Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Prices They are a Changin...... And how it will affect us and those we love.  (Read 16039 times)

I\'ll tell Glo that.....

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
Just in from the BBC...

India introduces rice export ban

The Indian government has banned the export of non-basmati rice to try and control soaring domestic food costs.
The decision, one of a series of measures to curb inflation, was taken during an emergency cabinet meeting.
The price for exports of aromatic basmati rice has also been raised to $1,200 per tonne to discourage exports.
The move could have an impact on rice prices globally as the country is the third largest exporter of the grain - a staple food in many countries.

The move is the latest in a series of increases in the export price of non-basmati rice.
The price of such rice was increased from $650 to $1,000 per tonne in the month of March alone.

Global problem

The government imposed a total ban on non-basmati rice exports last October but lifted it following protests from exporters.
India is the second-largest rice producer in the world. It usually exports more than four million tonnes of rice a year.
The government also announced that it would be scrapping import duty on all crude edible oils as part of its inflation-curbing measures.
India ended its reliance on food imports in the 1970s, largely to the government\'s so-called Green Revolution.
But two years ago, it imported wheat for the first time in six years following a significant drop in its stockpiles.
The government wants to avoid a similar situation for its rice stocks.
In mid-March, in an attempt to bolster its stocks, India abolished import duties on rice.
The problem is an international one, as global rice stocks have reached a 25-year low.

Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline BenK

• Sr Member
And the fun just keeps on coming:

Black rice bugs wreak havoc on Aurora ricefields
 Farmers are now worrying about the rice black bugs that have infested 703 hectares of ricefields in six towns in Aurora province.

Reports said the rice black bugs (scotinophara coarctata) have plagued the towns of Casiguran (483 hectares of ricefields), San Luis (122 has.), Baler and Dinalugan (31 has. each), Dilasag (24 has.) and Maria Aurora (12 has.).

Farmer Pilo Diesta’s ricefield was one of those attacked by the black bugs. He said the pest cost him more than P30,000 in lost income.

“Unang beses akong walang inaning palay, wala akong naisaboy so wala kaming pagkain,” said Diesta.

(This would be the first time that I won\'t be able to get any harvest.)

The bug is about the same size as a flea and can lay up to 200 eggs. It is also attracted to light and foul smell and can grow from eight to nine millimeters.

Experts said the presence of 10 bugs in a ricefield would mean an empty harvest.

The Department of Agriculture, meanwhile, promised to install a production laboratory facility for metarhizium, an effective chemical that can get rid of the bugs.

“Request po nila ang paglalagay ng isang metarizium production lab facility ibibigay namin iyan,” said Secretary Arthur Yap.

(They requested for a metarizium production lab facility so we\'ll put that up.)

[from ABS-CBN news]
That\'s not chicken.

Offline graham

• Sr Member
In the last 4 weeks up until yesterday, the price of 7 tonner rice went from P27 to P31. Janet went out tonight and bought rice. From yesterday it has jumped overnight P3 to P34. To those of you who predicted that it will go astronomically high, I\'m a believer. To those of you who suggested buying a few bags as a hedge.........I\'m now a believer!!!!.......2moro... I go and buy a few bags. maybe that is panic buying, can any one see an altenative to protect you and yours????? I\'m going to try and help the extended family are complaining that they can\'t afford the basics (not that I have that much) All we can do is help our fellow man to the best of our ability, already the people around me are complaining that they can\'t afford the basics.

That\'s my plan.....dole out 5kilo a week to two closest families (to Glo) in Tagbilaran (actually Wayne\'s suggestion)

Oldest brother picking up pawned** ricefield for 2 years - some of harvest targetted for 5 siblings on Mindanao

Glo\'s also getting 4 sacks/cavans(sp) in return for giving an Aunt money for fertilizer in January so that\'ll help out families in her old Bayong

Offline rainymike

• Sr Member
Wayne,

I enjoyed reading your post. And let me expand on some of its points. The Green Revolution of the 60\'s and 70\'s were partly due to improved crop hybrids, but also largely due to the increased use of energy to produce food (lots of energy required for mechanization, fertilizers, pesticides). Modern food production is very much tied to energy supply.

Energy policies in many countries is very political and often not very rational. Many countries have successfully implemented nuclear energy but fear has pretty much stalled its growth in the US, one of, if not the major energy consumer in the world. Fears of climatic change have lead to politically correct policy like the move to biofuels which contribute to grain shortages. But such policies have not resulted in reduced fuel consumption or substantial decreases in carbon dioxide emissions, but it sure makes people feel better filling up their SUV\'s with \'green\' fuel. What is has does is contributed to corn shortages and higher food prices not only in America, but across the world, since the US is a major food exporter. No, I\'m not anti-environment, but I do believe in thinking out the impact of policy and not just doing what is popular.

As your article points out, there are many factors contributing to the rise in food prices. Just wanted to add that energy is a major factor in this. And that the cost of energy is often tied to good intentioned, but bad policy in many countries. Too often people think of energy purely in terms of the price of gas or climatic change. Energy is one of the major underlying factorsthat contributed to huge food production increases historically, and bad energy policy will invariably affect food prices as well. I see too much political thinking swayed by what is popular and not what is scientifically rational.

Ahhh ... got that off my chest. LOL ... environmentalists, please don\'t flame too much - my research thesis back in the 70\'s was on the Greenhouse Effect.

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
everybody explains everything well..............we have short memories  30 yrs ago..you were a communist
 or hippie tree hugge rif you mentioned anything about green. ...........
  we are living our own karma...........just like in the US or RP.....tok tok tok ......at least you care enough to talk about it........we need to find a solution ...and have the balls to implement it.billy2002

Just saw someone pn yahoogroups had paid P720 for 20kg sack in Luzon......P36 per kilo

I hope we\'re all talking about the same type of rice......

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
The most common rice people are getting at the moment is Angelica, it should be around 32 - 33p a kilo, if they are paying more the dealer saw he was white and saw a good deal coming a mile away, its usually the glare from the white skin that gives it away, it can be blinding even from a distance. How is the distribution thing working out for Glo?

Wayne
Wayne  ;D ;D

The most common rice people are getting at the moment is Angelica, it should be around 32 - 33p a kilo, if they are paying more the dealer saw he was white and saw a good deal coming a mile away, its usually the glare from the white skin that gives it away, it can be blinding even from a distance. How is the distribution thing working out for Glo?

Wayne

Pretty good, with Ansings death last week she was too busy to think of distributing.......I asked how it was going and she went \"ooops\".
Neither family (Ansing was one) had complained but thanked her greatly when a further 5k sent yesterday

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
I know with the Interment, there is a heavy demand on food to feed everyone that drops by, so be aware if a little extra is requested...

Wayne
Wayne  ;D ;D

Yep......with only male members of the family in the household after Ansings death I asked Glo to have our \"students\" help out taking food over to funeral home and keeping house clean for them.

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
Capt. Ron you are a good example of how someone can make a difference.......you cant change the world but you change the lives of people you touch..with your giving.their can be no higher calling
 stillbilly2002

I don\'t think of myself as that \"giving\" a person, but Glo is having that influence on me....

She says that wishes she wasn\'t so dependent on me that she could help her family members herself....

I tell her that it\'s because of her that we are helping family when and where we can.

JT

I use Shell diesel fuel. Three years ago it was 18-20 pesos a liter, now hitting 43-44 pesos a liter, how do folks here earning meager wages afford to drive?  I  can\'t get a good answer. One of the problems is that no one was really prepared for this, worldwide. I will be traveling to the USA soon, and there it\'s almost $4.00 a gallon. Who and what is the cause of this, who do I throw bricks at, where has all the gasoline gone...No kidding this is serious, I have a bicycle at the ready. ;D Soon Jeepneys and trikes will be unable to afford to drive here and make a living on the few pesos they charge. I was in the Cebu province a few months back and the folks there could care less, they got it made, like in the old days you rode on the back of a horse or carabao, thats what they do. The markets have tons of fresh produce and all the rice you need at a great price. I see some gardens but only a few cause the food is so cheap. Meat is still a bit pricey, but fish is the main course and cheap. So maybe thats the answer go back to the ways of the past.