Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Random Thoughts on Successful Expats  (Read 3213 times)

Offline rainymike

• Sr Member
Random Thoughts on Successful Expats
« on: May 11, 2008, 04:17:38 PM »
Just a random thought. When I read posts about expats being able to make a go of it or not in the RP, some obvious things come to mind like financial status, ability to adapt to a new culture, etc.

But the more I think about it, isn\'t it more about having a sense of purpose and being able to maintain it. Many of the posters who seem happy with their lives in the RP seem to have a sense of purpose for one reason or another that gets them through the tough times. Sometimes its family, or doing something for the community, or pursuing their own interests.

It\'s something I\'ve thought about when I retire from a fulfilling job and career. Seems that in addition to all the financial planning and so forth, life as an expat will likely be more positive if I have a sense of purpose to my retirement life in the Phils.

Any thoughts? I\'m less interested in why we think some people can\'t make a go of it. More interested in those who have made a successful go at it and are very happy with their new lives. Can you share why you think that is?

Re: Random Thoughts on Successful Expats
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 04:55:08 PM »
Just a random thought. When I read posts about expats being able to make a go of it or not in the RP, some obvious things come to mind like financial status, ability to adapt to a new culture, etc.

But the more I think about it, isn\'t it more about having a sense of purpose and being able to maintain it. Many of the posters who seem happy with their lives in the RP seem to have a sense of purpose for one reason or another that gets them through the tough times. Sometimes its family, or doing something for the community, or pursuing their own interests.

It\'s something I\'ve thought about when I retire from a fulfilling job and career. Seems that in addition to all the financial planning and so forth, life as an expat will likely be more positive if I have a sense of purpose to my retirement life in the Phils.

Any thoughts? I\'m less interested in why we think some people can\'t make a go of it. More interested in those who have made a successful go at it and are very happy with their new lives. Can you share why you think that is?

It is essential to have something to keep your brain active, it can be compared to a muscle, don\'t use it and you will lose it. Many people when they retire from a job that has become their life, without outside interests often, die within a few years. Just moving to the Philippines itself is a challenge, but you need to have other challenges once the initial move has become \'normal\'. One of the reasons I had for moving here was to have a house built to my design. I also want to see more of this part of the world. The other advantage is that the lower cost of living allows me to have more money to spend on my hobbies. I have recently bought more photographic equipment and spent extra on computers. I could have done some of these things in the UK, but it would have been more difficult. I have always been a DIY person, but as I have got older I got tired of decorating and crawling under the car. I can now afford to pay others to do those things. Learning about a new culture can also prove to be interesting, although I must admit that I have not yet got around to learning the language, but it is on the list  ;D

Colin

Beatle

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 11:11:44 PM »

I believe Colin \" hit the nail on the head \" it all about purpose, because you can have great sums of money and be miserable in the Philippines if you are not drawn there for a reason. Myself I have been to the R.P twice and traveled much of Luzon to Visayas and I can\'t wait to move there. But its not the beauty of the Islands, the wonderful people with their smiling faces, being able to get more for the dollar, ect. ect. . They are just the side benefits. The reason why I am going is because of my purpose which really has little to do with the Philippines, My asawa and I both plan on going to school there, I plan on doing ministry and finish building a church that a ministry there started to build but ran out of money and is located about 150 yards from our home in San Jose,Bicol. To me our purpose is to go and be a blessing to the people and from past experience when you give of yourself everything else will fall in line.

Ray

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 12:30:11 AM »
what do you say? what do you know?interesting to hear the different reasons people move to the RP...their motivation....
 ive also found my goal.......reason why............unclouded by a rosy view of the Islands ,this forum plus
the daily Philippine news channels i get here in calif., plus the daily drama of supporting a extended family
  talking to thePR every couple of days ,has removed any false view of my future....now their is just
 life; love my family and friends ,move forward as a unit ,try not to hate ...everybody has issues;
  leave people at arms length;  if their loyalitys are different .....dont live in a Muslim area unless you
 convert.......if you live near the NPA.... have a heart for your brothers in the mountians .feed them

where my relatives live; the NPA :there more relyable then the police ...a NPA warning people take serious
  revoltionary tax ?? ...im a italian-american......like thats a new idea????  also they only bother you if you abuse the people or own too much and are a greedy ass.;D....dont talk about politics,
  religion ,keep a low profile deba? ...sshhhhhhh.....take care  giving your opinion here or elsewhere
 is hard if you dont always agree with the people running things ...like here in America ,,,,,I better
stop billy2002

JT

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 02:22:45 PM »
I got to know the wife\'s family during our visits here before we moved. They shielded me from some of the trappings that can occur to a KANO, ie., out of the woodwork cousins, bad advice about properties for sale, oh there are many things and I won\'t bore you cause most of you already know this part. But success to me is having a loving family that over and over again convince me that they are glad I am here. I have nine nephews and nieces and my bro-in-law made me the Godson of his little boy. My mom in law sells real estate on the side and she is a character, knows whats good for me and never been wrong. Very protective of me. Sure the income of my pension is appreciated, but my in-laws are well off considering. The important thing about my success here is that I feel that I will live out my golden years with peace of mind, and a lovely wife at my side until the end.  ::)

TCummings8

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:41:05 AM »
I couldn\'t agree with your outlook on the expat life more. I have seen it happen many times in many places. A person has a lifelong plan of retiring to their favorite cabin, lake, home etc... after years of successful career, and dies within a very short time. I think retiring to RP can bring an additional level of stress if one has not spent any serious time there prior to retirement and has not taken the proper steps to occupy their time. I have had friends retire and drink themselves to death  in short fashion more out of boredom then anything else, geography having no bearing. I too believe that if you do not have a firm family to hold to, perhaps a spiritual foundation as well, a desire to learn and improve daily, you could stand a good chance of withering on the vine. Most of us have spent a good portion of our lives working and trying to find that special place that will we can call home. If it is in RP or another country other then our native land, it makes sense to me to spend as much time as possible to learn all I can about the people and the culture I have decided to make my home.