um, well, as a Canadian living full time here in the Philippines, can I add in a few comments?

Every country has different tax treaties with different countries.
In my case, I am receiving employment income from a Canadian company for work performed in Canada via internet and phone, dividends from Canadian companies, and pension income from the Canadian government.

My employment income is not taxed in Canada as I am a non resident. I pay income tax here in the Philippines to the BIR.
My dividend income is taxed before I receive the funds by the issuing companies.
My pension income is taxed by the Canadian government before I receive any funds here.

All of these situations are covered by the tax treaty between Canada and the Philippines.

Again, each country's tax treaty is different and covers different issues, and every person's situation is different and unique, so please do not take anything at face value.

Investigate, speak to the income tax departments, speak to professionals in tax, and make sure that all rules are followed.

Thank you for letting me have my say.

Thomas

Steve & Myrlita:

--- Quote from: starrt on April 21, 2017, 02:27:00 PM ---Thank you for letting me have my say.

Thomas

--- End quote ---
As long as it is respectful which BTW, you have always been, you are always welcome to have your say here.

bigrod:

--- Quote from: Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am on April 21, 2017, 01:47:31 PM ---So, taxesforexpats.com agrees also. "When in Rome".

--- End quote ---

No Art they did not agree with you completely.  You are an Alien Resident and your wife is a Resident Citizen since she has dual citizen.  So by what they say she would be taxed on income here and abroad.  Now as Starrt stated it depends on what the tax treaty between the US and Philippines reads.  There the proof is in the pudding!

Chuck

Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am:
It depends on one's particular situation and the tax treaty between two countries that have jurisdiction. That's all I'm saying and not arguing who's right or wrong here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version