Itís Your Money > Banking

where to store vital documents

(1/3) > >>

ArtPhaneuf:
Hi,

My questions are directed to members living full time in the Philippines and who no longer have a residence in the USA.

1. How do you maintain a USA checking/savings account without a permanent USA address?
2. Where do you keep important documents such as marriage and/or divorce certificates, life insurance, social security cards and any other important papers?

Thanks!

JeffersonFlies:
1) Have at least one friend who lives in the USA and is willing to get your mail (better yet, tell the branch you don\'t want mail).

2) Buy a GPS & shovel. Drive out to the middle of nowhere. Hike for 2 hours. Dig for 2 hours. Drop your box of goodies. Write down the GPS coordinates. Take the square root of all the numbers combined and have it tattooed on the inside of your eyelid backwards. Problem solved!

ArtPhaneuf:
HAHAHAHA Your answer is entertaining; however, my question is a serious one. I don\'t know whether or not to bring that stuff with me or to leave behind here with some trusted situation. I was wondering what other people have done that works well.

c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n:
1. bank safety deposit box
2. floor safe in the home

dylanaz:

--- Quote from: ArtPhaneuf on March 03, 2011, 01:04:01 AM ---1. How do you maintain a USA checking/savings account without a permanent USA address?

--- End quote ---

Banks such as Wells fargo (who happens to have a Philippine affiliate bank you can link to as well) may offer paperless accounts where everything is accessed online. As long as you keep the minimum balance it should never go away. SOME banks note they require activity and/or minimum balance.

ACTIVITY = link your account to paypal... and simply buy something once a year. Great way to send a gift back home - or even order things locally as I have done both with my USA account.

--- Quote ---2. Where do you keep important documents such as marriage and/or divorce certificates, life insurance, social security cards and any other important papers?

Thanks!

--- End quote ---

SOME banks have safe deposit boxes.. HOWEVER - they are VERY LIMITED IN NUMBER ! So keep your fingers crossed in finding one.

Prices I may recall correctly were

20x10x8 = 1500 pesos
20x20x20 = 1900 pesos

I was shocked at the high prices... thinking that\'s a LOT to pay each month.... until the bank manager informed me it was YEARLY !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version