Getting Prepared For The Philippines > Driving and Vehicles in RP

ATV\'s

(1/2) > >>

grim7us:
Are ATV\'s available in PI, I am looking for a Honda, Kawasaki or Yamaha.  I have looked on line but found little info.

shadow:
Yes, they are available, but for the Japanese brands more expensive than in the States.

There are many China models available at low cost. Most are absolute crap. There are also Taiwanese brands available, such as Eton, Kymco, and Aeon (Aeon makes many Polaris models)

The Taiwan models are much better quality than the China brands, but not quite to the quality standards of the Japanese brands. The Taiwan brands cost about twice as much as the China units, and about half what the Japanese units do.

Expect to be disappointed in engine displacement options. Keep in mind that over half of the motor vehicles in this country are 660 CC or less, and that there are stiff import duties on any motorcycle over about 230 CC.

Larry in Dumaguete

coutts00:

--- Quote from: shadow on February 19, 2008, 09:43:43 AM ---
Expect to be disappointed in engine displacement options. Keep in mind that over half of the motor vehicles in this country are 660 CC or less, and that there are stiff import duties on any motorcycle over about 230 CC.
--- End quote ---

99.9% of the motorcycles in this country, have engines of 125 -110cc some newer 4 strokes have 175cc, my scooter has 150cc. I tell you it is a big let down from riding a BMW, almost none of us are small, which our asawas like no end, with this in mind, remember to add an acceleration delay to your driving habits, when you want to go faster, open the throttle, reach down with your left hand and wind up the rubber band tighter, then get off and run beside the bike as it might go faster this way, I say might go faster.

Do not expect anything here to go fast, its for fuel efficiency not the sheer thrill of the ride.

Gone are the days of hitting 280kmph on my bemmer, they are only a dream now, I am lucky if I can get 80kmph, over the edge of a cliff with a tail wind.

Wayne

:
In the over 2 years of driving in the Philippines, I doubt if I have seen more than a handful of motorcycles over 200cc. Apart from a bit of useful acceleration, you could not use the extra power because of the majority of bad roads. Also the the very poor driving standards here would make motorcycling dangerous. I used to ride motorcycles in the UK, but it is something I would not even consider here. I read somewhere that the Philippines has the highest death rate for motorcyclists in Asia. Not sure how true it is, but it is certainly believable.

Colin

:
Every weekend every type of motor bike you can think of is on its way past us going to Tagaytay. I see many Japanese big bikes, Ninja\'s, Fireblades, etc & others like Ducati\'s. As for ATV\'s, yes see them around also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version