Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Quote function.  (Read 9273 times)

Quote function.
« on: December 13, 2007, 04:59:01 PM »
I am having a problem with the \'quote\' function. Am I doing something wrong? I highlight the section or line I want & then click on the \'quote\' button. It then goes to the reply page but has selected the entire post, not just the highlighted piece.

Advice anyone?

Re: Quote function.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 10:51:10 PM »
Go here to read about how to use the quotes: http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php

I highlighted this line, then pushed the quote button above this Post (middle row, 2nd button from the right)

At the bottom I hit the \"Preview\" Button and see how it looks before I Post it. Let me know if this helps or hurts...

Billy

I am having a problem with the \'quote\' function. Am I doing something wrong? I highlight the section or line I want & then click on the \'quote\' button. It then goes to the reply page but has selected the entire post, not just the highlighted piece.

Advice anyone?

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 08:19:05 AM »
Billy,

I highlighted \'let me know if this helps or hurts\' from your post & hit the quote button. Below is the result. It has inserted all your post not just the bit I wanted. I have also tried using \'reply\' then selecting \'insert quote\' from the \'topic summary\' as per simplemachines site. Any idea of what is wrong? It did work on a previous post but not now. Is it something to do with your Admin function vs my user?

Go here to read about how to use the quotes: http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php

I highlighted this line, then pushed the quote button above this Post (middle row, 2nd button from the right)

At the bottom I hit the \"Preview\" Button and see how it looks before I Post it. Let me know if this helps or hurts...

Billy

Advice anyone?

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 08:24:10 AM »
Keith,

I will login with my secret user ID \"Bushrod\" the Newbie member and do more testing. Thanks for working on this with me.

Is it something to do with your Admin function vs my user?

I copied & pasted the above from your Post. Then I highlighted it and hit the \"Insert Quote\" Button.

Billy

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 04:15:28 AM »
Is there any progress of finding what is wrong with the Quote button?

Keith,

Here\'s what I discovered.  I first highlighted the above line from your recent post.  I then clicked on the reply button.  Next I pasted the above line into this new post.  I highlighted it and then clicked on the next to last icon above, which is the \"insert quote\" icon.  That subsequently makes the above line a \"quote\".  Phew!   :P  Convoluted, yes, but this is the only way I know to make it work.  If anyone has another way, by all means share your insight with Keith and me.  Hope this helps.

Dazed and confused Jack
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 04:17:57 AM »
YeyHay!!  I checked the post after I was finished and it worked!  Who says you can\'t teach an old dog new tricks!

Old Dog Jack

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 04:37:20 AM »
Another way is to Click on the \"Quote\" Button. Since the reply window is too small to work with, I then Click on \"Preview\". This opens the reply window the same size as Clicking on the \"Reply\" Button. Once you\'re there, you can delete what you don\'t want inside the Quote.

Billy

Is there any progress of finding what is wrong with the Quote button?

Keith,

Here\'s what I discovered.  I first highlighted the above line from your recent post.  I then clicked on the reply button.  Next I pasted the above line into this new post.  I highlighted it and then clicked on the next to last icon above, which is the \"insert quote\" icon.  That subsequently makes the above line a \"quote\".  Phew!   :P  Convoluted, yes, but this is the only way I know to make it work.  If anyone has another way, by all means share your insight with Keith and me.  Hope this helps.

Dazed and confused Jack

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 05:16:58 AM »
There you go!  Keith, now you have more than one way to skin that ol\' cat!

Cat Skinning Jack

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 07:01:02 AM »
I am not sure if my way is any different, but I copy the piece I want to quote, (Highlight and Ctrl+C) hit the quote icon then paste between the quote markers.

Colin

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 07:07:32 AM »
For a free Forum database, we\'ll make it work for us. If I had a server or wanted to pay to use one, I\'d use this free Forum program and make one for my family to use. They\'re scattered over the 4 corners of the world and it might make it easier to keep in touch without using Emails.

Billy

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 10:40:02 AM »
We have not heard from Joshua Yip (our database administrator) about this yet. This may have happened when he did the last upgrade.

Joshua??? yoo hoo...

:D

Billy

(Quote added by Billy)

As I said at the beginning, this DID work at the start, by highlight, then quote & you got JUST the highlighted bit. There are always ways to work round an issue but I was looking for the fault to be fixed. Remember that when the forum goes live, there will be many experienced forum users who know this function.

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 11:02:17 AM »
I can see that I need to use the Quotes in my Posts. When you look at the Posts here: \"View the most recent posts on the forum.\" the Members will have no clue what I\'m talking about unless they go direct to this Forum.

Billy

Billy & Jack,

If you use Jack\'s (phew!) way you just get the word \'qoute\' over the highlighted extract. Billy your method is the nearest with quoted from & date info above the extract. You don\'t need to do quite so much though. It is enough to - Highlight the words & click \'QUOTE\'. This opens the new window & you can then delete all that isn\'t needed. OK if only a short post but if it is a long post it is not practical.

As I said at the beginning, this DID work at the start, by highlight, then quote & you got JUST the highlighted bit. There are always ways to work round an issue but I was looking for the fault to be fixed. Remember that when the forum goes live, there will be many experienced forum users who know this function.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 11:18:36 AM »
Keith and Billy,

I see what you\'re saying now that Billy has pointed it out.  I\'ll endeavor to do it the right way from now on.

Thanks guys for teaching this old hillbilly the right way!   ;D

Jack

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 03:26:19 PM »
Hi guys,

Just been doing a bit of reading in the HELP section. It appears that I am in error (I am never wrong  ;D ) over the quote function. There are 2 ways it should be used:

1. Click the quote button to reply with the posters message.

2. Click reply then select \'insert quote\' from the relevant post in the \'Topic Summary\' below.

Both of these methods will:

1. Add the entire post framed in a purple box.

2. Note above the box the name & date of the quoted post in bold.

3. Allow you to edit the quoted post to the line, statement or phrase you wish to reference.

It seems that my belief that it worked earlier is based on the fact that at that time posts were only short (1 or 2 lines) so when quoted seemed to be selective.

To quote ( ::) ) Billy...MY BAD!

CebuLover

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 09:46:24 AM »
Just make sure the quote tags are around the exact text you wish to quote:

Code: [Select]
[quote]This is the text I wanted to quote.[/quote]
Then, simply type your reply either before, or after, the quoted text.