It’s Your Money > Building in the Philippines

Modern Style Kitchens

(1/5) > >>

Oztravels:
Hi Everyone

We are just about to start fitting out our apartment in Bohol and looking into options for kitchens. We would like to try and get a kitchen that is somewhat modern (i.e. two pack with granite tops).

Most of the kitchens we have seen built here are quite chunky and heavy (timber) styles. While the workmanship of the ones we have seen are excellent they don\'t really fit with our \'minimalist\' style preferences.  Can anyone point me in the direction of an \'ikea\' style supplier that possibly flat packs kitchens. Alternately a local supplier that can build and ship what we are looking for?

All help is appreciated

David (Bohol)

:

--- Quote from: Oztravels on January 24, 2011, 05:57:08 AM ---Hi Everyone

We are just about to start fitting out our apartment in Bohol and looking into options for kitchens. We would like to try and get a kitchen that is somewhat modern (i.e. two pack with granite tops).

Most of the kitchens we have seen built here are quite chunky and heavy (timber) styles. While the workmanship of the ones we have seen are excellent they don\'t really fit with our \'minimalist\' style preferences.  Can anyone point me in the direction of an \'ikea\' style supplier that possibly flat packs kitchens. Alternately a local supplier that can build and ship what we are looking for?

All help is appreciated

David (Bohol)

--- End quote ---
I am hoping to get a local carpenter to construct cabinets to my design on site. Citi Hardware has a lot of the metal sliding racks and even some reasonable draw and door fronts.

Colin

Oztravels:
Thanks Colin

I will give them a try today.

Cheers

David

:
David, a lot of Pinoys build the kitchen with concrete/tile top with a tiled sink. GRRRRR!!

Foreigners might use the same method but with SS sink and granite top and wooden doors.

Building with JUST wood, think about the humidity, (Island conditions), and insects involvement over time.  Doors  and cabinets can be replaced. BTW, some wood ready made kitchen produces will warp with time!!!

Tropical building takes a lot more evaluation then other parts of the world, from my POV!

Case in point, a buddy built a MASSIVE house in the mountains of the Philippines using sheetrock, (an American term), inside. Three years later, in a few areas, humiidiity is showing it\'s deed!! Standard \"sheetrock\" doesn\'t far well with humidity...................PERIOD and Islands always has humidity!!!

In other words, do right now by current conditions where your at or pay later!!!  BTW, there are NO hard and fast rules, building in the tropics and YOUR, (foreign), ways may not be to your best interest!!
B-Ray

Garpo:
I have only been here since September of 2010 but have looked at many different homes and apartments and as of yet have not seen or found a kitchen with a dishwasher!   I guess this is one of the things that will be missed but gotten over with time.....lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version