Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Current arrival requirements to arrive in Philippines  (Read 6056 times)

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Current arrival requirements to arrive in Philippines
« on: February 22, 2022, 03:21:03 PM »
I'm posting this just so it's on the site what all is required currently to enter the Philippines. 
Note: this could all be different tomorrow with how quickly stuff changes with the forced fear of covid that governments enlist to believe
I was just in Guam.  Went over there to get the hell away from here for a week.  Also did a few other things that are neither here nor there.
Getting there was very easy as it is an American territory and I am an American.  All I needed to arrive there and not need to undergo a 2 week quarantine was a negative antigen or RT-PCR test.  I went down to Tacloban and got the antigen test done and the next day flew out.  Took only a couple hours so I got the test, ran to immigration, got the exit clearance, then went back and the result was there.
Now, a side note, and a if I knew then what I know now and circumstances were different...I was only in Guam a week.  If it was two weeks, I wouldn't have even  bothered with the antigen test.  They do very little to "follow quarantine" in Guam.  They basically just trust you'll do it yourself and that's pretty much it.  But, for what I had to do, I got the antigen test.
Now, come back was a different game.  I planned this trip in January, before the new rules came.  I actually had a folder full of stuff that I would need to go to the Philippine General Consulate and get a 9a visa so I could return.  But, at the beginning of Feb, the Phils opened back up.  I failed to see what all that meant.  I learned while in Guam and that made it a little fun.
First, I was no longer allowed my interview.  I mean that.  I had an appointment scheduled for my interview for the 9a and I was told that because the Phils were open, they would not waste their time or my money on me getting a 9a.  And then they flat out canceled the appointment/interview.  I know that is what THIS consulate did, and that doesn't mean you should expect others to do the same. 
Then I was told the new requirements were a negative RT-PCR test(not an antigen, get back to that in a sec) and I also needed travel insurance.  Without both, I would not be allowed on the plane back to the Philippines.
First, the negative test.  I suggest you get those 4 days before your return date.  They rarely are same day, so expect the next day, which will put you in the 24-48 hours window that the airlines allow(they look at the date, not the time, at least in my experience).  And it gives you a touch of safety if it takes more than a day to get your results(almost happened to me).
Then for the insurance.  Also the big reason I am doing this on here.  You WILL WANT to get your insurance BEFORE you begin your trip.  It's amazing how many insurance companies will NOT insure you if you are in the middle of your trip.  I got lucky and found one, but damn, it was close.  I got lucky when a customer service rep at Squaremouth.com helped me out and gave me a number for insuremytrip.com when she realized I was in a bind.  There I was able to be setup with a company that covered me mid trip.  If I would have been aware of this before I left the Philippines, it would have been MUCH easier and cheaper to boot, to insure the whole trip going both ways.
So, now to when I am leaving.  As I got in line at the airport, the kids in front of me(couldn't have been much more than HS grad, college kid) got in line and as the airport worker woman was moving down the line checking to make sure we all had all the requirements, he stated it had his antigen test in with his boarding pass.  That started a long conversation.  He was allowed to stay in line and see what happened.  He never made it to the gate.  As of now, the Philippines will not accept the antigen test. ONLY the RT-PCR test. 
So, if you are planning a trip that ends in the Philippines...
make sure you get your RT-PCR test 4 days before you flight to the Philippines happens, and make sure you have travel insurance.  After that, all is back to normal.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Current arrival requirements to arrive in Philippines
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 08:49:06 AM »
I arrived in Phils on Feb. 20 from Canada.

The strict rule I had to observe was obtaining a negative RT-PCR test, taken no more than 48 hours before departure.  If taken 3 days ahead, worthless.  Where I live, just try to get results in under 48 hours between test and flight.  Most labs say results in 48-72 hours.  So I had to pay USD300 for results guaranteed in 24 hours.

Also, coming from N. America, required to show proof of vaccination (I assume JoeLP you were excused from that) as well as proof of covid insurance of not less than USD35,000.  If you cannot show the airline policy wording specifically saying the policy covers covid, they don't let you fly.

Here, in Iloilo, I must quarantine for 5 days, take covid test on Day 5, then wait in quarantine for maybe 2 for days for results.

Definitely my worst trip to the Phils in 30 years.  Probably my last if things stay anything like they are now.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Re: Current arrival requirements to arrive in Philippines
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 11:14:07 AM »
I arrived in Phils on Feb. 20 from Canada.

The strict rule I had to observe was obtaining a negative RT-PCR test, taken no more than 48 hours before departure.  If taken 3 days ahead, worthless.  Where I live, just try to get results in under 48 hours between test and flight.  Most labs say results in 48-72 hours.  So I had to pay USD300 for results guaranteed in 24 hours.

Also, coming from N. America, required to show proof of vaccination (I assume JoeLP you were excused from that) as well as proof of covid insurance of not less than USD35,000.  If you cannot show the airline policy wording specifically saying the policy covers covid, they don't let you fly.

Here, in Iloilo, I must quarantine for 5 days, take covid test on Day 5, then wait in quarantine for maybe 2 for days for results.

Definitely my worst trip to the Phils in 30 years.  Probably my last if things stay anything like they are now.
Actually, I forgot about the vaccination proof requirement.  Both going to Guam and the Philippines there were QR code scans that could be used and in setting those up I added a pic of my proof of vaccination to it.  Was never asked to show it going either way due to that most likely.  The QR codes had everything in the, including proof of travel insurance.  Despite that, I was asked to show the physical(paper) proof of that.  But never asked to show the physical(paper) proof of the test or proof of vaccination.  Those I'm guessing they just accepted the digital copies I had in the QR code linked setup. 
I did miss the point where the travel insurance required $35K in covid coverage.  But, when I was looking for insurance, the minute I put my destination as the Philippines, it was assume that was needed and all of them carried it on the sites I went to or by the people I called.
I underwent no quarantine here in the Philippines.  Flew from Guam to Manila then from Manila to Tacloban just a few hours later.  From there went home and been here no issues since. 
I feel the elected officials where I live have been more reluctant to enforce anything when it comes to things like masks or vaccination or any real checking of proof of vaccination.  They seem to only pay lip service to these things because they are expected to.  The number of fake vaccinations that I personally know about so people can get into the mall and such places are pretty damn high.  Talking 100s of them.  And the people at the mall barely glance at them.  So if there is any push by Manila to quarantine us foreigners returning, the local elected officials are paying it no heed.  So we have been free to just go about and do as we please as soon as we return.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.