Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Smart or Globe  (Read 16475 times)

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
Re: Smart or Globe
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 09:55:37 AM »
My wife has a post paid subscription with Globe on her Apple 4GS iPhone and she constantly receives numerous text messages and or calls from bank solicitors, Globe promo deals and promo scams supposedly DTI authorized on a biweekly basis!
I use Smart's prepaid cards and I don't get any of those junk text mails or calls on my cheap Nokia cellphone!  :o ??? ;)
I used to get them but they came with instructions on how to stop them. So, I followed the instructions and they stopped.
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 06:58:10 AM »
Depends on your area.  globe works the best at home, Smart works the best in my shop.  The iphone here is a real handy tool now with the turn by turn directions and good maps.  finally google earth gives this place maps...

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 08:44:48 AM »
I have Both but use only Globe I give out the smart to people I dont like to be Bothered by.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 12:09:29 AM »
Depends on your area.  globe works the best at home, Smart works the best in my shop.  The iphone here is a real handy tool now with the turn by turn directions and good maps.  finally google earth gives this place maps...

What does iPhone service run per month?
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline binayadong

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 01:45:58 AM »
Is there a phone and service that has internet option there? I'm thinking of leaving my computer here but needs to keep in communication with hubby. I'm kinda getting paranoid about stories of pickpockets and snatchers.  As i will be travelling  i figure a phone in my small purse will be easier to protect than a purse and computer in a case. Will I be able to buy a service just for a month?

A week to go and hello Philippines!!!

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 01:59:58 AM »
It would depend on what kind of cellphone you already have and yes there is post paid or prepaid internet service for cellphones here! I would recommend the prepaid so you're not tied up with their monthly service plan and would be expensive to use in the U.S. in roaming mode with a cellphone service plan from the Philippines! 
There are so many cellphones to choose from at most SM or any major malls here! I was just looking around at some cellphones at SM today and it's overwhelming with so many cellphones to choose from! So, take your pick!
Look at the new Sony models, most are prepaid phones and reasonably priced!
Pics of Sony cellphones
https://www.google.com/search?q=Pictures+of+Sony+cellphones+in+the+Philippines&sa=G&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=ec12UYKdE9CQiAfjgIGYBw&ved=0CDIQsAQ&biw=1120&bih=635#imgrc=xXxqJ6c0UD5ZUM%3A%3BYoYHHbCzPqfqjM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimages01.olx.com.ph%252Fui%252F16%252F61%252F72%252F1323837087_291015972_3-Sony-Experia-X8-Smartphone-Cell-Phones-Accessories.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fmanila.olx.com.ph%252Fsony-experia-x8-smartphone-iid-291015972%3B625%3B469

Price list of Sony Cellphones
http://www.cmkcellphones.com/sony_mobile.html

Smart Homepage

http://www1.smart.com.ph/corporate

Globe Homepage
http://surf.globe.com.ph/

BTW, if you have Skype on your home PC, there is also a Skype application for cellphones!
http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-mobile/

Do you have a Magic Jack? A good device to have anywhere!
http://www.magicjack.com/plus-v05/customercare.html

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:41:13 AM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 03:50:36 AM »
Art....I have been thinking of getting Magic Jack.  In fact, it was also suggested to me by several Balikbayans here.  I get conflicting recommendations on Magic Jack Plus or the regular Magic Jack. I know with Plus, you do not need to have your computer turned on, just wi-fi.  And of course, the unit costs more.  If you don't mind, do you have an opinion on either one or the other?
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 05:38:30 AM »
Art....I have been thinking of getting Magic Jack.  In fact, it was also suggested to me by several Balikbayans here.  I get conflicting recommendations on Magic Jack Plus or the regular Magic Jack. I know with Plus, you do not need to have your computer turned on, just wi-fi.  And of course, the unit costs more.  If you don't mind, do you have an opinion on either one or the other?

I know you asked Art but I will give my opinion in case it helps you.

I have and use both Magic Jacks. My original unit is now in its 7th year and still working and my Plus unit is now in its second year. My understanding is that they are no longer selling the original units but if you can still get one then the main advantage would be the cost saving, since either can be used plugged into the computer and only the Plus can be used just plugged into the router. I like both units and prefer to have them plugged into my computer when in use, so I can see who is calling and have my address book up on the screen to make calls from, yet if you have a Plus and wish to see who is calling, then you will also need a phone with caller ID and even then a lot of phone numbers do not come up with the name that way, whereas if the unit is plugged in and someone in your address book is calling, then it will show you the name who is calling you on your computer screen.

So to sum it up, it would be my opinion that since the Plus can be used either way, get a plus unless the difference in cost is very important to you. Also a good thing to remember is that newer usually means with improvements but not always yet the newer unit does seem to be better made than the older one I also have. Also no matter which one you get, the units are a bit delicate and especially when traveling, so I use an electrical tape round hard plastic case to put my units in when traveling and tape is shut to protect the unit from damage while it is in my computer case.

Oh and to get back on topic, I use Smart and Globe in my dual sim phone but prefer Smart and my wife has been using her Smart sim for over 10 years now and it is still working well many phones later. I feel Smart prepaid is easier to load and easier to get your balance on using you smart menu, so I would say get Smart unless the majority of people in the area you are going to live use Globe or the people you will be using your phone to talk/text with will be using mostly Globe.

Oh and to add confusion to this, Sun is yet another choice but from my experience I would say to not use Sun for a primary line.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:45:30 AM by Lee »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 05:41:15 AM »
Bud,
I only had the regular Magic Jack and it worked pretty well until it went tango uniform with less than 2 yrs of use, I couldn't no longer hear any incoming calls on it and I tried everything to correct it to no avail! If Lee reads this, he just might chime in and explain more in detail, because he is using both types of Magic Jacks while on vacation in Cebu! Will I buy another? I don't know, because I mainly use Skype now, but on second thought, I like to have a U.S. number to use as reference if any agencies of the government may call me direct of important matters I need to know. Skype doesn't have that feature unless you pay for it! And I would not buy a 5 yr subscription with Magic Jack, because it just may go out on you in less then 5 yrs, but with me it went out in less than 2 yrs, so luckily I didn't get the 5 yr service plan! OK Lee, you can chime in now! Well dang Lee, you beat me to the punch! You're up already? I just had to go pee and that's why I'm up too! I'm going back to sleep now! I'm not usually an early riser with the chickens, but luckily we don't have any chickens around here thank goodness! :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 06:02:36 AM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 06:18:45 AM »
To add to Arts post, if you get a Magic Jack or any other VOIP phone (magic jack being the least expensive I know of) be sure to register your phone number with your US credit cards and banks way before leaving, that way when you call them, they will automatically know it is you.

While my wife and I are only in the Philippines about 4 months a year, there have been way too many times I have had to call back to the US to credit cards and banks and had some call me during our last 7 years or so that I have had my units, that I would not wish to ever do without a US phone number. One time before I had my units I had to call a bank back in the US on my Philippine cell phone and they had to ask me every one of my personal details in order to make sure it was me. Most Philippine cell phones that I know of are not digital, so anyone with the right equipment can listen in on cell calls, so do you want all your personal info easily available. Maybe yet another reason to get a Magic Jack or other VOIP phone if you are going to live in the Philippines and maintain some banks or cc in your home country not to even mention for personal phone calls.

As a side bit to all this, US 800 numbers do not work in the Philippines but some major banks and credit card companies do have Philippine 800 numbers that do work, so before anyone leaves their home country it might be very helpful to them no matter which type of phone they get, Globe, Smart, PLDT or otherwise, to ask your banks and cc companies for their Philippine 800 number if they happen to have one.

I would also say that during your first 5 years or so and probably onward into your life in the Philippines, that for US people having a US number is very helpful, I cannot even begin to tell people how many phone calls we get a month from friends in the US who think nothing about picking up the phone to call us while we are here, yet at the same time I am sure many of them would not be calling as often if at all if the call were not free.

LL not only stands for Land Line but also could mean Life Line at times.  ;)

Yup Art I am up way too early this morning.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 06:23:59 AM by Lee »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 02:29:23 PM »
I like Skype for video but I am going to go with the Magic Jack Plus for the U.S. phone number.  Guess I better hurry up and get it though.  NFCU has a Philippine 800 number right on their website but I am sure there will be other places I will need to call.  For in the Philippines for mobile phone, I have had my Smart number for over a couple years now.  Going to put a Globe sim in with it after I get there and use both.

Thanks guys.  Helped a great deal in me getting that decided.
Whatever floats your boat.