Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Personal safety Talisay, Negros Occidental Bacolod  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Jabberman

Personal safety Talisay, Negros Occidental Bacolod
« on: March 05, 2018, 05:56:35 PM »
Apologies in advance if this should go elsewhere. Just at this moment I'm just going there and will see what happens, so I'm not looking at stuff like banking, renting etc...all that can wait for now. But I am concerned about personal safety, I arrive at Manila quite late so am going to book a capsule at the Wings Lounge which means I won't have to leave the airport but can anyone tell me how safe Talisay will be on a night? I have spoken to an American who lives nearby and he told me he never goes out a night, it's not safe.

Obviously it's no hassle for the lady I am going to visit, she's born and bred there, but then will people perceive her differently 'cos she's got a white boyfriend who is obviously a multi-millionaire who keeps warm on a night by burning 50 notes!! A Philippine friend of mine has told me to be careful and also said my girlfriend needs to be really aware of what's going on around us, things like if I we are out and about, watch out nobody follows me to rest room that kind of stuff.

More apologies if this stuff has been discussed elsewhere on this forum, I'm still finding my feet here.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Personal safety Talisay, Negros Occidental Bacolod
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 10:19:35 PM »
Opinions will vary on this topic,   it is one of the first questions us guys usually ask when/if we first get interested in the Philippines.  If you where ok in Turkey it is likely your used to most of the problems here already.

In my opinion watch your back,  sides and front at all times.  Trouble can come from any direction until your comfortable to trust the lady.

She and or her family will know how to keep you safe.  If she tells you not to go that way or not to do something just follow with it,  unless you detect that she isn't who you thought she was.

There is many scams that occur that take advantage of nice guys with big hearts,  also there are many not so nice guys that go here.  She and eventually her family will be checking you out also.

Put common sense into overdrive,  such as if you have a drink,  limit and don't get drunk.  If any other vices just stay away from them for that time as the laws can be very strict and fast.  Don't flash money,  and so on.   Likely all the stuff you already would know to do or not do.

Watch out for mosquitoes,  more than you normally would.  Getting sick can ruin a nice trip.

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 08:47:46 AM »
Jabberman I cannot speak for your area as I have not been there yet but I have been to Mindanao many times and there are many warnings out about going there, yet I have never had an issue there. Walking at night can be a problem in any poor area of any country, always use caution and especially until you are familiar with an area, there is really no need to go walking around that area at night and especially not if we have been drinking.

Using Cebu as an example, my wife and I do go out at night but we take taxis and I have on occasion walked around the streets at night by myself but I try to limit walking around at night here as I do back while back in Florida, predators always seem to come out at night, just like roaches and rats do.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline sonnychiba

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 02:33:38 PM »
Apologies in advance if this should go elsewhere. Just at this moment I'm just going there and will see what happens, so I'm not looking at stuff like banking, renting etc...all that can wait for now. But I am concerned about personal safety, I arrive at Manila quite late so am going to book a capsule at the Wings Lounge which means I won't have to leave the airport but can anyone tell me how safe Talisay will be on a night? I have spoken to an American who lives nearby and he told me he never goes out a night, it's not safe.

Obviously it's no hassle for the lady I am going to visit, she's born and bred there, but then will people perceive her differently 'cos she's got a white boyfriend who is obviously a multi-millionaire who keeps warm on a night by burning 50 notes!! A Philippine friend of mine has told me to be careful and also said my girlfriend needs to be really aware of what's going on around us, things like if I we are out and about, watch out nobody follows me to rest room that kind of stuff.

More apologies if this stuff has been discussed elsewhere on this forum, I'm still finding my feet here.
I have lived south of Bacolod and in Bacolod City year round since June, 2009. This is one of the safer areas in the Philippines. Crimes against foreigners are not common in Greater Bacolod, which includes Talisay. Ayala Mall and Metro Supermarket are located in Talisay and we go there at night, never a problem. There is not much of a nightlife in Talisay but there is in Bacolod. I go out with Filipino friends from time to time in Bacolod for a few cold ones, in evenings, and I never encountered any problems.

With that said, no place is 100% safe. Going out alone at night as in walking around the streets, for a foreigner, is not recommended anywhere in the Philippines, although I have taken a walk on the wild side and I have done it a few times, without incident.

Have fun in Greater Bacolod. Fiipinos seeing foreigners in this area is common, as several thousand expats live in Bacolod and in Talisay.

~ Gary ~
Bacolod City

Offline Jabberman

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 03:55:42 PM »
Thank you for your replies, they really are appreciated. There are similarities with where I lived in Turkey although from what I've been reading over the last few weeks, PH does seem to have more crime but I think you are all correct in pointing out that sometimes how you conduct yourself can attract the wrong people as well, ie. getting plastered and generally giving it the big I am.

Unless my spidey senses have totally deserted me, I have no reason to doubt the lady I am going to see. I've studied her body language the best I can as we video chatted  and I'm sure she is 100% genuine. I've also read a few stories about blokes saying the same thing only to end up well and truly burnt.
But as I said before, most guys on here have made that leap of faith at some point. And as FW rightly pointed out, they will be checking me out as much as I will be checking them out! I have no intention of going anywhere on my own, so hopefully as long as I'm in safe hands I should be okay and believe me, if she says turn right not left I will definitely be turning right! Honestly, if I detect something not right, then I'm on the next (daytime) flight out of Negros!

Went for my injections yesterday, ironically it was a Philippine nurse who administered them, she also advised re mosquito, so looks like it's a spoonful of Marmite a day for the next six weeks!

Offline AggieExPat

• Born in Chicago and Raised in Texas...
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 11:20:39 AM »
I live in iloilo and have visited Bacolod and Talisay last week.  I will tell you that my wife and I were impressed with Bacolod, very clean and roads very well maintained with little traffic compared to other places in the Philippines that we have visited.  People for the most part friendly but with that said.  I would heed the advice of others in regards to going out at night and going around with people you can trust..

We are planning a return trip soon. 

Also, If you are a golfer they have 3 courses in the area that I know of...
Javi Lopez

Iloilo City, Iloilo

Offline Jabberman

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 02:59:05 PM »
Thanks AggieExPat (and everyone else). Think I'm just going to have to fine tune my radars and stick close to those I trust. I used to play golf a little in UK but got a bit hacked off with the snobbery I came across in various clubs over here but it's good you mention it, might be a good idea to get the rusty clubs out from the garage!

UNGGOY

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 12:32:22 PM »
I live in iloilo and have visited Bacolod and Talisay last week.  I will tell you that my wife and I were impressed with Bacolod, very clean and roads very well maintained with little traffic compared to other places in the Philippines that we have visited.  People for the most part friendly but with that said.  I would heed the advice of others in regards to going out at night and going around with people you can trust..

We are planning a return trip soon. 

Also, If you are a golfer they have 3 courses in the area that I know of...

"Very clean". Apart from the gangster graffiti all over EVERYTHING?