Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Making yourself understood.... is it possible?  (Read 4451 times)

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
Making yourself understood.... is it possible?
« on: May 22, 2008, 01:45:20 PM »
In reference to the preceding topic about mail which changed to differences in colloquial language. I found that when I left Oz and traveled to the US, many words that I thought were common had completely different meanings, and many actions that were normal in Oz got me fired from positions in the US.

How the tables have been turned again now that we are here, how words for things have changed and trying to describe something that would take 30 seconds in the US or Oz now takes 10 minutes here in the Philippines. And things that are normal in both countries will get you arrested here.

In Australia            In the US
Biscuit                     Cookie
Scone                     Biscuit
Banger                    Sausage
Saveloy                   Frankfurter
Foot Path                Sidewalk
Tap                        Faucet
Bonnet                    Hood
Windscreen             Windshield
Boot                       Trunk

Lets take some time to describe our first instances of what we did that in the US, Oz, UK or where ever we are from and when it was done here for the first time, what the reaction was.

Like kissing your asawa in public? Or when walking together letting your hand accidentally wander to her derrier, what was the reaction received, did you discuss it in private before leaving on your outing, the what you can do\'s and the what you cannot do\'s and the what you will get shot for doing in public do\'s and do nots.

In Australia, maybe similar to the UK, have not been there but the humor is similar, so the mores may be as well. I remember that there was not when I left a battle of the sexes, we were equally rough on each other, give and take were equal, sexual discrimination to a large extent was normal and no offense was taken. Although not so overt, some of the things we did in Australia would land you in jail in the US and definitely fired as I found out through experience.

On one occasion, I walked up behind a girl who was in a tech support role at our company, I had to do something to her computer which should have taken 5 secs, a small adjustment, but in doing so I over balanced, lent to far forward and placed my hand on her shoulder for balance. I was fired for touching a female subordinate in an inappropriate place during the course of our work day. This would not happen in Australia, but in the US anything is possible. After spending so much time in politically correct USA, I found myself thinking there we so many things I could not do anywhere in the Philippines, yet for all of the Prim and Proper in public, many things here pass as normal at work, that would land you in court in the US. Our Ya ya here gives me a massage on my shoulders and arms whenever they ache, a side affect of using keyboards and mice at odd angles for many years, most server rooms where not ergonomically designed for user comfort. In the US, you could not get an employee to give you a massage unless she was employed for that specific purpose.

I remember growing up in Australia, poking someone in the ribs when not expected was considered good clean fun, even in a work environment, definitely a no no in the US, but fine here. So there are cultural mores that are different, traditions are different, what we consider normal is considered abhorrent and what is considered normal here could get you thrown in jail in other parts of the world. How many of us over the age of fifty have GF\'s, Fiancées or Asawas half their age or less, again here it is normal, what are your chances of snatching a gorgeous 18 yr old for a wife if you are over fifty, unless she is a gold digger, and then you would have to be over 75.

Wayne
Wayne  ;D ;D

Re: Making yourself understood.... is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 08:20:31 AM »
GUIDE NOTE: The replies to this post were off topic & have been split & moved to \'Political Correctness..??\':

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=1130.15

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 11:48:40 PM »
Wayne and all,

Has anyone else noticed their lovely asawa saying \"Yes\" when they obviously mean \"No\"?  Or mixing gender in their conversations, saying \"He\" when they are obviously speaking of a \"She\"?

This happens all the time with Glo and occasionally it causes confusion, mostly on my part.   ;)

It usually occurs when Glo is speaking quickly, off the top of her pretty head, or if she is angry.  >:( >:(
(not that my beautiful asawa EVER has anything to be angry about, di ba?)  ::) ::)

Just wondering if any of you have noticed this with your asawa or other family members?
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Robm

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 04:17:23 AM »
Wayne and all,

Has anyone else noticed their lovely asawa saying \"Yes\" when they obviously mean \"No\"?  Or mixing gender in their conversations, saying \"He\" when they are obviously speaking of a \"She\"?

This happens all the time with Glo and occasionally it causes confusion, mostly on my part.   ;)

It usually occurs when Glo is speaking quickly, off the top of her pretty head, or if she is angry.  >:( >:(
(not that my beautiful asawa EVER has anything to be angry about, di ba?)  ::) ::)

Just wondering if any of you have noticed this with your asawa or other family members?

Sure.... all the time. The yes/no mix ups get me sometimes.... but what I find the most challenging is the eyebrow raise. A quick eyebrow raise (meaning approval) doesn\'t always catch my eye. I find myself on the lookout for it when I am expecting an answer.
She also has a hard time with AT&T for some reason.... Last night I was trying to explain how \"and\" sometimes comes out as \"N\".... So it sounds like ATNT... Hey... I\'m an Okie. What can I say?
My Asawa has a pretty strong \"accent\". I find myself saying \"huh?\" a lot. Usually by the time she repeats it I have deciphered it in my mind.
Indiana Jones is \"In-gee-ana Jones\"
Enthusiastic is \"In-chew-she-ash-tic\" or something rather.

A quick story. We were fishing the other day... she said \"do you see those fish?\". I said \"no, how big are they?\". She said \"as big as your nose\".
Gotta love the pinay sense of humor regardless of the communication challenges!

Robm

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 04:53:56 AM »
Wayne and all,

This happens all the time with Glo and occasionally it causes confusion, mostly on my part.   ;)

Sure.... all the time. The yes/no mix ups get me sometimes.... but what I find the most challenging is the eyebrow raise. A quick eyebrow raise (meaning approval) doesn\'t always catch my eye. I find myself on the lookout for it when I am expecting an answer.
She also has a hard time with AT&T for some reason.... Last night I was trying to explain how \"and\" sometimes comes out as \"N\".... So it sounds like ATNT... Hey... I\'m an Okie. What can I say?
My Asawa has a pretty strong \"accent\". I find myself saying \"huh?\" a lot. Usually by the time she repeats it I have deciphered it in my mind.
Indiana Jones is \"In-gee-ana Jones\"
Enthusiastic is \"In-chew-she-ash-tic\" or something rather.

A quick story. We were fishing the other day... she said \"do you see those fish?\". I said \"no, how big are they?\". She said \"as big as your nose\".
Gotta love the pinay sense of humor regardless of the communication challenges!

Robm

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! 
Dang, you got a big\'n Rob!   :D :D :D :D

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 05:02:19 AM »
Yeah! Sometimes my yes can be means no IF I\'m confused with the question :-\;D.  I used body language to response questions of my husband especially when we are around with his family ;D.  If I don\'t say anything with matching quick sharp eye to eye contact that means NO.  If he still do what he wanted even if I don\'t agree with him then 1 week no dinner lol!  My simple smile means YES!  :).

By the way Robm, amusing story  ;D  :D.

Beatle

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 06:56:07 AM »
Wayne and all,

Ohhhhh Yea!  the day before mothers day Salve said \" don\'t get me anything for mothers day \" and I thought well that makes sense we don\'t have any children. ( trying though ) So the next day came and guess  what? I didn\'t get her anything! If we would of had a doghouse I would of been in it. So from now on \"no\" means \"yes\" and  \"yes\" means \"yes\" its on the same line of her money is her money and my money is her money ;D.

Have any of you had you asawa say this?    Right after we got married we had did the dishes one night after dinner and I had put the dishes in  a strainer to dry and she said this \" Keep the dishes\" well we hadn\'t been married long enough for me to realize \" OK I don\'t understand what she means, so I need to take time and figure out what she means or better yet have her explain it \" ???
Nooooo, I had to say something that hurt her feelings and I seriously was not trying to, I said \" well, I am not going to throw them away. Since that day I learned there was going to be a language barrier to a certain extent and I said to myself I was not going to say anything that would ever hurt her feeling again and I still keep saying it.  It got something to do with Mars,Venus and the Philippines

Ray

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 08:54:24 AM »
Wayne and all,

When we were first married I used to get the occasional raised eyebrows and lip pointing, but that was more in fun. My wife decided right from the start that she would become English. She asked me to always correct her mistakes and used to do crosswords and puzzles to improve her English. Now if i need to check spelling and I do not have my \'spelyn Chequer\' handy I will ask her, and on the rare occasions she is not sure she will look it up in her dictionary.

Now that we are living in the Philippines, I have noticed that if I speak to her immediately after she has been talking in Tagalog she sometimes doesn\'t understand me. Her brain is in what I call her tagalog mode, it is expecting tagalog and doesn\'t immediately recognize the words I am saying  ;D

Colin

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 09:25:52 AM »

When we were first married I used to get the occasional raised eyebrows and lip pointing, but that was more in fun. My wife decided right from the start that she would become English. She asked me to always correct her mistakes and used to do crosswords and puzzles to improve her English. Now if i need to check spelling and I do not have my \'spelyn Chequer\' handy I will ask her, and on the rare occasions she is not sure she will look it up in her dictionary.

Now that we are living in the Philippines, I have noticed that if I speak to her immediately after she has been talking in Tagalog she sometimes doesn\'t understand me. Her brain is in what I call her tagalog mode, it is expecting tagalog and doesn\'t immediately recognize the words I am saying  ;D

Colin

Don\'tcha love it?   ;D ;D ;D

Offline BenK

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 09:57:51 AM »
Wayne and all,

Colin

Julie\'s English is really pretty good, but she uses weird syntax sometimes when she gets mad, which will manifest itself in statements like \"Do you want me to make spank to you?\" (to our bratty three-year old) I just think it\'s funny and tease her endlessly when she does that, and as a consequence those sorts of idioms end up becoming part of our household dialect (English-Spanish-Tagalog-German-Visayan-Moro-Hungarian-and a little bit of Ilocano). Someone should study us -- where else will a sentence like, \"If you put the skrunka in the oven toaster it will be ihawan and then awanan comida\" ever make sense to anyone?
That\'s not chicken.

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 10:35:44 AM »
Jack wrote:;
Or mixing gender in their conversations, saying \"He\" when they are obviously speaking of a \"She\"?

Jack this is a very difficult one for a Pilipina.  Mostly they have no gender distinciton in their native languages.  Have you noticed that your wife is your asawa and you are also her asawa (In Bisayan they do have the word \"Bana\" to designate husband though).  The words \"him\" and \"her\" are not found in the words of their language.  In their dialects if you\'re talking about your sister or brother you\'re literally talking about your sibling.  To differentiate between them you literally would say my \"sibling female\" or my \"sibling male\".  As well with nieces and nephews.  There is only one word for both.  So, again, you must add female or male to that word to specify which you speak of.  Mostly they never add the female or male info, they just say my sibling, etc.  We are befuddled because we want to know specifically who they are talking about while it matters little to them.  And that\'s the way it is.   ;D

PS

Befuddled.  Now there\'s a perfectly good word that not many people use anymore.  It\'s a shame.  :D
Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing