Getting Prepared For The Philippines > Finding, Buying 4-wheel Vehicles

Used cars

(1/3) > >>

dav662:
How are the used car market in the Philippines? Are they mostly decently maintained? And how are the prices compared to other Asean countries?

Danson L.:
NO, NO, NO, 80% of the used vehicles here are trash, also there is  great possibility  of speedometer rollback (I was a victim of this). Several vehicles for sale here have been FLOODED. Maintenance here is almost unheard of, & the motto is "drive'em until they quit" Some of the prices on used vehicles here are ridiculous. Most of the time the used vehicles are super clean and detailed to the max [inside an outside] but lo and behold what lies underneath, or how many times the vehice has been wrecked, thousands of Kilometers on it, abused, or run into the ground is anyone's guess. You will find if a used vehicle is within a year or two old, then the prices are almost as much as a NEW vehicle. Most of the time MAINTENANCE of a vehicle here is considered a "waste of money" I would never, never, never, even  AGAIN considering buying a USED ANYTHING here. I been there, done that!!!     

Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am:
Well, sorry I don't fit your profile! I have a restored 1979 Toyota Corolla SR Coupe since 1999 with a recent makeover and we recently bought a 2006 Toyota Innova, which we got for a good price we couldn't turn down. Both are doing great! I've been there and done that too with better results by maintaining their reasonable regular maintenance upkeep!

JoeLP:
if you have any mechanical aptitude you might have a chance.  Otherwise, i'd stay away.  People here are not taught nor have any real idea of the word/practice that is maintenance.

One of the stall owners in the market bought a brand new Nissan.  Lasted about 2 years.  What killed it?  Never got a single oil change.  The engine just locked up.  Granted, this was a woman who never drove a day in her life, used it as a status symbol and had a driver to get her around.  Her first car.  Clueless to maintenance.

Right after I arrived the chance came up to buy a '92 honda civic.  My first honda was a '92 Accord.  I figured if the price is right I'd make a go at it seeing I'd have a good idea on how to do minor work as well as all the maintenance.  Pulled out the dipstick and the thickest blackest oil I've ever seen first hand was on it.  No washer fluid.  When i asked about it, the asked me what was suppose to go in it.  LOL  Was too afraid to check the other fluids and passed on it.

Even commercial setups are horrible at it.  Go look at the maintenance of most jeepneys or vans and what have you.  Some of the times I take a van to calbayog instead of my bike I just shake my head at how rickety the van is.  Hearing noise that comes from the suspension system, or steering system that really starts to unnerve me as we are going through the mountains and curves. 

Now, there are some locals who do understand the whole maintenance thing.  But in my experience, they are few and far apart.

bigpearl:
In Australia My better half has a Peugeot 508 allure wagon, we paid AU 52K, brand new drive away, at current exchange rates that's about 1.65 M pesos.To buy the same car in PH is about 2.1 M pesos and that is only a sedan, we want this sort of car in PH when we move back but the cost is very high. We have looked at the second hand market also and can't believe the prices, and as another writer here says, is there a service history? (a common question here and other countries I am sure) Probably not or doctored.
Even the locally made Toyota Vios at 600 to 950K Pesos (no import duty?) pales to what we can buy here, Toyota corolla, bigger engine, bigger car, same price.
I think it goes back to other posts on here about protectionism, very high import duties though I may be wrong.
All in all, it is what it is and we will just have to pay up for a new car when we get there.
Cheers, Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version