Technical Stuff > Internet Connections & TV

Dongle WIFI Antennas

(1/7) > >>

cvgtpc1:
Was going to post to the unli internet thread elsewhere but thought this deserved its own thread.

Does anyone have experience using a product like this?  Look at the frequently bought together parts.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DV4JTM/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002DV4JTM&linkCode=as2&tag=myhomemadediy-20

My question is does a Smart or Globe dongle have a connector on it to plug a cable to?  I haven't seen one in awhile and can't remember.

In E. Samar we really struggle with the internet connection so was considering getting this setup for the next trip to try it out.  But need to know if its possible to connect the dongle to coax like this shows.  Maybe the connectors change the gender; but I do know the dongle doesn't have a full size coax connection on it.  I recall seeing a small connector under the sim cover I think.

I hear some people use a MiFi box.  Does it have a connector this could attach to as well?

ronnsb:
I bought a long 65' active extension USB booster cable to use with a Globe Tattoo wifi dongle. My girl lives in the middle of Panay Island and the dongle will not work on its own. There is no external antenna connection on it. I was going to seal it in a plastic bag and hoist it up a tall piece of bamboo! :)

However, I just bought a Huawei E5776s-32 moblie wifi along with an antenna. I'm hoping this will do the trick. I should get it today and then I will look into an antenna extension cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Huawei-E5776-Mobile-Hotspot-globally/dp/B00B5SZHFE/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1420824087&sr=1-1&keywords=huawei+e5776s-32

I will be there in the Philippines next month and we will see how it works. Wish me luck! :)

Lee2:
The dongles themselves do not have any ports on them, some wifi routers have ports on them that you can plug an antenna in, but with the cable loss at those frequencies, I do not think they will gain much and it might even hurt.

On another forum I am on one member tried the antennas on his smart LTE and found no difference. If the signal is not there then not much you can do. My suggestion would be to go up on a ladder or at a window above where you wish the unit to be, and then see how your cell signal is there. I usually tell people to use their computers next to a window on the second floor or higher of a home and use a short few foot cable to get the dongle next to the window itself if there still is not enough signal. Use your cell phone, if you do not have a full signal meter, then find a place that does and if there is none in the home, then check outside on the ground and then up on a ladder or on the roof.

In Mindanao we have one nieces home that has the best cell phone signal while all the rest of the homes at the same height have little to none, I tried an outside antenna at my brother in laws home, it did not work any better than without it. Tin roof can also be a heck of a problem.

Some of the unlocked LTE devices I have seen in malls have a place for an antenna, the one I bought did not.

coleman2347:
you might try something like this...
dont know if it will work but might be worth a shot

http://my-homemade-diy.blogspot.com/search/label/antenna%20gsm

cvgtpc1:

--- Quote from: ronnsb on January 10, 2015, 01:32:22 AM ---I bought a long 65' active extension USB booster cable to use with a Globe Tattoo wifi dongle. My girl lives in the middle of Panay Island and the dongle will not work on its own. There is no external antenna connection on it. I was going to seal it in a plastic bag and hoist it up a tall piece of bamboo! :)

However, I just bought a Huawei E5776s-32 moblie wifi along with an antenna. I'm hoping this will do the trick. I should get it today and then I will look into an antenna extension cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Huawei-E5776-Mobile-Hotspot-globally/dp/B00B5SZHFE/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1420824087&sr=1-1&keywords=huawei+e5776s-32

I will be there in the Philippines next month and we will see how it works. Wish me luck! :)

--- End quote ---

Hopefully it all works!  Excited to hear the results.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version