Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Magic Jack Plus, the new Magic Jack  (Read 24766 times)

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Magic Jack Plus, the new Magic Jack
« on: May 10, 2014, 08:18:30 PM »
I was not sure where this topic would fit best since the new MJ does not have to use a computer except to hook it up and it saves me a ton of money on my cell phone bill because I used to go all cell phone and now have two MJ Plus units, one which I use all the time and the other as a back up and for the few times my wife might be on the Phone.

I have had Magic Jack since they first came out, I think over 7 years ago since I had a 6 year plan and renewed it and have been on the renewal for over a year now and I have always been happy with them and while the earlier one did have some issues every now and then, for personal use it was great. Now the new one is much much better, better sound, easier to use and it can be plugged into the computer or just the router, which now makes it just like a wall phone. Also anyone with the old one can now upgrade it to the new one for just the cost of the unit $49.99 and keep their MJ number and any prepaid years they still have on it.

Things I have found when plugged into the computer, the computer must have more than one GB or Ram and it works best on faster computers than on my old xp computer and another item is that your internet connection needs to be continuously over .10 upload speed and your download speed over 1.00 and works flawless if much higher on both. I will guess that the same will be true if using the plus model plugged directly into a router or split off a modem.

As for the plus, I have found that the ethernet cable that comes with the plus is cheap garbage but will work if you plug it in and forget it. This last trip I disconnected one that was working perfectly in our condo in Florida and hooked it up in Cebu and it worked for a month and then crapped out so I plugged the unit into my computer instead. Upon getting back to Florida I tried a new ethernet cable and it worked fine again, I wish I would have thought of that when we were still in Cebu. :(

When either is plugged into the computer a screen comes up with a phone book you can program or just add people as they call you to it. So the downside to the plus is that you would need a caller ID phone/memory phone for your address book or have to have an old fashioned paper phone book unless you have a great memory and can therefore remember all your contacts, I use my cell phone address book for that.

Cost of the unit which is sold in Best Buy or can be bought online at MagicJack.com is $49.99 and 5 extra years of unlimited service to the US or Canada is $100.00 and I am told a Canadian phone number would cost an extra $10 and you can now port your old phone number for a fee and a yearly charge (that part is a rip off IMO) over to a Magic Jack.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 08:24:05 PM by Lee »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Re: Magic Jack Plus, the new Magic Jack
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 02:44:58 AM »
I actually brought a MagicJack plus with me last July.  The only problem I ran into is Globe(who we use for net here in our area) does not offer(or at least they say they don't) a router/modem with a USB port on the back. So using the MagicJack plus that way is not an option for me.  So using it the same way at the original MagicJack is all I can do for now.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 03:01:30 AM »
I believe you can use an ethernet splitter or switch. Check with CDR King or a computer store to see if they sell the splitters. I know they sell switches. http://tinyurl.com/lj8ny2o
Hope that works for you although using it plugged in is good too.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 03:04:03 AM by Lee »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 08:44:27 AM »
I was wondering to,I have an old plug-in type.my question can you call the usa to a cell phone number.

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 08:58:02 AM »
I was wondering to,I have an old plug-in type.my question can you call the usa to a cell phone number.

With a Magic Jack you can call any US number or Canadian number included in the yearly cost, or in my case I renew for 5 years plus the initial year they used to give, now the new MJ only gives 6 months of calls included but US cell phones are included. You can also add money into your account for long distance calls to any other country as well and at a fairly reasonable rate.

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 09:10:45 AM »
Thanks Lee.my magic jack is the old USB type.will it work here.

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 09:15:18 AM »
Thanks Lee.my magic jack is the old USB type.will it work here.

Yes, if it is with load, so to speak, then it will work anywhere in the world on an internet connection as long as the things I wrote above are taken into account. I use mine everywhere and the only place it would not work was while on a hotel ethernet cable in Makati because the hotel blocked VOIP phones in their system so they could charge for the calls, Hotels sometimes will do that.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 10:50:30 PM »
Ok, new question.  My one year is coming up and I am going to renew it.  No problem here.  Here's the question.  I am thinking of buying  a new for this reason.  If possible, can I get a 2nd MJ and set it up with my home number and address being in the Philippines and get free calling across the Phils?  Basically, have one phone/MJ for USA calls, and one phone/mj for Phils calls? 
Maybe they are not set up for use in the Phils, I don't know, but if so, that has to work....right?

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 11:11:16 PM »
Ok, new question.  My one year is coming up and I am going to renew it.  No problem here.  Here's the question.  I am thinking of buying  a new for this reason.  If possible, can I get a 2nd MJ and set it up with my home number and address being in the Philippines and get free calling across the Phils?  Basically, have one phone/MJ for USA calls, and one phone/mj for Phils calls? 
Maybe they are not set up for use in the Phils, I don't know, but if so, that has to work....right?

You would only need only one MJ but you could use two to do it and load it with long distance money to call the Philippines even when you are in the Philippines. So no there is no way to do it for free and as far I know of there is no VOIP service that includes Philippine phone numbers but wish they would develop one since that would make it easier on my wife and I as well. When in the Philippines we now just use our Smart cell phone to make calls to landlines and cell phones when texts will not do the trick. Next year when we get back we will buy a PLDT sim card to put in one of our cell phones so we will then have a local phone number to call landlines from and to be called from landlines.

Also as for registering a MJ, as far as I can see you can only register one with a US address and then use it anywhere in the world you wish to. I set one up for a friend while in Cebu last month and when we registered it, it asked for a US address so we used my PO BOX for his MJ.

Here is the international rate chart http://www.magicjack.com/action/international?language=

So the Philippines calls cost basically $0.1450 to $0.2150 cents per minute and with one set of phone numbers as high as $0.2920 per minute. :(

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 10:21:06 AM »
Lee,
Thanks, you answered my question.  I wanted to put both of them here in the Phils.  One for local, one for US calls.  I didn't know if the Phils were set up for it yet. 
For 3 years now I have been using MJ for my phone in the US.  Since the original came out and I bought an older desktop at a yard sale just for the MJ.  Hooked it up to the USB port and always left it on.  Then when the MJP came out, I went to that and hooked it straight to my modem/router device. 
Like you, I look forward to when the Phils will work with VOIP and allow for MJ to set up here.

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 06:32:17 PM »
Just a heads up on Magic Jack, I got an email this morning telling me that rates will be going up so I thought I would pass it along to those of you who might be on the fence about getting one or renewing yours. Not a huge increase but money is money and especially when living in a fixed income.

ACT BY JUNE 15 to get this special Re-Up pricing
Upon expiration of this offer standard yearly rates will increase from $29.95 to $35 and for 5 year plans from $99.75 to $120.

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 08:48:26 PM »
JoeLP. I have old style magic jack.JoeLp you may already know this.but.if you have a Globe sim.just push *143# and send .then it will ask you to choose .choose the one for international Roaming calls Just follow the prompts.its the one for 149 pesos.that will give you any 3 numbers to the USA for 24 hours.unlimited..I use it call call the USA ,. works great.

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 02:19:29 AM »
Magic Jack just came out with a new model called Magic JackGo http://tinyurl.com/paeluhl
which just looks like they made it out of another material. I guess because of the new Go model BestBuy is blowing out the Plus model for $37.99 which seems like a great deal and those are the ones I use and both work great for us.  http://tinyurl.com/kg6vyez

They did raise the price of renewal to $35 a year or $120 for 5 years http://magicjack.com/plans.html but still inexpensive to have a US number while living anywhere in the world so as for us US or Canada people to be able to call back to the US or Canada to deal with issues and to be able to have friends and relatives call us whenever they wish to, well as long as we are awake, due to the time difference.  ;)

Offline Morocho

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 01:34:06 PM »

"...as far I know of there is no VOIP service that includes Philippine phone numbers but wish they would develop one since that would make it easier on my wife and I as well. [Quoted only in part]

Vonage has a far more expensive VoIP service costing $29.99 plus taxes, etc.. per month, but every month you get 3000 minutes of free calls to Globe phones in the Philippines, including cell phones, and free calls to over 50 countries. Calls to non-Globe numbers in the Philippines cost $0.11 per minute:

https://support.vonage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13661/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDA3NjQ4MTk0L3NpZC9YLUVOMnRfbA%3D%3D

Benjamin Franklin wrote: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Offline Splooge Magoo

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 07:57:56 PM »
Why wouldn't you use Skype or Facebook or Google to make calls for free?
Dan