Getting Prepared For The Philippines > Boats

Living aboard a sailboat

(1/2) > >>

balutsky:
It is always my dream to sail.  Now that I'm retired, I'm thinking of making my dreams a reality.  I'm thinking of buying a used sailboat to live aboard.  As far as experience in sailing is concern, I guess it is safe to say that I'm a novice.  I'm planning on going back to the States next year in the spring, to take some classes to get ASA (American Sailing Association) certified.  I'm also planning on buying a used boat and sailed it back here in the Philippines.  I was wondering if we have any member of this group that have any sailing experience and experience on living aboard.  Also what are the pitfalls in buying a used sailboat?  I cannot afford to buy a new boat.

FastWalk:
I don't have experience with sail,  but some with cruiser.   Your plan sure sounds like fun.

How large will your crew be ?  family ?


David690:

--- Quote from: balutsky on June 23, 2017, 09:02:22 PM ---It is always my dream to sail.  Now that I'm retired, I'm thinking of making my dreams a reality.  I'm thinking of buying a used sailboat to live aboard.  As far as experience in sailing is concern, I guess it is safe to say that I'm a novice.  I'm planning on going back to the States next year in the spring, to take some classes to get ASA (American Sailing Association) certified.  I'm also planning on buying a used boat and sailed it back here in the Philippines.  I was wondering if we have any member of this group that have any sailing experience and experience on living aboard.  Also what are the pitfalls in buying a used sailboat?  I cannot afford to buy a new boat.

--- End quote ---

I have a Hunter 326 sailboat.  My sailing is around the Arabian Gulf based in Dubai.  We don't get much in the way of bad weather so sailing here is pretty easy.  What you are planning is in a whole different league.  I wish you well but really suggest you get some long distance cruising under your bely before attempting the crossing from US to Philippines.  I also had in mind to sail my boat to Philippines from Dubai but decided against it for many reasons.  One of them being the risk of being boarded and kidnapped and the other purely financial, the import duties and taxes are crippling.

balutsky:

--- Quote from: FastWalk on June 23, 2017, 09:24:50 PM ---I don't have experience with sail,  but some with cruiser.   Your plan sure sounds like fun.

How large will your crew be ?  family ?

--- End quote ---

It is just gonna be myself and my asawa.  I'm pretty excited.

balutsky:

--- Quote from: David690 on June 24, 2017, 04:41:03 AM ---I have a Hunter 326 sailboat.  My sailing is around the Arabian Gulf based in Dubai.  We don't get much in the way of bad weather so sailing here is pretty easy.  What you are planning is in a whole different league.  I wish you well but really suggest you get some long distance cruising under your bely before attempting the crossing from US to Philippines.  I also had in mind to sail my boat to Philippines from Dubai but decided against it for many reasons.  One of them being the risk of being boarded and kidnapped and the other purely financial, the import duties and taxes are crippling.

--- End quote ---

I agree that I should get more experience under my belt before crossing the pacific.  Do you think your 32 footer is big enough to live aboard?  I'm thinking of 33 footer at the minimum.  If I do buy a boat, I will keep it registered in the US.  I guess I need to look at the laws here in the Philippines on how it works.  Either way, I would not register a boat here as you have mentioned " import duties and taxes are crippling."  As far as pirates are concerned, that is always an issue.  However, if we do not take risk, we are limiting ourselves.  Just my 2 cents.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version