Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: We just waved goodbye to everything we own.....  (Read 47618 times)

We just waved goodbye to everything we own.....
« on: May 20, 2010, 02:09:05 AM »
Well, not quite so dramatic, but a 20\' container just left our house in England with just about every stick of furniture, our clothes, and all my garage and workshop equipment inside.†

I hope we get to see it again one day in the near future.† :-\\

Queen Herald and Princess Herald will be flying over this Sunday, and I\'ll follow about six weeks later, by which time I hope we will have somewhere nice to live.

We currently have no beds, no chairs, no tv, no fridge, freezer or washing machine. We do have a computer, internet connection, a kettle, a radio, a microwave and a bag of (semi) frozen food, and some coffee.† ;D We should be okay for a few days.......

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: We just waved goodbye to everything we own.....
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 03:09:41 AM »
Far out!
I wish I was that far along...
I\'m hoping to make my move in 3-5 years...
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 05:02:18 AM »
Congratz !
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 08:03:23 AM »
Well done King, welcome to the real world† ;) ;D

Colin

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 05:53:55 AM »
Best of luck King, I have been wondering over the last few days how you\'ve been getting on with moving.
I presume your going back off-shore while the family heads to the Phils ?
Can imagine how busy your phone or internet will be as your wife gives you the day to day update on how she is getting on finding a place to live. Its a mighty big step to be taking and i wish you every success bud.
Keep us all informed how things work out,

Jonny
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 06:47:08 AM »
Best of luck King, I have been wondering over the last few days how you\'ve been getting on with moving.
Can imagine how busy your phone or internet will be as your wife gives you the day to day update on how she is getting on finding a place to live. Its a mighty big step to be taking and i wish you every success bud.

Jonny
Thanks for the good wishes folks.† ;D I do feel somewhat privileged to be \'living the dream\'.

Things have been extremely busy, and fairly stressful, with so much official stuff to do regarding the move, the container, all the household liabilities, utilities, insurances etc etc. Even now I can\'t remember a fraction of the stuff we have done, but there are several long lists of jobs, all ticked off one by one.

One pain was waiting on passports for the two wimmin, as they needed to have them in hand before we could buy tickets. (return versus one way)

I started on the 13A route, but gave up because of the cost, and the hassles trying to communicate with the embassy.

Also had to get a new UK passport, as my spare was out of date.

Currently we nearly have tenants for the house, as we\'re renting out rather than selling, and the guy is a car nut, looking specifically for a house with a big workshop.† :D They\'re right now going through the credit check stuff.

Tomorrow I go to sort out \'Landlords insurance\' for the place, and I\'m one by one shutting down all the bloodsucking little expenses that leach out £1100 a month just to put a roof over out heads in the UK.

Mum in law seems to have found us a place to live in the PI, right next door to an old friend of my wifes. The house needs work, but we\'ll rent it for a while with the option to buy.

Daughter has another school lined up, hopefully, after the heart attack I had when I found out her first choice was $12,000 a year.... :o

Fingers crossed everything goes okay from now on.† ;)

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 07:02:09 AM »

Jonny
Thanks for the good wishes folks.† ;D I do feel somewhat privileged to be \'living the dream\'.

Things have been extremely busy, and fairly stressful, with so much official stuff to do regarding the move, the container, all the household liabilities, utilities, insurances etc etc. Even now I can\'t remember a fraction of the stuff we have done, but there are several long lists of jobs, all ticked off one by one.

One pain was waiting on passports for the two wimmin, as they needed to have them in hand before we could buy tickets. (return versus one way)

I started on the 13A route, but gave up because of the cost, and the hassles trying to communicate with the embassy.

Also had to get a new UK passport, as my spare was out of date.

Currently we nearly have tenants for the house, as we\'re renting out rather than selling, and the guy is a car nut, looking specifically for a house with a big workshop.† :D They\'re right now going through the credit check stuff.

Tomorrow I go to sort out \'Landlords insurance\' for the place, and I\'m one by one shutting down all the bloodsucking little expenses that leach out £1100 a month just to put a roof over out heads in the UK.

Mum in law seems to have found us a place to live in the PI, right next door to an old friend of my wifes. The house needs work, but we\'ll rent it for a while with the option to buy.

Daughter has another school lined up, hopefully, after the heart attack I had when I found out her first choice was $12,000 a year.... :o

Fingers crossed everything goes okay from now on.† ;)

We let out our bungalow in the UK when we first moved here, and it proved to be a big mistake. The place was immaculate when we left, but the people that rented it trashed it and even sold the greenhouse. The letting agents were not vigilant to allow this to happen. Taking out the increased insurance was easy and not too expensive. We were told by the agents that we should get an electrical inspection certificate, and that proved expensive. They found a number of silly minor point that needed addressing because the regulations had changed since the place was built. If those regulations were applied here in the Philippines, every house would be condemned† ;D. We made very little money from the rent and eventually sold it at a lower price than we would have got if we sold it in the first place.

Colin

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 01:19:21 PM »
Best move you will ever make King,

Good luck and enjoy the Philippines just like the rest of us!

Graham

c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 04:13:20 PM »
Colin/King

You need to be AWFULLY lucky, or TOTALLY clued in to renters wiles to do well on your first rental......

I was still thinking renters would care for the property as much as I would until I was on about my 10th rental......

Offline friendlysaint

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 05:29:40 PM »
King

Great news on your move, so its \"Goodbye\" to cold wet weather high taxes UK and \"Hello\" to land of smiles stinky hot humid philippines. What a difference in change of pace also.

Bon voyage
Andrew
Singapore Iloilo Express
Western Visayas

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 04:28:38 AM »
Wife and daughter flew today, amidst hellish chaos, as she has been running on Filipino time for weeks, despite me pointing out on many occasions that she would not be ready come the big day. So, despite spending £3500 on a container, we still need to send a couple of Balik boxes tomorrow, with her jewellery in, clothes, shoes, medicines etc..... ::)

A real nice surprise was one of her best friends and family rolling up at 7am today, complete with pancakes and bacon for breakfast, with coffee and enough folding chairs for us all to sit and gasbag for an hour. very thoughtful of them.† ;D

It was pretty sad tidying up the house, after they had left, sorting out the last remnants of our 8 years in the UK, the stuff we\'ve collected, the life we have built.

Yesterday we went to say good bye to my parents. There were a lot of tears, on all sides, and I feel terrible to leave them, at their age, and to also take away their favourite granddaughter. They\'ve seen her virtually every week since she was a baby, so it is going to be hard to take her out of their lives for a year or more at a time.

We have the miracles of communcations nowadays, so I\'m hoping they\'ll get internet installed and we will all be able to Messenger each other, or whatever the system is.

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 05:50:25 AM »
King, try Skype to keep in touch with your family.† That\'s what we use with ours.† Works great, call clarity is nice, with a webcam you can see them as well as talk to them and the price is right, free.

Ako si Goyo.†† Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline JHunt

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 07:47:30 AM »
Congrats, King.† I wish I could say I was near to making that move.....
Jim :)

c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 08:15:21 AM »
King, try Skype to keep in touch with your family.† That\'s what we use with ours.† Works great, call clarity is nice, with a webcam you can see them as well as talk to them and the price is right, free.

Free when caller and called both use skype.......

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 08:29:15 AM »
Cap\'n Ron is correct.† Free is computer to computer.†

Ako si Goyo.†† Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing