Getting Prepared For The Philippines > Driving and Vehicles in RP

Driver License

<< < (2/8) > >>

Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am:

--- Quote from: medic3500 on April 06, 2013, 12:28:33 PM ---I don't understand the concern about taking a drug screen before getting a drivers license. I realize that driving is a granted privilege and not a right not only in this country, but any country I have been too. As long as the test is supposedly administered to everyone equally, yes I know some people pay their way out of doing it the legal way and circumvent the system. Urine test is quite easy to defeat if they are not random. With the only exception being for smoking pot all of the drugs they are testing for, metabolize and are out of the body in 72 hours. Pot on the other hand can take weeks or months if a heavy user.

--- End quote ---
I remembered long ago when I had to renew my license! No problem concerning their drug test! I was there early and when it came time to pee in the bottle I couldn't fill up the bottle! So, I bought a few of their bottled water they we're conveniently selling right there in their office! It took me all afternoon to get my license all because I couldn't pee in their bottle at request! I was already prepared too, because I drank a lot of coffee that morning before leaving the house, but I couldn't hold it and had to go pee before arriving at LTO!  :o ???

swandivr:

--- Quote from: medic3500 on April 06, 2013, 12:28:33 PM ---I don't understand the concern about taking a drug screen before getting a drivers license. I realize that driving is a granted privilege and not a right not only in this country, but any country I have been too. As long as the test is supposedly administered to everyone equally, yes I know some people pay their way out of doing it the legal way and circumvent the system. Urine test is quite easy to defeat if they are not random. With the only exception being for smoking pot all of the drugs they are testing for, metabolize and are out of the body in 72 hours. Pot on the other hand can take weeks or months if a heavy user.

--- End quote ---

I believe drug tests are an unwarranted intrusion on our privacy.Passing a drug test isn't the problem,it's the notion that a government can demand it that bothers me.We could argue that position that some take that driving isn't a right,but a granted privilege all night long,but at the end of the day,a drug test is an unwarranted intrusion and even worse,a suggestion that you must be a drug user if you take offense.

Gray Wolf:

--- Quote from: swandivr on April 06, 2013, 09:16:29 PM ---I believe drug tests are an unwarranted intrusion on our privacy.Passing a drug test isn't the problem,it's the notion that a government can demand it that bothers me.We could argue that position that some take that driving isn't a right,but a granted privilege all night long,but at the end of the day,a drug test is an unwarranted intrusion and even worse,a suggestion that you must be a drug user if you take offense.

--- End quote ---

I'll have to agree with you on this one, swandivr.  If anyone thinks that it's not an intrusion into your civil liberties, then just see how far you would get if those "on the dole" were required to pass one in order to get monetary assistance.  It ain't fair!!   :(

Frosty:
Swandivr I agree with you that it is an intrusion in your privacy.
But look at it another way I'm required by the feds and by my employer to take random drug test because of the license I hold here in the states. I fill a lot better knowing that the guy on the interstate driving 75 mph with 5000 gallons gasoline behind him is sober and not high on something.

BudM:
I don't think anyone said anything about not wanting to take one might suggest you are a drug user if you take offense and I don't think anyone said that it isn't an intrusion on civil liberties.  They require it though so I would think that the best thing for anyone to do who gets so uncomfortable and upset over just decide that they are not going to go through the agony and then don't drive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version