Welcome to the Forum! > Meet Your Neighbors

Bathroom Reading Material

(1/3) > >>

Drew:
Hi all,  I'm Drew from a rurual area in Alberta Canada and retired recently from twenty years military and another twenty or so in the workforce (trucking and oilfeild.)  Met my Philippino wife about five years ago here and we're moving to 'Flipperland' in a couple months. Bacolod City area to be more precise. 

I never really laid down a lot of roots so, moving where my wife has brothers, sisters, a few kids, grandkids, neices and nephews and a lifetime of neighbors seems the right thing to do as my only real ties here are my daughter who is soon to be married and, she has her own life at the other end of the country. The math as well as the atraction of having an instant family is something I very much look forward to.

I've travelled all my life, both in the military and out of it while trucking.  Being away from home has been my lot in life it seems and now, I look forward to the time where I won't have to move and can set down my middle aged roots and relax.  I've had a lot of aquaintences  ask me how I can just up and leave to go to some place so strange and far away.  The answer I give them that seems to make them happy is "I get a small pension from the army so, either work for the rest of my life here or relax there."  The truth is, I never really lived here.  It was always a home base from which to go to work so, having the opportunity to go to a place where people are people, more happier and carefree and don't spend their social life bragging about how many acres of land they own, what they made in mutual funds or how they are more 'giterdun' than the next fellow is something I look forward to. 

The past few months have been pretty interesting and emotional as I 'blow out' all the aspects of my life that up till now were valuable and material - semi, trucks, motorcyles, winter work clothes, tools, weights and furniture.  I watch them go up on the local FB buy and sell (at pretty good prices) lightly haggle with whomever comes to pick them up and then watch pieces of my life leave the house.  Rarely can I remember what I paid for each item but I do remember where and why I bought and used them.  Never to see a blizzard covered pipeline at two am ever again.  Mixed emotions - glad they're gone but sad those days are over.

Heading out at the end of August to go east for the daughter's wedding.  Will take a few weeks to camp, hike and hotel, see the sights, relax and then the wedding and the airport to embrace the next flare of my life - the Philippines.

Anyhow, if you made it this far, thanks, you're more patient than I am as I would have stopped at 'Hi I'm XX' and said welcome.  I look forward to learning and laughing here with everybody else. 

Oh, first question;  Will I be able to survive on $20,000 US per month?    ::)  2nd;  How can I get $20,000 per month?

bigrod:
Welcome.  Saw a few of the Canadian units/sites in the mid 70s while station with the 24th NORAD Region at Malmstrom AFB, MT. We had 52 Canucks stationed at the Hqs.  They were great fun at parties.

Chuck

FastWalk:
Nice intro,  makes perfect sense.  It will for sure be an adventure. 

Dawg:
Welcome Drew!

Best advice I have for you is to keep patient. Much like you I gained an instant family when I married my pinay. Mostly it's good but there are some bumps...mostly misunderstandings or translation issues. So...sit back, smile a lot and read about all the past mistakes that are posted here in the archives. That alone will save you thousands in pesos and gray hair!

Congrats to your daughter!

Where are you planning on living?

M.C.A.:
Hi Drew... I was stationed in Whidbey Is SAR, H-3 Helicopters, Washington back in 88 - 91 and we worked with a Canadian military group off an island forgot the name but it was remote it had many oysters on the shoreline.  I'm from Grand Forks ND and we had many Canadians come down for shopping.

I don't miss the winters either and a good idea you sold your goods before leaving. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version