Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: A Glitch?  (Read 13091 times)

Re: A Glitch?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 07:36:47 PM »
Again, I have cross checked with the latest posts list & all my unread messages displayed today, are there. I have checked through the main index & no unread posts. I can only guess this is an intermittent† communication fault that may prove difficult to track down. We will look into it but if anyone has a suggestion as what is the cause, please let us know. One possible is, I use Firefox so is this a IE issue?

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 09:20:16 PM »
Again, I have cross checked with the latest posts list & all my unread messages displayed today, are there. I have checked through the main index & no unread posts. I can only guess this is an intermittent† communication fault that may prove difficult to track down. We will look into it but if anyone has a suggestion as what is the cause, please let us know. One possible is, I use Firefox so is this a IE issue?

Keith, I can\'t really help, but your last message did not appear in the \'new posts\' and I also use Firefox† :(

Colin

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 10:19:54 PM »
I\'ve seen none of these posts in \"A Glitch?\" appear in my \"Show unread posts since last visit\" tag.† I think I\'ve seen quite a few of the others though.† I found this thread by looking for unread topics.†

Offline harry80020

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 02:03:44 AM »
To get the \"show unread posts since last visit\" to work, you have to logout of the forum.† If you stay continually logged in, it won\'t work.

Best always,
Harry.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 03:15:53 AM »
Not necessary, Harry.† Each time you hit the \"Home\" button it will reset.† You can also click on F5 to refresh your page and it will reset.

IMHO the best way to check for unread posts is to simply scroll down the page and look for the highlighted topics.† You can always back that up by clicking on the show unread posts button at the top of the page.

Different strokes for different folks.

Jack

PS† Glad to see you here, buddy!
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 09:07:25 AM »
A possible answer to this \'glitch\' is that, although the link says \'Show unread posts\' it in fact displays only the unread posts last reply. If the topic has 2 replies you only get the last one listed & may miss the previous reply.

I often check the \'latest posts\' link at the bottom of the index page to mop up any missed posts.

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 11:30:38 AM »
Something I just discovered.† Once you\'ve looked at every subgroup within a group then the blue thingy to the left on the main page will turn from blue to grey.† If you don\'t want to read every single sub-group just hit the \"mark as read\" button when you go there.† Next time you visit you will know what groups have new (to you) postings, they will be the groups where the blue thingy has been restored to blue.† If it\'s still grey, then no new (to you) postings.† That\'s my great revelation.† I hope \"blue thingy\" isn\'t too technical but I have to show off my computer saviness sometimes.†  ;D
Ako si Goyo.†† Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 11:54:20 AM »
† I hope \"blue thingy\" isn\'t too technical but I have to show off my computer saviness sometimes.†  ;D

......and all this time I thought it was a \'Blue Doodah\'.† ???May be just the difference in American & British English? ::) Thanks for the technical input Greg, you are now the Forum\'s official Techie!† ;D

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 12:34:41 PM »
I\'m happy that we now have a qualified techie aboard.† I\'m new to this format too, but think I have a modus operendi figured out.† I\'m pretty sure that other Linp3 members will eventually move over (the active ones anyway) when they get more accustomed to the new format.

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2008, 06:13:14 PM »
I\'m pretty sure that other Linp3 members will eventually move over (the active ones anyway) when they get more accustomed to the new format.

Ron,

I sure hope so. Information, advise and experience is here for all to access. No need to restate over & over the same thing, so we can move forward with new topics. It\'s an ever changing Philippines & what we knew yesterday isn\'t always relevant today. It\'s good that a long time contributor to the group can see this Forum is the future.

Cheers

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 10:26:54 PM »
Sorry for any perceived negativity but I once saw a poll† on another successful Yahoo group about their thoughts on switching over to this kind of forum.† Most people indicated that they prefer the posts emailed to them.
To me this sounded absolutely crackers as there is no easier way to organise peoples thought than a format such as this.
The thought of wading through hundreds of† emails from 2 or 3 different groups makes me nauseous!
The trick to getting people to change their email habit is to show them how effortless these boards are to use after just a little practice.

Thats why I think having the Show unread posts since last visit and Show new replies to your posts working correctly is important.
I think my last visit here was just over a week ago and there was one post showing unread 10 mins ago..
Funny enough it was in this very thread ..
 Im sure you have had more than one message in over a week!

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2008, 10:51:56 PM »
Thanks for the POSITIVE comments about the forum. I am glad you agree it is a much more logical approach. Now for your issue. This seems a strange & random glitch, the type that evades the most analytical minds BUT I will see if our webmaster has any ideas.

In the meantime there are 2 other ways to cross check unread posts.

1. Look for the \'Scales\' logo on the left of each board. If \'Blue\' there are unread posts. If \'Grey\' (sorry ::) British! - Gray ;D) then no new posts.

2. At the bottom of the Index page there is \'Forum Stats. Click on \'View the most recent posts on the forum\' for a Group type list of posts.

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 09:18:47 AM »
Fred,

We have changed a setting which we think has solved this \'Glitch\'. Let me know if this happens again - hopefully never!

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 11:08:21 AM »
Another new discovery.† Well, for me anyway.† From the home page you can see the blue and grey thingy\'s on the left.† Grey means you have read all the posts in that category and blue means there are new posts to read there.† Knew that.† However, once you are in that category there is another blue thingy that says \"new\".† If one clicks that, instead of the thread name,† then that will immediately take one to the all the unread posts contained in that thread.† Kewl.†  ;D
Ako si Goyo.†† Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 11:17:06 AM »
Yeah Greg, not a glitch, but as you said a new discovery by you.† We\'re all finding new idiosyncrasy\'s with the new forum.† Different strokes, you know.† I never use the \"Show unread posts since last visit\" any more.† I just scroll down and read all the tingys that are highlighted and I still find posts that I missed somehow.† Gotta stay up to date with this one!†  ;D ;D
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH