Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: What are your recommended Philippine Investment Vehicles of Choice?  (Read 52047 times)

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: What are your recommended Philippine Investment Vehicles of Choice?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 04:01:16 AM »
Can I ask the names of the filipino banks which in fact offers a deal like 20% interest?

It was Legacy Group, a group of rural banks that has since been closed down by the PCIC because they were said to have been a pyramid scheme.

The highest that I have been able to find are
LBC royal earner is showing 8% now for 5 years. http://www.lbcbank.com.ph/deposits.html

BPI Time deposits, over 6% if you have big pesos to put in http://info.bpiexpressonline.com/bpiprod/produpd.nsf/Deposit+Rates/TimeDepositRates2
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 12:12:55 PM »
Talk to RCBC......they HAD a 12% time deposit (sort of)

No interest for first 5 years then the 12% kicked in

In effect you were only getting an average of 2% p.a. in that 6th year; growing gradually to 7% after 12 years and edging over 10% after 30 years

It\'s something I considered for my wife as a pension scheme

If you look around (not here) you can find 7-12% with various attachments

Offline callme

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 12:51:07 AM »
No way that I will invest any Norwegian Krone for as little as 6% in a filipino time deposit account.

I better go for the stockmarket.

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 01:01:12 AM »
No way that I will invest any Norwegian Krone for as little as 6% in a filipino time deposit account.

Funny you should say that  :D I have lost money over the years due to just the exchange rate, by putting money in a Philippine time deposit, but if you live in the Philippines and live on pesos, and keep some backup money in the Philippines, then it would seem to be the logical thing to do, to also keep some money in some time deposit vehicle. I personally always thought that it was best to keep the bulk of my money in the USA, not that there is much left nowadays  :\'( but lately I have been rethinking that.  :-\\
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 01:47:19 AM »

The Philippine stock market?

.....that\'s what the theme is about

Offline callme

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 02:24:46 AM »
Norwegian, Philippines, US.............you name it, I guess any stockmarket beats their national banks interest over a period of years.
And I am saving on a long time basis.
I just wanna save enough money for my retirement in PH, whenever that might be........ :-\\

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 10:58:30 AM »

\"go for the stockmarket\" is what I was told... and did... starting in the late 70s.  It was great... until I lost 50% of my money when the market crashed in the 80s.  I put what was left in bonds and time deposits.

\"go for the stockmarket\" is what I was told... and did... starting in the early 90s.  It was great, who could resist the dot com 200% returns... until I lost 60% of my money when the market and dot coms crashed beginning in 2000.  I put what was left in bonds and time deposits.

When I started hearing warnings of the problems with securitized bonds in early 2008, I took everything to cash and stayed sidelined until April of this year... when I put everything into government insured time deposits.  Overly-conservative??  Maybe, but for once I weathered a crash without losing a dime... and my measly 2-3% earnings feel great while I\'m listening to my buddies anguish over losing most of their retirement savings.

If it was insured and safe, which it is Not, I\'d put everything I have in 6% Philippine time deposits. Twice burned and now recently retired... I\'ll leave the stock market lottery to the younger guys to learn their own lessons... they have time to re-earn their losses.

(PS -- if you have any sure-thing, can\'t miss stock tips, send me a PM ;D)

Tom

Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline callme

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 10:33:12 PM »
Oki here is an advice for free:
1.Don\'t buy stocks for money you don\'t have(read: debt money!)

2.Don\'t sell any stocks unless you have made a profit.

No one demands you to sell, so when its a bears market only fools sells their stocks.
Bear market is buying time, not selling time.

But when its a bulls market, oh yeah, don\'t buy unless you really think in long term, and sell before the market collapse.

When its already collapse its to late, then you have to wait.
But so what! The stockmarket always recover.
Its only a matter of time............and patience!

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 05:34:07 AM »
Callme,

WOW  :o  Thanks a million for the advice!!!!  Why didn\'t I think of these ideas ::) ::) ::)

Let me make sure I have it right --- buy low and sell high...

And what else... oh yeah, remember to sell before the market collapses.  ;D ;D ;D

I also want to thank Steve Martin, who gave the following investment advice during one of his appearances on Saturday Night Live -- Steve\'s sure-fire advice on how to become a millionaire -- Step #1:  Start out with a million dollars in your bank account...
Step #2:  Repeat step #1.

On a more serious note, while I know that many investors disagree, I do agree with you that it is too risky to heavily margin your trading account. 

The U.S., during the 2000 time frame, permitted margining 50% of the market value of your holdings.  Many of those who were leveraged to the max when the rapid declines started could never get ahead of the curve and lost every dime in their accounts. Even worse, if they had made some high capital gain sales during the year before the crash and re-invested the gains in other stocks, they owed taxes on money they no longer had.  >:( >:( That will really ruin your day.

Also, your advice for what to do after a collapse begins and you have not yet sold... \"then you have to wait, But so what! The stockmarket always recover\"... only has a slim prayer of producing a net gain, but then for only an investor with an unlimited investment time horizon and unrestricted risk tolerance.   

This is the same advice Merrill Lynch brokers were giving during the dot com collapse, which wound up costing them 100s of millions of dollars during the 2002-04 round of breach fiduciary duty lawsuits and arbitration actions brought by thousands of their former clients, myself included.     

As I mentioned earlier, \"playing\" the market is a lot of fun when you have at least 20 years plus to retirement, or have large sums you can afford to lose.  But if you don\'t fit in those categories, don\'t kid yourself... it is \"playing\" and there are no guaranteed winning strategies... only educated guesses.

I hope you hang in there and \"Hold, Hold, Hold, Hold, Hold\" till you make millions.

Tom
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline callme

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 07:00:34 AM »

I hope you hang in there and \"Hold, Hold, Hold, Hold, Hold\" till you make millions.

Tom

I\'m glad I am 36 and not 63;)

Let me put it this way: Don\'t bet all your money in one horse(or everything in dot com stocks).
Spread your stocks into several businesses and reduce your risk for bubble burst.

I have 25-30 years more before I retire, I can still learn;)

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 01:01:46 PM »

\"go for the stockmarket\" is what I was told... and did... starting in the early 90s.  It was great, who could resist the dot com 200% returns... until I lost 60% of my money when the market and dot coms crashed beginning in 2000.  I put what was left in bonds and time deposits.....

(PS -- if you have any sure-thing, can\'t miss stock tips, send me a PM ;D)

Tom

Tom,
I got a tip for ya....
If ya can earn 200% on your money then lose 60% of what you have after that,
Heck I\'d borrow money for those odds
that is still a 20% ROI
($100 x 200%= $200 + $100 investment= $300 x 40%= $120)
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 01:35:48 PM »
Gold!!!

From what I understand those who invested in Gold at the start of this latest upheaval are up 50% in value rather than having lost their trousers. No Philippine investments, just invest in gold and leave it there till you need it. It holds its value, sure it goes up and down, but more up than down.

Wayne   ;D ;D
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 04:35:43 PM »
Miracle of miracles ... I agree with all of the last few posts  :)

Wayne - too bad we didn\'t all buy gold any time during the last 10 years and sit on it.  We could fill this page up with smiley faces.

Rufus -- Your absolutely right... I did not have a net loss, far from it. But, I did lose 60% of the total account balance when the declines hit.  And yes, I too would sign up for it again if the tech returns of the 90s could be duplicated... maybe I\'d be smart enough to \"bail\" instead of \"hold\" when they started down next time.

During the dot com frenzy you could throw darts at the NASDAQ technology and telecom equities list and make money.  Half the people I knew suddenly considered themselves financial gurus and became \"day traders.\"  Amazon, Intel, any IPO with a \"dot com\" in its name, don\'t worry, just buy it... ahhh, those were the good ole days, but those days are long gone, and everybody has gone back to work. 

Callme -- Man, wish I was 36 again (I\'m 57).  At that age I agree, you can buy just about anything... land, gold, stocks (you might want to get safe blue chips like GM and AIG  ;D) and hold it 25 years and make money.  However, at my age, I will not turn up my nose at a 6% annual return on any investment vehicle that does not put my principal at risk. 

Tom   

Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 05:23:49 PM »
If you have 20 more working years to recapture any potential stock market losses, yes speculate in the stock market

If you don\'t......then INVEST in more secured diversified products TDs, bonds, commodities

This is NOT a moment of wisdom from me but what any financial adviser should be telling all their clients

NOT A FINANCIAL ADVISOR  ;)

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 02:14:52 AM »
I wholly agree... and would be much better off had I followed the above well established wisdom.

Not only am I not a financial advisor, but I am apparently a financial moron - since I followed just the opposite advice from my Financial Advisor, who unfortunately was also apparently a financial moron.

Tom
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH