Itís Your Money > Social Security and Pensions

Social Security and divorce

(1/1)

napamoore:
I\'m curious if a divorce impacts the amount of social security you receive. I\'ll be 65 next year. I\'ve been divorced for almost 2 now. Has anyone in a similar circumstance found their benefits reduced due to the divorce factor?

aerosick:

--- Quote from: napamoore on June 15, 2008, 08:30:00 AM ---I\'m curious if a divorce impacts the amount of social security you receive. I\'ll be 65 next year. I\'ve been divorced for almost 2 now. Has anyone in a similar circumstance found their benefits reduced due to the divorce factor?

--- End quote ---

Go to http://www.ssa.gov/ and search for \"divorce\". I came up with this:

--- Quote ---If you are divorced after at least 10 years of marriage, you can collect retirement benefits on your former spouse\'s Social Security record if you are at least age 62 and if your former spouse is entitled to or receiving benefits. If you remarry, you generally cannot collect benefits on your former spouse\'s record unless your later marriage ends (whether by death, divorce, or annulment).
--- End quote ---

napamoore:
Thanks Aero, I had seen that statement too, but not trusting the unknown meaning the government sometimes puts into their wording, I was hoping someone with a situation similar to mine could tell me if any reduction happened to them.

stillbilly2002:
Napamoore ,† your not listening ,your benefit\'s cannot be reduced. but you cannot collect on hers. ;) please ,this forum is about good info not he said she said.† :) stillbilly-san .This is not Indiana Jones. Their is no secret meaning to ssi statements, i would be glad to go over them with you. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version