Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: which visa to apply for?  (Read 2854 times)

Johnw

which visa to apply for?
« on: February 24, 2008, 07:44:43 PM »
I am currently living in the philippines with my filipina wife. i arrived here on a tourist visa although we are already married. my tourist visa is expiring soon march 4, i plan on being here for a long period of time. would it be best to just keep extending my tourist visa or should i apply for a permanent resident visa? also if i apply for a permanent resident visa do i still need to extend my tourist visa for the mean time while i am waiting for my permanent resident visa to be approved? once approved for a permanent resident visa will i not have to extend my visa anymore for a long period of time? Last question I read there was a Bureau of Immigration extension office in Makati but the BOI website didnt provide info on where it was located does anyone know where it is and is it just for permanent residence applicants or is it a full service center where I can also extend my tourist visa? thank you!   ???

Re: which visa to apply for?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 09:01:38 PM »
I am currently living in the philippines with my filipina wife. i arrived here on a tourist visa although we are already married. my tourist visa is expiring soon march 4, i plan on being here for a long period of time. would it be best to just keep extending my tourist visa or should i apply for a permanent resident visa? also if i apply for a permanent resident visa do i still need to extend my tourist visa for the mean time while i am waiting for my permanent resident visa to be approved? once approved for a permanent resident visa will i not have to extend my visa anymore for a long period of time? Last question I read there was a Bureau of Immigration extension office in Makati but the BOI website didnt provide info on where it was located does anyone know where it is and is it just for permanent residence applicants or is it a full service center where I can also extend my tourist visa? thank you!   ???

Someone will correct me if I an wrong on some of the details. I assume you arrived on a tourist visa then got married, in which case you can continue renewing them for up to one year after which you must temporarily leave the country. You can extend tourist visas in any local Bureau of Immigration office. If you leave and return with your wife you can then get Balikbayan status which is valid for one year. You then have the choice of either applying during that year for a 13a visa or repeating the exit and return. I am not sure on this point, but I believe you can keep repeating the Balikbayan system. If you decide to go for the 13a you need to go to the Bureau of Imigration which is in Intramuros not Makati; any taxi driver will know where it is. The initial 13a is temporary and you have make it permanent after one year. You need to get your I-card at the same time as the 13a.

Colin

Re: which visa to apply for?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 10:37:50 PM »

Someone will correct me if I an wrong on some of the details. I assume you arrived on a tourist visa then got married, in which case you can continue renewing them for up to one year after which you must temporarily leave the country. You can extend tourist visas in any local Bureau of Immigration office. If you leave and return with your wife you can then get Balikbayan status which is valid for one year. You then have the choice of either applying during that year for a 13a visa or repeating the exit and return. I am not sure on this point, but I believe you can keep repeating the Balikbayan system. If you decide to go for the 13a you need to go to the Bureau of Imigration which is in Intramuros not Makati; any taxi driver will know where it is. The initial 13a is temporary and you have make it permanent after one year. You need to get your I-card at the same time as the 13a.

Colin

John,

Some small corrections to Colin\'s post. You can now extend your Tourist Visa up to 2 years not 1 year but I have heard that it may be a problem beyond 18 months. If you apply for your 13a residence this full 2 year may be OK if needed. I suggest you read the info from the new regs:

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=391.0

A further 6 months over your initial 12 month Tourist Visa should be more than enough time, with the new procedures to get your 13a, then you will NOT need to leave at all ( yes you do need to extend while applying for the 13a). If you do decide to exit now & take your wife, then go for a Balikbayan stamp on your return (take your marriage cert & get your wife to ask for it) which will give you 12 months clear to get your 13a.