Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Xoom is a good alternative if you are poor like me  (Read 25335 times)

Offline John Edwards

• Sr Member
Re: Xoom is a good alternative if you are poor like me
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2013, 12:18:16 AM »
My Filipina has a passport but she has never been out of the Philippines. She’s never been off of Cebu until last year when she spent a few months on Boracay as a nanny to a Canadian. She got the passport hoping to come to the US to be with me. That may happen but not soon.

I was also wondering what her bank would do if I sent her a check. Would it convert it to pesos and deposit it into her account? I’ll ask her to check with her bank on that idea. If anyone has a good answer I would appreciate it. Ofcourse the best answer would be “yes” but Murphy wouldn’t allow it to be that easy.

While I am here posting I guess I’ll gaze off into space and dig my toes guiltily in the dirt and confess I was in error when I said that my bank has WebPay. What they have is something they call WebBanking, which works just like I said. I was just wrong about the name. 

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Xoom is a good alternative if you are poor like me
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2013, 12:43:52 AM »
I went to this website: https://www.mtb.com/personal/onlineservices/Pages/BanktoBankTransfer.aspx
about Web Banking and it only mentions bank to bank transfers only in the U.S. and mentioned nothing about international bank transfers or on-line check writing for deposit to an overseas account.
If I could do that and it was "free", I would have been a member long time ago even before I left the U.S. to go to the Philippines and retire, but I haven't found anything like that in after 15 years of living here in the Philippines! That's why I just deposit my U.S. personal checks into my RP dollar account every month and it doesn't cost a thing! I just hate being nickled and dimed to death every month by on-line money remittance services and by bank money wire transfers to my RP dollar or pesos account!       

In my opinion, if your girlfriend has a RP dollar account then she could deposit what ever U.S. checks she receives from you, but I don't know how long the clearing of your check will take to clear and post into her dollar account! Besides, if she has her own RP dollar account, you can just use xoom to send her money in dollars to her dollar account or even yet into her RP peso account! Are you just trying to avoid the transaction fees when you send her money?     
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:27:00 AM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!