Living in The Philippines > Languages, Learning History, Politics etc.

Labor Day Demostrations

<< < (3/3)

jjcabgou:
I went golfing. :)

Sam218:
Most Filipinos celebrate labor day by protesting,  typically to bring attention to the existing or current issues that affect the workers. If you got no work during this day, you could try going outside of the city and visit provinces or islands. It could be a great opportunity to travel and go away from the hustle and bustle of city life. One of the places I'd recommend is Bicol. They have such awesome people and a majestic Mayon volcano.

Peter:

--- Quote from: Sam218 on October 08, 2018, 01:34:45 PM ---Most Filipinos celebrate labor day by protesting,  typically to bring attention to the existing or current issues that affect the workers..

--- End quote ---

I must disagree with you there. In nearly all the provinces I've been to or have knowledge of, most Filipinos do not go protesting. They treat holidays as days of rest/family time. That is if they aren't working, which most daily wage earners will try to do.

Maybe those in the larger cities feel the urge to go and protest, but I posit that most Filipinos are actually residing outside of urban areas.

100 million plus of population. So most would equal more than 50 million? Even large scale protests in Manila don't number more that a few thousand, maybe 10 if they're lucky, as has been reported on the TV News in the past.

My thoughts only of course.

Peter

Sam218:

--- Quote from: Peter on October 09, 2018, 03:43:49 PM ---I must disagree with you there. In nearly all the provinces I've been to or have knowledge of, most Filipinos do not go protesting. They treat holidays as days of rest/family time. That is if they aren't working, which most daily wage earners will try to do.

Maybe those in the larger cities feel the urge to go and protest, but I posit that most Filipinos are actually residing outside of urban areas.

100 million plus of population. So most would equal more than 50 million? Even large scale protests in Manila don't number more that a few thousand, maybe 10 if they're lucky, as has been reported on the TV News in the past.

My thoughts only of course.

Peter

--- End quote ---

You are actually right. I should not have used the word most because the number of Filipinos who chooses to spend the holiday with their family really outnumber those who join protests. But during labor day, expect to see rally not only in the big cities but even in provinces.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version